Print Page | Close Window

January & February Mummies 2008

Printed From: OHbaby!
Category: Expecting and Arrived
Forum Name: Born in 2008
Forum Description: Was your child born in 2008? Find other parents with children born in 2008 here!
URL: https://www.ohbaby.co.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13828
Printed Date: 27 April 2024 at 8:28pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: January & February Mummies 2008
Posted By: LittleBug
Subject: January & February Mummies 2008
Date Posted: 22 January 2008 at 1:11pm
Couldn't find a forum for the new mums for this month (and ones due next month, Verena) ..... so I decided to make one myself.

Could we have this stickied please Maya?

-------------
Chloe (4 years) and Oliver (3 years).

Replies:
Posted By: arohanui
Date Posted: 22 January 2008 at 1:29pm
Oo how exciting. Better get the ball rolling.

How's everyone finding it?

Harry is feeding hardout at the moment, he'll take one side then the other, and then go back one more time each side - so 4 times! Then he sleeps for quite a while. He's living in just his nappy at the moment cos it's so hot. But he sleeps better wrapped, so this morning we did (in his muslin), but then when he woke up he was all sweaty on his back. Poor little guy. So now he's just sleeping in his nappy with one layer of muslin kinda tucked over his body, with a gap at the top and bottom. It's soooo humid!

-------------
Mama to DS1 (5 years), DS2 (3 years) and...
http://alterna-tickers.com" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: WRXnKids
Date Posted: 22 January 2008 at 2:01pm
Joshua is all over the show with his feeding somedays he will wake every 2-3 hours and want feed about 80-100ml and then there are days like today when he is up after only sleeping for an hour wanting fed and not just little feeds!! Also he is staying awake longer which is exhausting especially in the middle of the night. Its quite cool here today so he is tucked up warm but otherwise he has been living in a singlet with a muslin for a sheet in bed and yeah he was waking up sweaty. Im glad DP isnt working i could not do this every day and night on my own. I am in awe of single mothers!!!!!

-------------

Posted By: MissCandice
Date Posted: 22 January 2008 at 2:03pm
Wrx chick - one way to get past the long late night feeds, is get him up when you hear him stir, dont turn on lights and dont change him, unless hes done no2 or wet through.. Its more like a dream feed, worked wonders for kylah, when i finally thought about it lol.. Just got her up, fed, back to bed. I was up 10 - 15 min max!

Your doing wonderful ladies!
And congrats!

-------------
~ Mummy to a beautiful girl ~

Posted By: ElfsMum
Date Posted: 22 January 2008 at 2:42pm
hi everyone..far out ..three long weeks and I should be here!:) crazy!

-------------
Mum to two amazing boys!

Date Posted: 23 January 2008 at 7:08pm
Thanks Kylahsmum been trying that but he seems to wet through several times a night and have had to formula feed so he starting to get worked up by the time we get the bottle ready. I think we are starting to get better at it though.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 January 2008 at 7:11pm
sounds like a busy time for u new mummies... I can't wait to be able to join this thread properly when we have our bubba, but at the same time I don't feel ready for all this!! Can't make up my mind... guess it's too late to back out now anyway

Is it exhausting feeding a hot little baby all the time? Every 2-3 hours, gosh that's a lot...

-------------

Date Posted: 23 January 2008 at 7:12pm
is he on formula full time wrxchic? (if u don't mind me asking)... how much does he drink? I have no idea how much a baby would drink...

-------------

Posted By: aimeejoy
Date Posted: 23 January 2008 at 7:23pm
OMG just had a slight panic seeing this and realising I will be in here soon too Hope everything is going well for all you new mummies and that the rest of us get to join you soon.

-------------
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08

Posted By: Bobbie
Date Posted: 23 January 2008 at 8:09pm
wrxchic Rowan was just like that at 2 weeks. You'll be happy to know she sleeps better at night now but she's just started feeding every few hours again (I'm guessing it's another growth spurt)

-------------

Posted By: Freesia
Date Posted: 24 January 2008 at 12:42pm
Olivia was on the breast for about 20 mins each side last week and now she has gone down to only about 5 mins a side. I'm guessing because my milk has come in she's getting more of it faster but she is also 'snacking' every hour or two. My midwife said that in the early days they tend to cluster feed and just to hang in there.

We're struggling more with trying to get her to sleep afterwards. She was sleeping well as long as someone was holding her and as soon as we put her in the crib she grizzles and then cries. We don't know whether to try and leave her for a few minutes to see if she'll settle on her own or not yet. Then today she just doesn't seem to want to sleep even though she looks really tired. She sits there awake eyeballing everyone. It looks really cute but it just takes so long to get her to sleep.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 January 2008 at 3:22pm
We had our midwife visit this morning, she is very pleased with how Harry is doing and he's nearly back up to his birth weight. My milk has come in a bit more, so now he's feeding just 2 sides. He pretty much has a feed, change nappy, awake time, then another little feed (not always though), then a sleep. Then it starts all over again We're gonna try and start him on a bit of a routine during the day, feeding 3 hourly. He's pretty good at sleeping at night, generally lasts about 4 hours, so we're hoping that by waking to feed more often during the day he'll last even longer.

Amber I can totally recommend the Happiest Baby on the Block. There's a dvd that is great to watch. It's pretty much a technique on how to settle baby. We find it really good, it might work for you guys too.

Right, off to look at photos of Olivia!

-------------

Date Posted: 24 January 2008 at 4:21pm
Joshua is full time formula now tried the breastfeeding again and it just wasnt happening midwife was glad i made the formula decision she said if she had had the same nipple damage she would never have tried again Im happy at least i know i tried my best.

We are demand feeding and Joshua drinkin about 100ml every 2 hours (growth spurt at the moment) he is well above his birth weight and put on 380gms in 5 days and midwifes aim for them to increase at least 20gms a day so at least i know he is better off on the formula. He is now 3.8kg (born 3.4kg) and i reckon after all the feeding last night he prolly put on a full kg in 24 hours hahaha midwife even called him a porker when she weighed him. I think based on his weight he is suppose to be drinking about 120ml every 3-4 hours i cant remember the midwife did work it out for me but with the recent pig out he having i forgot. Midwife happy with how he going.

We having trouble with him settling in his bed but looks like its probably the wind thats causing all the problems so trying cooled boiled water now to bring it up easier which was working until last night apparently all the extra growth spurt feeding will cause him to have a sore tummy so settling him today has been impossible but he down now yay!!

-------------

Date Posted: 24 January 2008 at 4:38pm
Sounds like all the babies are struggling with sleep, one of my friends said that she has a book called "Babywise" or something which is about sleep routines, and she said that I should get a copy for when bubs comes because she has found it invaluable. And she is on her second baby. I have no idea what it's like, personally, though... since I haven't read it yet and don't have a baby to try it out on yet

Sounds like u made the right decision on going to formula, wrxchic!

100mL doesn't seem like a lot!! But I guess they have little tummies, and since they are feeding so often they are probably getting heaps! (I have so much to learn about babies). I don't know why, I was just interested to know the amount of milk they might be drinking

Where do u get the DVD, arohanui?

