FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDonating Sperm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
blissful View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blissful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Donating Sperm
    Posted: 27 February 2016 at 11:19pm
Hi - I'm just wondering if anyone can answer some questions.

We froze a sample of my husbands sperm last year but we won't be using it. Someone that we know is on the waiting list for donor sperm so if it is possible to do so we would like to offer it to her.

Can someone please tell me what the process is for donating sperm to someone you know?
Is there a certain amount/volume required? We only have the one sample and it won't be possible to do another but advised that it was a good sample.
Is there a different screening process when the recipient and donor are known to each other?
Do we go to counselling sessions together or all seperately?
I'm assuming the legal side of things is taken care of by FA??
Any questions we should ask when we call to discuss with the clinic?

I want to make sure it's possible before I discuss it with her. Would hate to get her hopes up.

Edited by blissful - 27 February 2016 at 11:23pm
Sponsored Links

antheawren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antheawren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2016 at 9:07am
I know nothing but just wanted to say what a beautiful gift!

Miscarriage 5 1/2 weeks Nov 14
Miscarriage 6 weeks September 15
babycrazy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2016 at 11:06am
Agreed a beautiful gift to be giving. It will mean a lot to your friends if it works out. I would suggest calling FA for advice. I've only been on the receiving end of an anon donor so can only share what I know from that perspective. I think all donors have to undergo testing regardless of whether you know them or not.
And that's probably about all I can offer I'm sorry. All the best xx
TTC since Oct 2009
4 x DI's failed
IVF1 CP & MC
IVF2 CP
IVF3 Angel baby born 22.3wks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antheawren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2016 at 12:10pm
8 years ago when I was with my ex husband our friend donated sperm for us as my ex had a zero sperm count his first lot had to be tested and then he had to do 3 separate donations after that! I didn't comment before as I don't know if things will have changed now! But that also doesn't mean they may just use the one donation he has!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antheawren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2016 at 12:11pm
Also our donor had to do a counseling session but we never had to do one together!

Miscarriage 5 1/2 weeks Nov 14
Miscarriage 6 weeks September 15
 Post Reply Post Reply