FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPlaycentre Mums!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
My3Sons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote My3Sons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Playcentre Mums!
    Posted: 12 April 2008 at 11:10am

We have done 2 of our 3 visits at our local Playcentre and I am keen to start properly next term.  They have explained a little to me about how it works etc and I realise there is alot of commitment involved which I dont mind, I understand there are a couple of starter courses that I need to do?  Also a montly meeting.  Do any of you  experienced playcentre mums have any advice or stories about your experiences with playcentre?  Thanks!!

Mum to Mr 10, Mr 6 and Mr 4

Sponsored Links

Jessica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2008 at 11:20am
I am thinking of joining playcentre as well so will watch this thread with interest.

Our con-joined boys 20 wk
KH25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KH25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2008 at 12:27pm
Lol we have done 2 out of our 3 visits aswell!! We will also be joining up properly next term as Ashleigh is loving it! Not sure about what courses etc need to be done - I think the other mums don't want to scare anyone off by going through all that just yet, so I'm sure I will find out in due course lol
Kelly, mum to DD, 19Jun06 (26wks 1lb15oz) DS1, 24Oct10 (32wks 4lb11oz) and DS2, 31Dec11 (32wks, 4lb11)
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2008 at 12:43pm
i have never been a playcentre mum but my sister was for years. she stayed with the same playcentre till both her kids went to school. she loved it. she did say tho that it took a bit to find the one that she clicked with. she ended up being on their committee and getting really involved.

My3Sons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote My3Sons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2008 at 10:52am

just bumping this up, would still love to hear from any playcentre mums!

peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2008 at 11:02am
PM rachandjack...she goes I think
2bmumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2bmumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2008 at 11:40am
Hi guys, well I've been involved in a playcentre in the wairapa for 3 years now an I couldn't be more happy with it. The opportunity to be your childs first teacher with NZQA accredited training provided free of charge is just too good to turn up. I undertook course 2 training whilst I had a 20month old and a 3 month old so it was pretty hard going, but the team members were more than obliging with help an the information provided was, in my opinion, invaluable. My kids have and are thriving young boys who get soo much out of what playcentre has to offer. The huge range of activities offered enables preschoolers to try out things that most mums cringe at (or simply don't think about) the idea of doing at home. It's a great support network for mums also, lots of advice to be heard if you so wish. Yes there is committment on the mums behalf, but it's definately worth it, plus you get the chance to try out different positions which you could use later on in life. For me personally I was always quite a shy and reserved person with little confidence when dealing with other people. Playcentre has helped me grow alot and develop self confidence that has proven great for dealing with what life throws at you. As you can probably pickup I'm very passionate about playcentre and simply can't understand why there aren't more mums involved. Good luck to all who do decide to join, you won't regret it after seeing how it aids your childrens development.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2008 at 11:47am
Maya and I did PLaycentre for about 2 years but I found it hard, hard work. Granted, I am not your typical "Playcentre Mum" in that I work and Maya was also in daycare whereas all of the other mums at our centre were SAHM's.
I did enjoy some of the courses, and Maya has made a lifelong friend from Playcentre, but in the end I found it had gotten too political and catty and I got sick of being accused of not pulling my weight etc. when I was having a really tough time with family stuff (DSD had been suspended from school and was stuck with me 24 hours a day) when all I really needed was a bit of support.
I also found that I had fundamental differences with their philosophies on child led play coz I always planned to send Maya to montessori which is a big no no where Playcentre is concerned.
Just my experiences tho, I have friends that have been and loved it and still keep in touch with PC friends years after they go to school. I agree wth Bizzy tho - finding the *right* centre for you is the most important thing.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Mum2ET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum2ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2008 at 1:39pm

how much committment do they normally involved? for those of you who have done how long did the training take? I too have been wondering whether I should get involved in playcentre, but am a bit hestiate as I am working part-time and am worried how much time it will take up.