-------------

Date Posted: 24 January 2008 at 4:52pm
Hmm I'm not sure where to get the DVD from, I borrowed mine off a friend - libraries might have it, or to buy off trade me...

-------------

Date Posted: 26 January 2008 at 5:10pm
Nursie just posted a pic in the Jan thread of her bubba when it is BRAND new! (not for the faint hearted)

oOoOo and for those that haven't seen the "Baby Charly" thread yet:

"Hannah May Fidler born 1.34pm after 6 hours of labour. 7lbs 5oz. Absolutely gorgeous and already had a feed :-) "

Yay Charly!

-------------

Date Posted: 26 January 2008 at 5:54pm
I love the name May and the January girls are evening the tables up now!

We have done a bit of reading and tried a few different things this last feed and Olivia went down a lot easier and has slept for 3 hours at the moment. I guess we just have to figure out what works for us. We got quite messed up by being in and out of hospital.

We're going to be looking into all the suggestions you guys have made about dvd's and books. We are sooo kicking ourselves for not looking into these while pregnant instead of trying to play catch up now. I just really thought that we'd get a lot more information and advice from the hospital.

We've got the bath all ready to go again tonight. So far DP and I have only bathed her once each (in the tub) and she by far preferred her daddy to do it. They just look so cute in there. Hopefully it'll settle her down a bit before bedtime and she'll goto sleep a little easier.

-------------

Posted By: lottieandharry
Date Posted: 27 January 2008 at 12:13pm
Hi all, bit quiet here, guess we are all busy with our wee bundles. Harry is doing well in general, has a couple of periods a day where he is unsettled and up and just wanting to feed on and off for a couple of hours. Unfortunately it was 3.30 -5.30 am this morning. not so fun.

Breast feeding still an issue for us. Left hand nipple hasn't healed yet and turns out it has an infection, apparently quite a heavy growth too. No wonder it is constantly painful and won't heal properly. Seems history is repeating itself, having all the same probs on same side as I did with Charlotte. I had convinced myself it would be a piece of cake this time. Boy was I wrong. MW doesn't know how I kept going with her but I am a stubborn old mule!! I am determined to perservere and get it right as I really enjoy it when it is going well!! Hubby raced into CHCH to pick up the prescription for antibiotics as there is no Pharmacy open here. He is so amazing, he is doing so much for us right now!

Anyway hope all your wee bundles are behaving themselves! I am off to stay with Mum for a week as DH away for work. Not up to 2 by myself just yet especially as I am not supposed to be lifting or driving!! Will hopefully keep updated at Mums but if not catch you back on Friday!

Katie

-------------
http://lilypie.com">

Date Posted: 27 January 2008 at 1:53pm
Olivia is doing the same, she has her unsettled periods (usually in the middle of the night) and she will stay awake grizzling and feeding for 2-3 hrs between one feed and the next. For some reason it just seems that much harder to deal with in the middle of the night.

I'm starting to get a little worried about coping on my own when DP goes back to work next week. Because of the c-sect I'm still not getting around normally and I start aching pretty quick if I have to try and settle her.

One day at a time and we'll get there. I'm really looking forward to when she can start interacting with us a little more. She follows us around with her eyes and can hold her head up pretty well already. For over a week she's been able to sit there for a little while holding her head straight up on her own.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 January 2008 at 3:40pm
Wow Freesia, sounds like Olivia is doing great. Do you have anyone who can help you out a bit when your DP first goes back to work? Or is he able to come home for a long lunch or something?

Lottiesmum, gosh I feel for you with the infection.. that must be so hard. Good on you for sticking with it.

Harrison had an unsettled day yesterday.. and I figured out why. I think it's cos I had curry for dinner the night before . DH's mum was staying with us and I asked her if she thought it was ok and she said yeah it would be fine. Well his first night time sleep was ok (4 hours - his usual) but then he was waking up every hour being real unsettled and wanting to feed heaps. We went out for breakfast and he slept fine then, waking up at 11am, and from then til 5pm he was just feeding constantly and being unsettled and had heaps of wind. He had a couple of very short sleeps (like 10 mins) and then woke up crying again - very unlike Harry. So when my mum came round that night I asked her if there's any food I shouldn't eat while breastfeeding, she said that some people find curries make babies unsettled - she didn't know I'd had it the night before (it wasn't even hot!). I felt so bad, definitely won't be eating curry again.

BUT today he is back to his normal self! Yay. He slept 4 hours then 3 hours last night, and today I've been waking him up every 3 hours for a feed. He's normally a really cruisy contented baby, so yesterday was real unsettling for me too. And so exhausting feeding all the time!

Is there any other food anyone knows I should be careful of?

We're gonna give Harry another bath this afternoon too. He doesn't like the bath so much, but absolutely LOVES the massage after. Then we're taking him to church for the first time tonight, so no doubt he'll get lots more cuddles.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 January 2008 at 5:15pm
lottiesmum, the infected breast sounds painful. Hope it's improved now! U r such a trooper for continuing to breastfeed through all that!

Hope things are going ok Freesia... will u be able to get anyone to come keep u company, help out etc. when your DP is back at work? Or can he maybe start off doing half days, or taking a break with u during the day or something? Hope that u start feeling a bit better and more able to cope without him around, healing up and getting used to being a mum at the same time must be a challenge!

Hmmm Arohanui, maybe it was the curry! My mum told me to avoid "windy" foods like cabbage etc. when breastfeeding because apparently it can give the baby wind and make them unsettled. I have no idea if it's a wives tale or if it has some truth to it! How did his first time at church go? Bet he was the centre of attention

-------------

Posted By: lilfatty
Date Posted: 28 January 2008 at 5:53pm

Its official!  Im a first time Mummy

Just trying out my new ticker ... hehe ... now off to uploads some photos.

-------------
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year http://www.femininefitness.co.nz/category/blog - LFs weight blog

Posted By: Danash
Date Posted: 28 January 2008 at 6:09pm

OMG lilfatty that ticker pic makes her look like she a month old...  she's beautiful. Congratulations.

Hey Janey77 I just found this forum, bit slow on the uptake.  I'm blaming joining the Jan mummies for desert for Daniels early arrival.  I'm soooo glad he is here. 

okay going to read the previous posts now. 

Posted By: Danash
Date Posted: 28 January 2008 at 6:25pm

poo, my reply disappeared. Janey77 - I was told about the babywise book by a mum with 5 kids, she was given it for her fifth child and wishes she had known about it earlier, so must be good.  Now to find the time to go and buy it :)

Daniel had his 1 week check today and all is great, he's over his birth weight and putting on 60gms a day.  He'd taught me how to breast feed.  He took the boob straight away in the hospital and we have been on a roll ever since.  I think I am just really lucky. 

The last two nights he has slept for 3-4 hours but prior to that was waking every hour.  I've never felt so exhausted before, my eyes during the days would shut of there own accord and not want to open.  MW told us to keep him awake longer during the day which we did and well yeh now the 3-4 hours at night.

Has everyone had the foot pricks done???  Took 3 goes for our little man and end the end I was crying too.  It was horrible.  How am I going to deal with his first lot of injections.  Anyone that hasn't had the foot pricks done yet, apparantley the secret is to have there feet nice and warm - wish the mw had told me prior I would have had long leg pants and socks on him, anything for it to have been just one prick. - he did retaliate by pooing on the MW when she weighed him tho .

