Print Page | Close Window

maori superstitions fantail in house

Printed From: OHbaby!
Category: General Chat
Forum Name: General Chat
Forum Description: For mums, dads, parents-to-be, grandparents, friends -- you name it! And you name the topic you want to chat about!
URL: https://www.ohbaby.co.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23725
Printed Date: 16 April 2024 at 9:05pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: maori superstitions fantail in house
Posted By: Two Blondinis
Subject: maori superstitions fantail in house
Date Posted: 13 January 2009 at 8:49pm
Tonight whilst I was putting Caitlin to bed a fantail flew in the barely open kitchen window, through the dining room, across the hallway to Caitlin's old nursery. DH let it out through the window in there.

He's absoutely freaking out about it as we are just about to start TTC and it flew into the nursery! It would take a bit of effort to get into that room and I would have thought it would have gone for the next window it saw which is our bedroom off the dining room - but it went to the nursery!

DH is what I would call your stereo-typical pakeha kiwi bloke and so not into superstitions from any culture, but he's talking about asking his friend (he's Maori) to arrange to have the house blessed!!!

Being a pom and not knowing anything about this stuff I did a quick google and came up with a variety of options - most being about death

Can someone please put my mind at rest, am freaking out a bit here!!!!

-------------
http://lilypie.com">

Replies:
Posted By: MummyFreckle
Date Posted: 13 January 2009 at 8:58pm

I had a quick look and found this on http://www.maori.org - www.maori.org - not sure if its helpful or not - hopefully someone else might be able to provide more info.

Our Ngâpuhi mau râkau style is based on the movements of tîrairaka. The superstition around tîrairaka is based on the Maaui kôrero where as a result of tîrairaka unable to hold its laughter Maaui was crushed at the entrance way to Hine-nui-te-pô Goddess of Death. The following information should provide you with all the relevant kôrero.

Hei konei râ.

Apart from hiwaiwaka, tirairaka and tiwakawaka, there are sixteen other dialectal Maori names for the fantail, many of which denote the restlessness of this little bird.

Tiwakawaka is also the name of a grandson of the demi-god and folk hero Maui (Maui-potiki). He was one of the first maori settlers to arrive in the Bay of Plenty more than 1000 years ago, well before the main migrations. This was the time of the explorer Kupe and his grandson Nukutawhiti. Tiwakawaka was captain of Te Aratauwhaiti canoe and is said to have been one of Kupe’s people who stayed on when Kupe returned to eastern Polynesia.

When Nukutawhiti returned in Kupe’s canoe to New Zealand it was Tiwakawaka who came down to the beach to challenge him, no doubt boldly like the fantail. Kupe had seen the fantail, tiwakawaka, on his exploratory trip and noted that it carried its tail feathers erect and could spread them out like a fan. Its challenging behaviour reminded Kupe that he was entering the domain of Tane, god of the forest, and perhaps reminded him also of the mythical battle between the sea and land birds.

Taiaha weapon in hand, the fantail and its companion the owl, who was armed with a pouwhenua, advanced towards the forces of the sea birds. Fantail got into a towering passion and danced and glared and performed all manner of gesticulations. Indeed it is said that the war dance, the haka, owes something to this dance of the tiwakawaka in mythological times, or at least the single action in it of jumping from side to side while brandishing a weapon.

It is, however, in the stories of Maui that the tiwakawaka plays its most important role in Maori mythology. From its refusal to tell Maui where his ancentress Mahuika kept fire hidden, it got its very appearance. In retaliation Maui took the bird and squeezed it so hard that its eyes nearly popped out, hence their prominence now. This also explains why its tail projects so far behind its body and why it flies so erratically.

Let it now be said that the fantail got its revenge in full on Maui for his rough treatment by not obeying his instructions when it accompanied him on his last and greatest exploit to the realms of Hinenuitepo.

In those far off days Hinenuitepo, goddess of night, goddess of death, lived, as she does today, in the underworld of spirits. As mother of mankind she has decreed from the troublesome earliest days of creation that man should live one cycle of life, then die. Maui wanted to give mankind everlasting life. He sought to kill Hinenuitepo and by doing so abolish death forever.

When Maui asked his father what Hinenuitepo looked like, he replied: “you will see that her body is like that of a human being, but is of gigantic size, with thighs as red as the setting sun. You will see eyes of greenstone, flashing like the opening and shutting of the horizon in summer lightening. You will see teeth as sharp as flaked obsidian and a mouth like that of a barracouta, and hair like a tangled mass of sea kelp”.

Maui chose several bird companions besides the fantail to accompany him on his great quest. Because he had the ability to change into many life forms, he was able to travel with these birds to the underworld as a sparrow hawk.

Maui’s objective was to enter the womb of Hinenuitepo when she was sleeping and by passing through her vital organs to her mouth, to destroy death. He said to his companions, “My command is that when I enter the womb of Hinenuitepo, you must on no account laugh.”

So Maui, having taken on the form of the noke worm, then entered the womb but as he disappeared within, Tatahore, the whitehead, burst out laughing whilst the fantail rushed out and began dancing about with delight. And then was roused Hinenuitepo who closed her legs and strangled Maui and killed him.