Mum to
Ella (5) and Tom (2)
2bmumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2bmumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2008 at 2:27pm
Gotta agree with finding the right centre and even the right day(s) to attend as different days have different team members, some who'll you'll find easier to get along with than others. Cattyness can/will certainly happen, when you put a group of women together it seems to be a given. As for the courses, all that really has to be done is course 1 (and I didn't do this till I'd been at the centre for 18 months) which we do in 1 morning session. Course 2 took alot longer, again we did it on session so as whoever was on team that day could help look after the kids. I think it was about 8 mornings plus a little bit of homework (maybe 10 mins per session). Playcentre does need mums to do higher courses as it's how they get their funding, some people are up for more than others and that should be accepted. Some of our keys members on team are just not interested or prepared to do the courses, but they're amazing during session(it takes all kinds to run a playcentre). We have many mums that do work part time and the majority of members are very understanding about that, as it simply is part of life these days. I'd been at playcentre for 2 years before I took on any permanant position (I do the grants) as I simply didn't feel I could cope before then. I did always offer to help where I could i.e I'd go and get the stores if needed. I have many friends that are put off playcentre due to the committment involved, which is a shame as initially it was started for women to support women in a environment simply taken from an extension of home (whoevers home too, open to all walks of life) when the men were off at war. The more members the less work for all involved.

Maya, it sounds like you have got one of those clicky, catty groups of ladies at the centre you were at. My eldest attends Montessori preschool. I love their philisophy, it really is my style of learning and the one here is just great. Definately different from the playcentre way, but I find it quite a nice contrast for them.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2008 at 3:52pm
Auckland Association have a reputation for being really anal about rules and regulations, I think that was part of the problem for me. You had to do Course 1 in your first term, then had deadlines for completing Course 2 etc. Plus a lot of the courses were at night and we also had monthly business meetings and bimonthly meetings to discuss our kids development, it ended up being a huge time committment.

But friends who have been involved with associations in other areas say they are way more laid back.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
Mum2ET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum2ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2008 at 4:10pm

Emma- does the auckland association include the north shore or is that a separate association? I wouldn't mind during the training if was while we were at playcentre but  not so sure about doing it in the evening.

Mum to
Ella (5) and Tom (2)
Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2008 at 5:58pm
ok we must have a really cruisey playcentre lol.

Um I am half way through my course one and I haven't done anything special for it, just went along and played with the kids. I have to go to a training thing tomorrow night but its just about making playdough or something easy. Once you have course 3 done you can become a coordinator and get paid to go. I did get a few booklets to read through about the playcentre ways but they were all the way I did things anyway. The only thing I found tricky was that you can't use time out, but thats more MOE rules rather than playcentres. All the coordinators are so lovely and really try to get your kid involved. Jack is very independant and won't let any adult except me near him so they all help out with Caprece instead.

With the monthly meetings you don't have to go but I have actually found them really fun, all ladies having a laugh minus kids. You also get to have a say in whats happening and I even got to chose some toys for under 2s which was quite neat. If you don't go you just have to let them know, most of the ones with little ones don't go anyway.

My job is looking after the book club which involves an hour of work a month so hardly anything really. We all clean up at the end of the session and everyone has their oen jobs but if you have a little one they give you the easy jobs or help you.

Most of the kids at ours go to a daycare as well and noone is judgemental at all about anything really. We have wee outings every now and then as well (today was a bus ride to a police station).

I hope that helps I'm happy to answer any more questions you might have

Edited by RachandJack
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2008 at 7:00pm
Which just goes to show how hugely different centres can be! Yours sounds awesome Rach!

Mum2ella, North Shore is a separate assoc.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
Mum2ET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum2ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2008 at 8:15pm

Rach- how is Caprece at playcentre? Atm do you think it is worthwhile taking her now or is it more for Jack. Am trying to decide if I should look at taking Ella now or wait until is a little bit older.

Mum to
Ella (5) and Tom (2)
Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2008 at 9:25pm
Caprece loves it so much, she doesn't even have a morning sleep when we go just a huge afternoon sleep. I'd take Ella for a few visits and see how she goes, Caprece is used to being picked up and having bigger kids in her face but I think it would of been a bit much for Jack at this age. From what I've heard about Ella I think she would really enjoy it.
My3Sons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote My3Sons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2008 at 9:33pm

Thank you that is great info!!  Sounds like the different centres can vary quite a bit.  I am looking forward to starting, especially for Leo who is getting bored at home, I know he will love it!!

Post Reply Post Reply