Time for my dinner, before he wakes for his....  looking forward to chats with all the new mummies.

Date Posted: 28 January 2008 at 7:07pm

Is that the Guthrie test?  Isabelle had hers and yep she cried .... and man it takes loads of blood to fill up those circles!

-------------

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year http://www.femininefitness.co.nz/category/blog - LFs weight blog

Posted By: Brenna
Date Posted: 28 January 2008 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by Verena Verena wrote:

poo, my reply disappeared. Janey77 - I was told about the babywise book by a mum with 5 kids, she was given it for her fifth child and wishes she had known about it earlier, so must be good.  Now to find the time to go and buy it :)

Lurking - I have his book and found it really helpful

-------------
My beautiful 2 girls...nearly 4 and 13 months

Posted By: LockieandLiam
Date Posted: 28 January 2008 at 8:19pm
*Lurking* too - I got told with DS that it's not a bad idea to feed them while you get the Guthrie test done. Worked a treat for us he didn't cry at all. Mind you probably perfect timing by the midwife to come in while I was feeding bubba.

-------------

Posted By: LockieandLiam
Date Posted: 28 January 2008 at 8:20pm
By the way gorjus photos of your bubbas - they all look so tiny, its going to feel strange holding one that size again.

-------------

Posted By: mum2paris
Date Posted: 28 January 2008 at 9:01pm
Aw so exciting ladies.

Just a wee tip after reading about the foot pricks.., (i have to do foot pricks for the PKU tests all the time) try to make sure you do have nice warm booties etc on baby before hand, if all else fails and the 1st prick doesn't work, they usually have gloves around in the hospital or with them at home when they do the blood test anyway.. fill one up about half way with warm water and tie it off, use it like a little hotty bottle on the heel that's going to be/been pricked.. heat helps the blood vessels dilate - makes it easier for it to bleed without them having to squeeze too much... sometimes even means that the initial unsuccessful prick starts to bleed easily.    Another great tip is sometimes if they are feeding they don't notice it too much although some people don't like to do this out of fear of having baby associate feeding with the pain, but not really too likely if it's a oncer.

And yep bubs do have tiny tummys, a newborn baby's tummy holds approx about 20 mls at one time, and slowly expands over time as they grow, helps to know that when you are worried if they are getting enough, also helps to remember that when they seem to feed all the time, - little tummy means fuller quicker, but empty quicker too, so needs filling again more frequently - hence the icky cluster feeds. doesn't make it any better on you though, i hated the cluster feeding for the 1st week or so.

oooh good luck ladies.

-------------
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

Posted By: babyg
Date Posted: 28 January 2008 at 11:32pm
**lurking**

I never let the docs do heel pricks on Carys while i fed cos i didn't want her to associate pain with it as mum2paris has said. (But she was getting heel pricks three times a day for a couple of weeks so oncers might be different).

-------------
Ev, Mum to:
Carys Ruby - 4 October 2007
Spencer James - 2 July 2010

Date Posted: 29 January 2008 at 8:13am

Good morning lovely mummies

Gosh it feels good to be home!  Isabelle is a dream baby ... she went down at  11.30pm after her feed, then woke for her next feed at  3.30am ... then let mummy and daddy sleep right through till 6.30am!

Golly ... its bliss, anyway I fed her....then put her back in the bassinette to sleep (her 2nd favorite passtime).

Im amazed at how well she settles in her bassinette ... she didnt like to be away from mummy at the hospital so I was a little concerned she wouldnt go down on her own ... but as long as mummy or daddy are next to her when she goes down ... off she goes

-------------

Date Posted: 29 January 2008 at 9:01am
Yeah I fed Harry while he was having his foot prick test... he did a few little cries but I think it distracted me as much as him! (I was just looking at his face, rather than seeing what they were doing down there). Oh and the lady who did the tests did the whole warm water in a glove thing too.

I've heard/read varied things about babywise, so I've decided I need to find it at the library and decide for myself!

Well after saying Harrison didn't really like his baths that much, I figured out why - put the water a bit warmer and he absolutely LOVED it. Just lies there chilling out. It's his special time with daddy too which is nice.

Since I've been feeding him 3 hourly during the day, we've had some awesome night sleeps! Last night he slept 9.20pm til 2.40am (just over 5 hours) and then 3.30 til 8.10am (just under 5 hours). It was fab!

Julia, Isabelle is sooo cute. She looks so alert in that photo! Can't wait to see more pics

Verena, that's fab Daniel is doing so well with his feeding! I was doing an ohbaby search on breastfeeding the other day and found a post where you were concerned you wouldn't be able to do it - so I'm so glad it's all good!

-------------

Date Posted: 29 January 2008 at 9:05am
Olivia only gave a small moan for her heel prick thank goodness. The poor thing had been poked at so many times for IV lines and things by then.

We're trying to keep Olivia up for a little longer during the days to help her sleep more at night. The first night didn't work at all! Last night went a bit better and she was nearly 3 hours between her feeds. We have to laugh because she is so awake at nights. They say to avoid eye contact at night because it stimulates them and keeps them awake but when these huge gorgeous eyes are looking up at you it's so hard.

DP was back off to work today. He really didn't want to go. Because we were in and out of hospital he hasn't really had that much time with Olivia and he also knows that there's going to be a huge mess to sort out at work. That'll be a fun job when you're half asleep from tiredness anyway.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 January 2008 at 9:11am

Freesia ... I feel sorry for the DHs when they have to go back to work ... I know for a fact that mine doesnt want to go anywhere ... bless him.

I was feeding Isabelle when they came in to do the Guthrie Test .. but they actually took her off me and stabbed her and prodded and she screamed!  But as soon as she was finished she popped back onto the breast and she was like yuuummmm

My mw is coming to visit us today ...  .... oh and had MIL on phone today checking I wasnt depressed (bless her) ... she said oh you sound so cheery!  Im like, yeah well the best thing in the whole world just happened to me

-------------

Date Posted: 29 January 2008 at 9:13am
Arohanui, I'm so jealous of Harrisons sleeping patterns. Since Olivia was born I think I've had 1 3hr sleep and all the rest have been 2 hrs at most. We're seeing our midwife today or tomorrow and we have a whole lot of questions for her regarding feeding and sleeping so hopefully she'll give us a few hints.

-------------

Posted By: emz
Date Posted: 29 January 2008 at 12:41pm
Just found this thread!

Jackson's doing well. Has finished his 2 week growth spurt (not fun - never slept and just fed constantly), so not looking forward to the 6-week growth spurt that's for sure!

He feeds about every 3-4 hours which is fine by me. He's strictly formula-fed now as well because I couldn't handle the pain of the extra weight in my boobs (I need an op so it just wasn't working, I kind of knew it may not as I'd been told not to breastfeed anyway). Only thing I hate about formula is the poos. Although at least you don't get squirted as they're more solid! He packs away about 100mls at each feed which is pretty good, but has a habit of getting his hands near his mouth, spitting some out then rubbing it all over his face Boys aye?!

