FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedibuprofen + paracetamol

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AzzaNZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzzaNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ibuprofen + paracetamol
    Posted: 29 August 2008 at 1:40pm
My 18 month old has a viral infection and the doctor has given ibuprofen and paracetamol... but he didnt say whether they could be given at the same time or had to be given separately and DP says our little one was screaming so much he forgot to ask.

Does anyone know?
Sponsored Links

jaycee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaycee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2008 at 1:46pm
I THINK that they can be given together as they are different. Also ibuprofen lasts longer thatn pamol - our Dr said about 6 -8 hours as opposed to 4 for pamol.

Maybe call Healthline to check or call back the doctors and talk to a nurse - I did that after Amy's first imunisations (freaked out first time Mum!!) and they talked me thought the pamol doses for her weight/age and how often you can give it etc (and they are usually much nicer than the Drs )

caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2008 at 2:07pm
Ella was given them both at the same time at the A & E, when she had a raging fever.
I think they recommend giving them 2 hours apart generally though.
Mel, Mummy to E: 6, B: 4 and:

Redbedrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redbedrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2008 at 2:12pm
You can give pamol 4-6 hourly and I think Ibruprofen 8 hourly, so if you give one half way thorugh the time with the other dose you can top them up.One is metabolised by the kidneys and the other by the liver which is why you can use them simultaneously like that. But if she is that bad then two doses together will give her a good base dose and then go 6 and 8 hourly from there
AzzaNZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzzaNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2008 at 2:32pm
Thank you!
Nefertiti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nefertiti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2008 at 3:35pm
My 8yr old has just been give ibuprofen due to having a fever up to 41 since Monday after school. This is also viral. The pharmacist said this:

Give pamol every 6 hours.
In between (so after 3hrs since pamol) give ibuprofen. Also the ibuprofen needs to be given with food or it can cause an upset tummy.

Pamol should only be given 4 times in 24hrs....(every 6 hrs) otherwise it can have a damaging effect on the liver.

Even though my daughter is 8yrs and your child is 18mths, this guideline will still apply.

I have phoned Healthline 5 times in the past 2 years with 2 being most recent and each time I find them absolutely useless. I phoned to ask something about my pregnancy which a nurse (as she introduced herself as) should have known this basic question as I was just wanting to confirm what I thought was right; anyway, she immediately as to put me on hold while she looked into it.....12 mins later she still wasnt back...I gave up and hung up.
And when I phoned about the ibuprofen, she couldnt even answer if it should be taken with food or not....I phoned the pharmacist in the end.
Sorry to hijack! :)

I hope your little one is better soon...
Nefertiti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nefertiti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2008 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by Redbedrock Redbedrock wrote:

But if she is that bad then two doses together will give her a good base dose and then go 6 and 8 hourly from there

I wouldn't do this; especially with an 18mth old!
jaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2008 at 3:56pm
Definately two hours apart and the ibuprofen with food (or milk). Caleb got prescribed the same thing last Friday at A&E for a viral infection.
AzzaNZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzzaNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2008 at 5:03pm
DP gave her ibuprofen mixed in with her milk, she took it and fell asleep 15 minutes later - wonderful! (sleep is few and far between at the moment)

2 hours later he gave her the paracetamol.
TysMummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TysMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2008 at 5:46pm
there both pain relief so it depends how drugged out you want your kid to be........ty was critical in hospital with RV.......they overdosed him......so wat im saying is be careful...i know its sad to watch babies scream, but i think docs are too quick to jump to medication. Good luck in your decision.
Carol25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carol25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2014 at 1:42pm
Giving medicine to a baby is serious, you should ask your doctor or pharmacist. Or phone the healthline 0800611116
 Post Reply Post Reply