FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedToddler waking same time every night

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AntonyP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntonyP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toddler waking same time every night
    Posted: 02 February 2016 at 1:35pm
Hi there

We have a 2 1/2 year old, Ben :) He's been in a single bed for about 6 months now and seems to love it. We've had to move house recently to my parents for a while. Before moving his sleeping was pretty good. He would go to sleep about 6:30pm-7:00pm and wake up 5:30am-7:00am. 9/10 times he wouldn't wake in the middle of the night which was an improvement over the beginning of last year.

Now after moving he has been waking up in the middle of the night without fail. For the first few weeks we just put it down to being a new room and house and that he just wasn't comfortable with waking up in middle of night in his room. We got a little night light to maybe help this shock when he woke up in the dark.

It's been about 5 weeks and for the last three weeks or so he is in this routine. 12:00am-1:00am crys in bed. Will sit next to him but hands me his blankets, climbs on me and points at door to come into our room. We will sit him in our bed and after about 2min he will ask for a bottle, I give him a small bottle, he finishes it, I say "It's night time buddy, and it's time to go back to bed". He will then fall asleep fine and wake up about 6:30am.

When I get him out of bed I have a discussion with him that it's night time outside and everyone is sleeping and he should be too. He talks back like he understand, but doesn't care :P

Is there a way to break this routine? Are we just going to have to be strict and not get him out of his room, give him a hug, say it's bed time and let him cry? That's the only idea we have so far but wanted advise before trying it.

My Fiancee's pregnant and can just manage to fall asleep before he wakes, and I get interrupted about 2 hours into my sleep, which as I'm sure all parents know effects your sleep quite alot :D

Many thanks!
Sponsored Links

Mushroom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mushroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2016 at 2:11pm
Hi,

It does sound like you are going to have to wean him off needing you again. If every night you are leaving him to cry, then taking him into your room and giving him a bottle, I'd probably go in sooner and offer him a bottle in his room (so first try and cut out the part about getting into your room).

If he is getting himself worked up (won't stop crying sort of thing when you go in), then we've found taking our son out into the lounge for a drink of water with the light on has helped him 'reset', then taking him back to bed in a calmer state.

The 'checking in' method also works well, where you pop in every 2 mins, assure them you are there, wish them goodnight and they need to lie down in bed and try to sleep, and that you'll come back and check in another 2 mins (set a timer!). Works well rather than just leaving them to cry for ages (if that is what he does when you leave), as they can handle the fact you're just popping out for a few mins ('making myself a tea, then I'll be back' sort of thing) - and once they get used to it you just make it a longer and longer period of time (I'll come back in 5 mins, 8 mins, 10 mins...) until finally they are asleep! So they're settling when you are not there.

Good luck!
Me: 35, PCOS, endo, DH: 34, severe MFI
6+ yrs TTC#2
M/C 2012, clomid 2013, IVM 2014, IVF 2015, M/C 2015
2016 FET#1- BFP - MMC - Emergency D&C
FET#2 - BFN
Jul 16 - stage 3 endo removed.
Oct 16 BFP
AntonyP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntonyP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2016 at 2:14pm
Thanks for that! The tips on if he won't stop crying help! Because obviously we'll just give in to what we know works haha.

Yeah I was planning on trying and giving him bottles in his room, we do have a little couch in there. It's just a bit odd, as I can't once remember him ever asking for a bottle in the middle of the night, we use to only give them to him if he needed to calm down. Which is what makes me think about this routine / comfort thing he's got going at the moment.

Thanks!
antheawren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antheawren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2016 at 3:36pm
I've had this problem just recently - until 3 days ago Lol! He will continue waking for the bottle and attention we switched our daughters to water and wouldn't take her out of her room it took 2 nights and for the first time in her young life she is now sleeping through the night !

Miscarriage 5 1/2 weeks Nov 14
Miscarriage 6 weeks September 15
Sophie12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2017 at 8:27pm
Among toddlers, night waking is normal and there are lots of possible reasons for waking at every night like over-tired at bedtime, nightmares or night terrors, being too hot or too cold, a wet nappy, poor sleep habits, hunger or thirst etc.

Grased232248 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grased232248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2018 at 8:13pm
Nice forum but one thing is missing that is the toddler hairstyles and haircuts i share the link that is about the hairstyles hope you like this .
https://www.mrkidshaircuts.com/toddler-boy-haircuts/
 Post Reply Post Reply