I breastfed Jack while he had the guthrie test done and he didn't even flinch! They actually waited to do the test until he was feeding. Worked a treat.

I'm just so glad I'm getting a break during the day now. He was such a perfect baby for the first 2 weeks, then when he had his growth spurt he turned into a little demon but now he's back to being good, although he's getting a bit grizzly at tummy time cos he tries to move and can't much. I keep telling him that I don't want him to grow up too quickly, but he doesn't seem to be listening to me...

Date Posted: 29 January 2008 at 12:42pm
Oh, and my boy was weighed the other day, was 3.48kg at birth, now 4.25kg! What a fatty!

Date Posted: 29 January 2008 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by lilfatty lilfatty wrote:

... she said oh you sound so cheery!  Im like, yeah well the best thing in the whole world just happened to me

Awwww lilfatty, u r so cute

Glad to hear things seem to be going well with all your bubbas! I like reading about them... gives me some impression of what to expect!!

-------------

Date Posted: 29 January 2008 at 1:04pm

Wow Emz ... he needs my "nickname"

Janey ... mummyhood is even better than it sounds!

-------------

Date Posted: 29 January 2008 at 2:19pm
Just saw my midwife and Olivia weighed 4250gm, a gain of 120gms in 4/5 days - not bad but the midwife would like 200gms better. We're going to try expressing to encourage a bit more milk which could be her problem and which could explain why she's unsettled a bit.

So we have another plan of attack and will see how she goes. We had a huge list of questions to ask her - mainly things asking "is this normal?". There are so many things we were unaware of beforehand. What a learning experience

-------------

Date Posted: 29 January 2008 at 2:57pm
Gosh Freesia, I feel for you with DP going back to work... my DH goes back next Monday, and I had a 'moment' this morning getting all worried about it. Pretty silly really, cos Harry is really quite a settled baby.

Emz, that's great Jackson is growing so well

-------------

Date Posted: 29 January 2008 at 3:36pm
I can't complain yet because mum came up to help me while DP is at work this week. She's still a bit worried about my c-sect. There are all these things they tell you you're not supposed to do for a while that really make you quite useless on your own. I'm getting around alright most of the time it's just that fear of over-stretching and ruining all the healing I've already done.

I'm sure we'll all manage on our own, it's just a bit daunting knowing how much work there is and it's really a whole nutha routine to try and settle into.

Harry sounds like a dream so I'm sure you'll be fine. My MW told me that Olivia needs to be fed at least every 3 hrs (to encourage my milk more) and overnight we can have one 4 hr sleep if she stays down that long. There go our hopes of nice long sleeps at night.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 January 2008 at 4:39pm
Haha emz Joshua does the same thing he always tries to get a hand in his mouth with the bottle and ends up making a huge mess. Midwife couldnt make it today so when she can come and weigh him i reckon he will be huge we have started to buy the infant nappies instead of newborn now cos although they suppose to be to 5kg they seem a bit tight and the infant ones (4-7kg) seem heaps comfier for him.

Well better go start tidyin up a bit before mum gets home from work i feel bad she does so much for us when we are home all day (cooks tea does our washing before we get a chance and all while hijacking joshua as soon as she gets in the door) As DP keeps saying how can something so small wear out two people so much??? We are working on a bit of a routine at the moment but its hard with him being quite unsettled the last few days. He is awake most of the day and still wont sleep for more than 2 hours at a time at night with 3-4 hour sleep from about 11pm every couple of nights

-------------

Date Posted: 29 January 2008 at 5:20pm

Freesia my mw got a call first thing this morning with a "is this ok" question  she is coming on Friday to weigh Miss Isabelle so hopefully she is gaining some fatness as she is definately a minifatty

Gosh I cant believe how old Harry, Josh and Olivia are now!  I go to hospital for a few days and wham ... they are "grown ups" ...

We went up for a stroll to Mt Eden today to get some fresh bread my prescriptions and some DVDs ... it was lovely to get out and about in the sunshine .... and I love the way people try and peek into see Isabelle ... and everyone is amazed when they find out she is only days old ... they forget how little babies start out

And on the DH going back to work ... Ive got to admit Im a little scared ... and Isabelle is a dream baby ... my Mum has taken time off work when DH returns so I will have someone there, but its "just not the same"

-------------

Date Posted: 30 January 2008 at 11:21am
Just read your birth story lilfatty... amazing!! Although I'm not sure I should have read it when I am due any second now. Not sure I should have watched "Knocked Up" last night either

But I'm still more excited than nervous, and just want my baby out now!!

-------------

Posted By: Shezamumof3
Date Posted: 30 January 2008 at 11:31am
lilfatty your birth story is amazing and its so neat how she DID come on her grandads birthday!!!!

lol Janey that movie cracked me up! When she scremas "GET OOUUTTT" I nearly peed myself laughing. Although I saw the uncut version and EEEK the crowning thing scared me!!

-------------

Date Posted: 30 January 2008 at 12:11pm

At least I missed out on the crowning I suppose

Well it was our 2nd night at home last night .... and I was feeding Isabelle and I had this overwhelming thought of OMG I'm responsible for this little one!  HEEEELP I have no idea what I am doing

So not fair ... everything else comes with instructions

-------------

Date Posted: 30 January 2008 at 12:45pm
Lol Sheza, it was the uncut version I watched last night too. I still can't get it out of my head, I definitely don't think it would help me to see her head coming out with a mirror at the time, LOL.

Lilfatty, it all must seem pretty surreal... but just remember, if she is being fed and changed and is cleanish and loved... then you have it covered. Everything else is just details I have no idea about babies, it's going to be such a learning curve!!

-------------

Posted By: Shezamumof3
Date Posted: 30 January 2008 at 4:43pm
Yep, what Janey Said Julia Im starting to freak out with less than half way to go now! I keep wondering if Il be a good mum But then everyone has to start somewhere with being parents etc. Im sure you are doinf just fine

-------------

Date Posted: 30 January 2008 at 5:01pm

Thanks Sheza and Janey ... Im trying to remember that it is the same for everybody when they become parents....and I wouldnt trade parenthood for anything!

Ive heard the world surreal used lots on this board ... and even that is an understatement

-------------

Date Posted: 31 January 2008 at 9:28pm
oh gosh! Here I am thinking I'm all good and up to date and here you guys are chatting 19 to the dozen in this thread too!

Babywise is pretty strict from what I've heard. There's also Contented Little Baby (which I've sort of adopted the feeding routine from) and Secrets of the Baby Whisperer. I've only read the last two though so I can't comment first hand on Babywise.

Whatever you do make sure you don't read so much that you get out of touch with your own instincts. I deliberately didn't read any of these until Rowan was a month old because I think it can make you doubt yourself a bit. And when you do read them remember that you can adapt them to suit you - you don't have to follow them to the letter.

It's hard when the DH/DP/DF goes back to work but if you set yourself a goal of just getting dressed that day you will be a lot less stressed I reckon. I had days like that and had my mum around

Julia isn't it crazy how many painkillers you end up with? My prescriptions totaled $70 No one tells you to budget for that!

Hmm this may be TMI but I have a horrid suspicion I have thrush on my nipples! They feel sunburnt. Anyone know wha t the symptoms are?

-------------

Date Posted: 31 January 2008 at 9:40pm
Ditto on the painkillers! All my 'drugs' cost $100 I had no idea it would be so expensive. Thankfully mum offered to pick them up for me and then said it was part of her contribution.. sweet ay It's quite funny that after a natural birth with no drugs or intervention, I needed quite a lot of 'intervention' and drugs after!! But I am very grateful that I tore rather than cut, cos I'm sure it heals better. My stitches are healing really well now and all the swelling has gone down, though I'm still eating lots of licorice and prunes and stuff cos that part is pretty scary . It's sore sitting for long periods of time but hey that's what the drugs are for right . How are those of you who had c-sections healing? I've heard it really hurts to sneeze or laugh or anything, and you're not able to lift much?

Bobbie sorry I have no idea about thrush. By the way I love that photo of Rowan in your ticker, so cute.

Edited for mummy brain

-------------

Posted By: caitlynsmygirl
Date Posted: 31 January 2008 at 9:56pm
If anybody wants copies of the book recovery after cesarean pm susieq

Date Posted: 31 January 2008 at 10:47pm
I still haven't read my c-sect book I haven't had much trouble with it so I haven't really worried about it. I think because we were in and out of hospital I had my mind on other things besides the pain. I would always forget my pain meds in the confusion and I've pretty much been off any meds for a while now.

I've been lucky in that DP and mum have been running around doing all the things that I'm not supposed to do so I've had a good chance to heal without pulling it or straining too much.

Arohanui, the laughing did hurt for a little while afterwards. 4 days post-op, DP made a comment to my BIL that had me in fits of laughter and it really hurt.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 February 2008 at 9:02am

Ditto on the laughter .... that huuuurts .... but sometimes I cant help but giggle ... I just hold my stiches lol

My mw did tell me off for vacuuming .... although to be fair, nobody at the hospital told me what I could and couldnt do ... and I didnt get any literature (sp) so I was just kind of going with how I felt.

So my mw basically said I couldnt do anything for at least a couple of weeks except a gentle stroll ... but boy is it hard seeing stuff that needs to be done ... but not being able to do it!  But she said ... just think ... i dont want a wound infection ... i dont want a wound infection ... she said that would help me sit back and relax

Oh and bobbie im not sure on the thrush ... i know my nipples feel like hot pokers though!

-------------

Date Posted: 01 February 2008 at 12:15pm
When I was in hospital someone came to talk me through the exercises I should be doing post-op and was like 'they're in your book' - umm what book? Apparently they were meant to send a C sect book out with my booking form but never did. I didn't read it really either (the new copy they gave me in hospital).

My MW made me swear to take painkillers regularly for 5 days after I left hospital and then she said it was up to me. TBH I don't think I needed them and the voltaren upset my tummy anyway.

I know it's hard when the housework is beckoning (I'm so anally retentive about housework usually). Though your body will let you know pretty quickly if you over do it.

The worst for me was choking. I seemed to keep choking on my water right after the op and that really hurt!

-------------

Posted By: susieq
Date Posted: 01 February 2008 at 1:05pm
Years ago, I used to be in the Auckland Cesarean Support Group when Kelly(caitlynsmygirls) mum was little and we printed a booklet called Recovery after Cesarean

Date Posted: 01 February 2008 at 9:28pm
Ok I have officially had the worst day so far

Yes I have thrush on my nipples so I'm now having to cover them with gel after every feed.

Plus I had Rowan crying inconsolably all day and at 3pm I finally realised it wasn't the after affects of the shots but that the medication they gave us for her thrush has burnt her entire bottom and every time she poos she screams in pain. So back to the doctor at 4pm and now we have new medicine plus they cleverly decided to FINALLY take a swab to see if it is actually thrush or if they've just assumed that all along.

If the new lot of medicine doesn't help we have to go back Monday and possibly get referred to a Paediatrician.
My poor little girl - six weeks old and in complete agony. She's getting Pamol 4 times a day just to keep her ok.

And finally to top it all off I tried to sort out a bottle to feed her (as she was only feeding for 5mins from the breast because she was so tired) and didn't screw the lid on properly because I was doing it one handed so managed to spill a lot of it all over me before I even got it to my screaming baby.

Totally the worst day ever. Sorry to rant but I had to vent because otherwise I think I may start crying and not stop.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 February 2008 at 11:11pm
Awe Bobbie thats a pretty bad day poor rowan.

My prescriptions didnt cost that much the panadol voltaren and ural were under $40. I reckon being cut healed really well still paranoid about #2s tho even tho its been fine for awhile. TMI but Im so over the bleeding the midwife said it should be settling down now but every now and then i keep getting gushes of blood when i go to the loo i swear after one night it looked like id murdered someone it just poured out then stopped. Cos im not filling a pad an hour she says its fine although if it hasnt settled by next visit i will be sent for a scan. DP me and bub are all heading to chc for a week so any probs with im to contact my old midwife or go straight to a & e. Its a scary thought no knowing for sure. I have no idea how to describe my bleeding everytime she asks so i get paranoid i havent described it right or something.

Well better go sort the boy out he wont sleep so mum walking around with him. We are running out of ideas to try settle him

-------------

Date Posted: 02 February 2008 at 8:39am

Oh Bobbie!  You must be feeling super stressed!  And this heat wouldnt help either

Hopefully the doctors finally get it right and sort out both Mummy and Daughter .... I cringe when Isabelle cries .... my mw "talked" to James and I yesterday about how its not bad to let her cry (as Isabelle wasnt impressed by the poking and prodding she was enduring)... but it breaks my heart! 

-------------

Date Posted: 02 February 2008 at 9:27am
Bobbie, I hope Rowan heals up fast, poor little thing & poor mummy & daddy having to watch her in pain You are doing so well though, I have been in tears over much less than that (and often). Hang in there.

Olivia went down for her sleeps fairly well last night and actually slept for decent periods each time. She's been in her crib grizzling for over half an hour and still won't settle now though. She dozes off and then wakes up again. It's tough ain't it ladies. We're starting to leave her to cry a little and sometimes it works, other times we need to pick her up and walk her a bit. We'll all figure this out eventually ... or at least they grow out of it ... fingers crossed.

I've started taking Blessed Thistle to try and get a bit more milk coming in. I've been expressing after feeds (when I can) but I'm getting pathetic amounts out and it doesn't seem to be helping. I'm going to try the herbal route before the chemical one.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 February 2008 at 9:36am

We are all stumbling our way through  and gosh we are only new at this ... so I think we are doing pretty damn amazing!

Freesia ... you are doing a great job ... trying everything you can think of to help out little Olivia (who has theeee most adorable cheeks btw).

-------------

Date Posted: 02 February 2008 at 9:57am
**lurking**

Hey wrxchic, are you sure the blood when toileting is coming from ones and not twos? (Sorry, didn't know how else to put it!) Cos, if you've had trouble at the back post baby then it could be coming from an anal fissure (sorry, TMI again). I had them post baby and they can make a real mess in the loo when you go (normally no 2s but sometimes just with no 1s as well). Or it could be a combination of both and that could be why you are getting so much. I had postnatal bleeding for 5wks after my girl was born and i still bleed from the fissure everytime i toilet now (although there's only a little blood now). Unfortunately there's not a lot you can do about fissures if that's what you've got. Good luck, hope the bleeding settles real soon.

-------------
Ev, Mum to:

Date Posted: 02 February 2008 at 10:58am
Definately from my vajayjay. Midwife sending me for a scan when i get back from holiday but she said it doesnt sound like i should be worried about it and my period could be returning as well so it could be that causing some of it

-------------

Date Posted: 02 February 2008 at 11:04am
"Stumbling" is about the best way to put it Everything we do we learn a bit more though, right?

We have Olivia booked into First Impressions today. They are the ones that do the 3D hand & feet sculptures and frame them. A gift from granny. We wanted to get her done before she got too big and she's already growing so fast. It's our first proper outing (except for a short stroll) and I'm trying to think of everything we'll need to take for all the 'just-in-case' scenarios.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 February 2008 at 12:27pm
Awww poor little Rowan, I feel for you guys Bobbie!! Hope you both heal up quickly.

Hope your first outing goes well Freesia!

I might be joining you ladies in the next couple of days *fingers crossed*... I have been getting contractions every 10 mins so hopefully it progresses into labour proper!!

-------------

Date Posted: 02 February 2008 at 2:11pm
Janey, I'm going to be checking in here all the time now waiting for some news.

Our outing went really well. The lady did her prints reasonably easy so I can't wait until we get them. We even went shopping although DP ended up carrying her around in the capsule - we couldn't find a trolley that the capsule fits into and we forgot to bring a wrap or something to put into the baby capsules they already have. I'll remember that next time! It's funny how other mother's will stop and look and have a quick chat. We got stuck for AGES with one mum who had 6mth old twins and just wouldn't stop talking. We did get lucky and she woke and fed just before we had to leave so she's been asleep most of the time. PHEW!

-------------

Date Posted: 02 February 2008 at 2:31pm
Hey guys,
Having a better day today. Sorry about my pity party. Freesia you are so generous when Olivia and you and DH have been through so much worse. I am so embarrassed

Yay Janey not long now - you'll be counting hours not days until you have your baby

Julia yep I have to keep reminding myself that crying is Rowan's only form of communication and it's amazing how often things are solved with a boob. Still didn't help yesterday though no matter how often I reminded myself.

Freesia apparently Foodtown Takapuna has trolleys you can fit the capsule in (haven't tried it yet) so maybe other Foodtown's do as well. You are so good getting her prints done. I'm going to take Rowan to Paint the Earth next week and do hers but I really regret not getting on to it sooner . She's already grown so much!

wrxchic I hope your period isn't back already - that would be so unfair! It's funny how no one thinks to tell you that the lochia can dwindle away and then come back with a vengence. I went for a week with just spotting and then it soaked through 2 pads (and some bedding) in an hour

-------------

Date Posted: 02 February 2008 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Bobbie Bobbie wrote:

Freesia you are so generous when Olivia and you and DH have been through so much worse. I am so embarrassed

Gosh don't think that It's awful whenever you hear them crying in pain. There's a whole different sound to it that breaks your heart and to not be able to do anything to help them straight away is awful.

We went to a Foodtown but couldn't find the trolley with the fitting to insert your own capsule so either this one didn't have them or they were all in use.

Funny how you say how much Rowan has grown already. When I was talking to the lady with the 6mth old twins, they looked absolutely enormous. Being twins, they were probably a bit smaller than average too. It won't be long before our little babies are real big too.

I was getting my hopes up that my lochia was finishing up but then it came back ... now it's disappearing again. It was so nice not having a period during the pregnancy, but it sure makes up for it after baby is here.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 February 2008 at 3:39pm
I hope you are right Bobbie! Pains are still regularly ten mins apart. My midwife said things should definitely be happening in the next day or two. Yay not long to go now

-------------

Date Posted: 02 February 2008 at 5:02pm
Janey, as you may be a bit busy later on , I'll say good luck and all the best for Chloe's delivery now.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 February 2008 at 7:10pm

Hmmm with all this talk, I think I should look into baby prints too ... Isabelles feet are already 8.5cm long she will be a giant before I know it!

Oh and I should get DH to investigate the supermarket next time he goes down, I hadnt even thought about fitting her capsule into a trolley ....  so far DH has done grocery shopping for me (and has done since about 36 weeks pregnant lol)

Last time we went out we just put her capsule in the snap and go and off we went

-------------

Date Posted: 02 February 2008 at 10:54pm
Hi ladies!

good luck Janey! Hopefully you're off doing what you need to do to get that baby out by now!

wrxchic - could be your period? I was just wondering about mine as I've had pretty much nothing for over a week, then got pain Thursday, Friday and then Friday night started bleeding again. At first I thought it was because I had one or 3 glasses of wine and that my body was in shock or something but surely not. I'd be very excited if it was my period, I only had it a grand total of I think 4 or 5 times in my life before getting pg! I'd love to be a 'normal' person!

Date Posted: 03 February 2008 at 7:45am
Lilfatty, we got little sculptures done of Olivias hands and feet from here http://www.first-impressions.co.nz - First Impressions It was a gift from her granny so hopefully they come out nice. We need to also do her prints somehow too to put in her baby book. Does anyone know if there's a special way to do it rather than using normal ink? A non-toxic and non-staining way? Bobbie, what is Paint the Earth? Do they do prints for you?

I hadn't been to the supermarket in over a month either. It was actually really nice to get out albeit in a real hurry to get around and get out of their before she was due her next feed.

We had a great night last night. Olivia slept for 3-4 hrs each time we put her down and she has been going down fairly well on her own too. So between 11pm and 6am we only had to get up to feed once. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come.

No sign of Janey on here yet? Hopefully she is either getting a good rest or giving (or has given birth). The latter preferably.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 February 2008 at 12:37pm

Ive checked most of the boards and cant see and Janey news ... so hopefully she is busy delivering a little one.

Freesia, I was thinking about the paint too .... I want to print her foot and hand for her baby album .... i presume water based paint would be ok ... but will have a looksey to see what i can find out.

-------------

Posted By: MissCandice
Date Posted: 03 February 2008 at 2:37pm
lilfatty - those feet paintings look awesum. Best to do it as young as possible i tried to do Kylahs at 3 weks old and she kept moving and smudging it.
Also i got told food colouring is good to do foot and handprints with. Way easier to clean up too.

-------------
~ Mummy to a beautiful girl ~

Date Posted: 03 February 2008 at 3:19pm
Ah, good point Kylahsmum - non toxic too (i had also been wondering what to use for footprints) Cheers

-------------
Ev, Mum to:

Date Posted: 03 February 2008 at 4:04pm

Great tip!  I never would have even thought of food colouring

-------------

Date Posted: 03 February 2008 at 4:09pm

I found the paint the earth footprint information Freesia .... it looks like a cool gift idea!

http://www.painttheearth.co.nz/Hand-and-Footprints.html - Paint the earth

-------------

Posted By: Snickerdoodle
Date Posted: 03 February 2008 at 4:21pm
Hi everyone.
I've finally found my way here.
I've got a few pages to catch up on, so I'll make sure I make time to read them.
otherwise, it's good to be here with all the new mummies

Looking forward to the remaining Jan babies and all the new feb babies to arrive

-------------

Date Posted: 03 February 2008 at 5:55pm
Would food colouring stain their skin? I remember getting some red colouring on me once (years ago though) and I couldn't get it off.

Thanks for the website lilfatty. That's given me a whole new set of ideas

-------------

Date Posted: 03 February 2008 at 11:49pm
Yep that's the one - It's in Takapuna Freesia so not too far for you.

I've asked some of my coffee group girls if they're keen and so far one of them has said they'd like to do it and one of my other friends has offered to do it tomorrow with me. So I might trot along there then if Rowan is up to it. She's still not healed though is not crying as much so I may have to take her back to the Dr tomorrow depending on what the swab results are.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 February 2008 at 8:13am
I'm glad she is sounding a little better Bobbie. I hope they are able to tell you what caused it to burn so you know for the future if she allergic to something.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 February 2008 at 11:12am

Wow looking at those tickers .... doesnt time fly!

Bobbie ... hopefully Rowan is feeling better soon .... Im thinking that paint the earth thing is really cool ... so hopefully I can make my way over the bridge soon, before she gets too big

-------------

Date Posted: 04 February 2008 at 11:33am
There used to be one in Mt Eden too but they've obviously closed it down. It is great fun - but the shop is small so don't plan on bringing a buggy in and don't go in the weekend as it is packed.

Swab results aren't in until this afternoon but the rash is spreading and the blistering is getting worse!! So the antibacterial stuff isn't working. Gave her some nappy off time in a patch of sun this morning so hopefully that helps. Last night she was screaming again and so we undressed her and sat her in a bath of water and baking soda to neutralise the acid and that seemed to help.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 February 2008 at 11:47am
Oh, poor little Rowan. I wish they could do something a bit faster for her. Can I ask what cream it was that did it in the first place?

-------------

Posted By: My3Sons
Date Posted: 04 February 2008 at 1:09pm

Hi everyone!

So glad to finally be in here!!  We are getting back into the rythm of things at home with a new little person, school started back today so it has been all go!!  Drew seems to have night and day back to front at the moment, sleeping lots during the day and having big wide awake periods at night.  For those of you who are trying a routine, how early did you start?  I know he needs a few days to get over being born and all lol but I definelty think a routine will make life easier for all of us.

Hope all the mums and bubbas are doing well!!

-------------
Mum to Mr 10, Mr 6 and Mr 4

Posted By: Snickerdoodle
Date Posted: 04 February 2008 at 3:03pm
**quickly before I catch up on posts - from pregnancy thread**

SORRY EVERYONE!!

I got a text at 10:30 this morning but I've been napping and washing, haven't had a second to log on...

BUT.............

"Chloe finally born at 7:44am this morning, 8lbs 2oz (3.7kg), by forceps after a long difficult labour. Bubs posterior and had tachycardia so had to have epi just in case of c section and syntocin to help me dilate but finally pushed her out with aid of forceps and a cut. she has loads of black hair! Mum and bubs recovering well :)"

CONGRATS JANE AND ANDY!! Welcome to little Chloe! We can't wait for pics!!

-------------

Posted By: BellaB
Date Posted: 04 February 2008 at 3:16pm
Fabulous news !! Congrats Janey and welcome at last Chloe :)

Date Posted: 04 February 2008 at 3:38pm
Congratulations Janey! Yay!

Freesia the original creams were Pimafucourt which is a cortisone with antifungal, and a zinc barrier cream (less likely to be the zinc one) and then we've been using Fodol which is an antibacterial. I don't think the creams have actually caused this in retrospect but they're just not doing anything.

Just rang for the results which still weren't in and the nurse rang through for them. The ones on her buttocks came back 'fine' whatever that means (I guess means no thrush) and the one for around her anus where the blisters are is going to take 21 days!! WTF?! But we're going in at 4:15 because her baby monitor alarm went off again at 1pm and this time it was definitely not a case of her rolling off the pad! The noise startled her back to breathing but still the DR wants to check it out.

Kiwimummy we didn't even think about a routine until Rowan was 4weeks old and then all we did was 'bookend' the day so that it started at 7am and finished at 7pm. She started feeding in a fairly regular pattern after that but with her shots and now this rash it's all gone out the window.

Edit: Oh yeah forgot to tell you guys that her monitor alarm went off on Sat morning as well but I just figured she'd wiggled off the pad as she was quite far over to the side of the cot.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 February 2008 at 5:58pm
Bobbie, all the best to you all. 21 days for results is ridiculous You must be at your wits end between the blisters, rash and breathing. Thinking of you.

My MW came for a visit today and Olivia only put on another 150gm last week as well. She said it's at the very bottom of the scale of what they would like babies to gain each week. That's 2 weeks in a row she's only put on a little bit of weight. I've been expressing when I can to bring on more milk and taking Blessed Thistle but it doesn't seem to have helped. She's now prescribed me domperidone which the pharmacist has freaked me out about using. I don't know what to do now. It's all getting really frustrating not being able to feed my baby. She drinks for about 15 mins in total (3x5min bursts) and then just won't take any more. I don't want to give up on it yet though.

Her umbilical cord is still attached too and looks way away from detaching. My MW wasn't concerned and said that it will come off but when I googled it (yeah, I know I shouldn't) there are conditions out there which this can be a symptom of. So I'm worried about that too.

I've just spent nearly 4 hrs trying to settle her down after waking her up for the MW visit and I've been in tears (again ) Man I hope things settle down soon.

-------------

Posted By: lottieandharry
Date Posted: 04 February 2008 at 6:56pm
Hey Freesia, big hugs to you. It is really hard work trying to do the absolute best for your baby and I know you will be doing everything you can. Charlotte was like Olivia, she never put on much weight. I was constantly stressing that she wasn't gaining enough, sometimes 50g!! She has always been a lean wee girl and probably always will be so try not to get too upset over it. Also Google is NOT your friend!!! Also speaking from experience on that one too!!

I had a crappy morning Harry had 2 30min naps between 5.30 and 12.30!! Arghh!!! DH in Auckland for the day left early and home late so has been full on here. Have to say that I was in tears trying to settle him all morning too!! Freesia you are not alone and I am supposed to be an experienced 2nd time mummy!! Hard work with a toddler as well.

Anyway need to go and wake HArry he has been a dream since 12.30pm. Would have liked to have him bathed and fed by 7pm but had to get Charlotte fed bathed and into bed as well so Harry had to wait. So not looking forward to DH being away Thurs\Fri and all of next week. I will be totally shattered by then. ANyway enough whinging from me must go and sort out child number 2!! Heres hoping he settles okay for bed but have a bad feeling that is not going to happen!!

Hope everyone is well and when I get a minute I will get back on here and catch up properly.

Oh and Congrats Janey so glad Chloe is here safe and sound!

-------------

Posted By: MumsyMoo
Date Posted: 04 February 2008 at 10:18pm
Hey guys! Yay!!

Finally an opportunity to get in and catch up!

Congrats to Janey and her DH - Welcome Baby Chloe!

Well! I'm so glad Eden's finally here and that I'm home - Although last night that was a completely different story... I couldn't help it - 5:30 this morning I just lot it and broke down. In hospital I'd had this absolute angel of a baby - Fed brilliantly, slept like a dream, only woke twice a night and was able to be settled almost instantly... Then last night my angel baby turned into a demon baby! Up all night, screaming and crying inconsolably, I was horribly horribly engorged and she wasn't able to feed properly - It SUCKED! I felt terrible.

Today's been much much better though... Had my Mum here this morning to help out, DF finished work at noon (and will continue to do so for the next two weeks) and then our midwife popped in this afternoon to do our first at home check - Everything's fine! So far Eden's only lost 40 grams off her birth weight and all tests have come back clear! Yay!

But anyways, I'll give you a brief run-down of my birth story lol (although knowing me it'll probably end up a mega ramble)

So on Wednesday, mum and I went for our mega mammoth walk in the hope that it might gets things moving along...
Well it certainly worked. Once I got home I was having really bad pains in my back, my bum and low down in my pelvis and shooting pains in my inner thighs. They were bareable, but only just. I was able to time them and they were coming every 20, 15 then 10 minutes... So I rang the midwife at 2, was told to keep timing and that she'd ring back at 4:30 to check in... 4:30 rolled around, still no change... So she'd ring back at 6:30... 6:30 came... Had only changed to being about every 10-8 minutes apart and not increasing in intensity... She asked if I'd been feeling much movement, to which I said no (and I thought nothing of it as I'd heard and read that babies have the tendancy to quieten down before the big event) so she said she'd ring again at 8:30 to see how we're going and also told me to keep an eye out for any movement...

So 8:30 rolls around, midwife rings... Still no progress with the contractions and still not felt any kicking, just one occassion where I felt her bum kinda shift slightly across the top of my bump. So I was told to meet her at the hospital at 9:30 so they could monitor me on the CTG... So I finished packing bags, put them in the car, made sure the capsule was all strapped in, had a shower and shaved my legs (lol) and then we proceeded to make our way to hospital.

Arrived at hospital at 9:30 - 9:45 get the machine strapped on... 10:15 get told that things look fine and that we could probably go home but to ring should things progress... Midwife takes the trace out to show the doctor and comes back to inform us that she'd like to monitor me for another half hour as there had been a dip in baby's heart rate (dropped down to 98bpm, the normal being between 110-160bpm).

After another half hour on the CTG - Where it showed yet another dip in her heart rate - I was given an internal (holy CRAP! Oouch... What an induction into womanhood!) and I was told that my cervix was prosterior and not dialated... AT ALL! *After all that!?*... A specialist was called in and I was told that I was most likely going to be given some prostoglandin suppositories to see if we were able to kick start labour...

Well, come 11pm, the specialist I had just seen went off to talk to his superior for some more advice on what to do... I was given an ultrasound where they discovered there were only a few pockets of fluid around baby that only measured 1cm, and the biggest pocket measuring 2cm... Ideally, baby needs 3cm of fluid around them to be deemed 'safe'.

Armed with this information, it was decided that they really needed to get labour started and to see how baby would cope with labour, so they agreed that they would try to rupture the membranes and see how we went... Hmmm, it was not to be so... After another internal (this time done by the specialist and me on gas.. Hahaha, oh that was funny!) I was told that as I'd not dialated at all, they weren't able to rupture the membranes as they had no way of reaching them... So basically, because there was next to no fluid around baby and there had been dips in her heart rate, for fear of her going into fetal distress they wanted to perform a c-section... Now, I thought that they were going to wait until the morning... But no - They wanted her out and they wanted her out NOW...

So by 12 I was signing consent forms, having my growler shaved, having needles jabbed into me left right and centre. By 12:30 I was in the theatre getting prepped and having the epidural administered... after 3 failed attempts, they ended up just doing a spinal block and at 1:03am my beautiful little lady was brought into this world, weighing 7lb 4oz and with her cord wrapped tightly around her feet like a bungy cord (which coincendently, combined with the lack of fluid was causing compressions which was why her heart rate kept dipping).

So it all happened very fast and it was all rather unexpected... I'm somewhat disappointed I missed out on the whole labour and birth experience, but on the other hand am so glad that I didn't go through it for fear of what it may have done to my little girl as far as distressing her goes.

Alright... I think that's enough from me! Hope you're all doing well with your wee ones and I'm so happy I can finally join you in the pleasures of motherhood!

Love and Thoughts,
Serenity and Eden

xxx

P.S: Janey, Julia and Charly, I'm really sorry if you txt and I didn't reply... I wasn't being a snob - On friday morning some miserable twat stole my phone at the hospital

-------------
My wee girl is the love and light of my life!

Date Posted: 05 February 2008 at 7:52am
Sounds like your C-section was for the best Serenity

Date Posted: 05 February 2008 at 10:03am
Yay, congrats KiwiMummy, Serenity & Janey!!

I've been a bit of a lurker rather than a poster the last few days, so now trying in vain to catch up

Serenity, wow it's very good they did the ceaser for your wee Eden! Sounds like she might be a bit of a daredevil ay, born trying to bungy jump already

Gosh Bobbie, that's awful about Rowan's rash . I hope it clears up soon. It must be so hard seeing your wee girl in pain.

Freesia . I hope Olivia is a bit more settled today, and getting some more of that milk! 4 hours trying to settle her you poor thing.

Harry has gone back to waking twice a night (gosh the once a night was bliss while it lasted!) but we keep things very dark and quiet and he goes back to sleep straight away, which is great.

DH went back to work yesterday, but is going in early so he can be home at about 3.30pm which is fab. So first day at home by myself, I went for a walk to the bakery to get something for lunch. It felt good but boy was I exhausted! It was about a 40min round trip cos I was walking quite slowly A combination of still having a sore bum and not having done much exercise for a while, but hey if I can do that most days (maybe just every second day to start with ) hopefully it'll pick up soon.

I'm about to pop over to the photo forum to post a couple of new videos...

-------------

Posted By: MumsyMoo
Date Posted: 05 February 2008 at 11:01am
Thought I'd share a few piccies of my little princess:

2 hours, 3 minutes old:

First car ridfe - On our way to Kenepuru Hospital:

Mum and Baby sound asleep:

My cute coming home outfit!!!:

And finally, Daddy and I (he loves me sooooooo much:

-------------
My wee girl is the love and light of my life!

Date Posted: 05 February 2008 at 11:39am
Wow Serenity - what a story! Sounds like it was definitely best to have a c-sect!

Eden is just gorgeous! You look like very besotted parents! Congrats

Posted By: Neeks
Date Posted: 05 February 2008 at 11:43am
awww, Eden is just so cute!!! Well done

I love her little pink 'going home' outfit

-------------

Date Posted: 05 February 2008 at 12:03pm
She is beautiful Serenity

Date Posted: 05 February 2008 at 12:10pm
What a cutie! Ditto about the going home outfit.. gorgeous. And her daddy looks totally smitten

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net