-------------
http://lilypie.com"> http://lilypie.com">

Posted By: kakapo
Date Posted: 13 January 2009 at 9:05pm

We've had a fantails fly into several of the houses we've lived in over the years and nothing bad has ever happened ... I'm sure you'll be fine too. Have you had any other birds fly inside before (we had a swallow visit last weekend!).

If you're worried then go ahead and have the house blessed for your own (and your DH's) peace of mind .

Date Posted: 13 January 2009 at 9:18pm
I've never had a bird in my house! I've got a bit of a phobia (in that I'm scared they'll poop on me! lol)

Thanks for the info Sam. I find the maori stories fascinating.
I'm a tad worried about poor old Maui getting strangled half way up Hinenuitepo's hoo-haa

I'm sure we'll be ok but I'll let DH get the blessing done JUST IN CASE!

-------------

Posted By: FreeSpirit
Date Posted: 13 January 2009 at 9:21pm
I've heard that a fantail can be a herald of the gates, and as the gates swing both ways it can either be a warning of death or a herald of new life.

Might be wrong, just what I heard (if it helps the last time I saw a fantail was 3weeks before a BFP)

-------------
http://www.babysfirstsite.com">

Date Posted: 13 January 2009 at 9:24pm
I like that angle better than the death one. Will tell DH that, might calm him down

-------------

Posted By: HippyMama
Date Posted: 13 January 2009 at 9:30pm
Just to be difficult, I can see it in two ways.

You could take the piwakawaka flying into your house as it is traditionally signified - a bad omen. I'd then say cover your bases and have the house blessed in whichever manner you see fit.

On the other hand, in other cultures omens of death often signify that the exact opposite is about to occur - such as dreaming of funerals etc is said to mean that someone you know is pregnant. In which case, I would take a deep breath, have a stiff drink, and try to relax.

-------------
Mama to two earth walkers & two angels.

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being. ~ Kittie Franz

Next Slingbabies! Meet - Friday 4th May !!

Posted By: HippyMama
Date Posted: 13 January 2009 at 9:33pm
Ah ha! Found something else directly related to the piwakawaka for you...

Apparently the belief is that if a fantail flies into your house and twitters, he is the bearer of bad news. But there’s something special about a fantail that enters a house and is quiet - something positive.

(Had this passed on to me by a friend with Maori family.)

-------------
Mama to two earth walkers & two angels.

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being. ~ Kittie Franz

Next Slingbabies! Meet - Friday 4th May !!

Date Posted: 13 January 2009 at 9:35pm
That's not so good then as it was quiet UNTIL it got to the nursery!

I like the idea of the stiff drink tho

-------------

Posted By: mummy_becks
Date Posted: 13 January 2009 at 9:38pm

Fantails coming inside to me are total bad luck. Get the house blessed.

-------------
I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!

Posted By: MrsH
Date Posted: 13 January 2009 at 9:41pm
I might be inclined to check with a maori priest and possibly get the house blessed anyway - couldn't do any harm.

-------------
http://lilypie.com"> http://lilypie.com">

Posted By: emz
Date Posted: 13 January 2009 at 9:57pm
It's not just a Maori superstition.

My grandad and his best friend just died and while camping at christmas a fantail visited us a few days in a row and tried to fly into all our tents. We thought it was rather lovely, that they were checking up on us.

I didn't see it as a bad omen though, especially since I got my BFP only a week later!

Posted By: kiwisj
Date Posted: 13 January 2009 at 9:57pm
Very interesting, I didn't actually realise this was a maori thing..

When my Grandad passed away a few years ago we kept getting fantails in the house at my Nan's (AFTER he passed) and there was even one at the funeral home the day we went to visit Grandad. The thing is, all my family were talking about fantails being around when there's a death - but this is my very ENGLISH side of the family.

Anyways, they saw it as a positive thing, rather than bad luck but if it makes DH and you feel better, get your house blessed, no harm done, right?

-------------
SJ
Callum - Dec 2008
Daniel - Oct 2010

Posted By: .Mel
Date Posted: 13 January 2009 at 10:15pm
We've had a twittering fantail in our house a few times, and so far nothing has happened... I still freak though.

-------------
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

Posted By: Shezamumof3
Date Posted: 13 January 2009 at 10:29pm
Im not so sure I believe in all that stuff. I mean a bird is going to twitter and panic and fly all over the show trying to get out.

But if you are worried, cant hurt to have the place blessed.

-------------

Posted By: AandCsmum
Date Posted: 13 January 2009 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by kiwisj kiwisj wrote:

Very interesting, I didn't actually realise this was a maori thing..

When my Grandad passed away a few years ago we kept getting fantails in the house at my Nan's (AFTER he passed) and there was even one at the funeral home the day we went to visit Grandad. The thing is, all my family were talking about fantails being around when there's a death - but this is my very ENGLISH side of the family.

Anyways, they saw it as a positive thing, rather than bad luck but if it makes DH and you feel better, get your house blessed, no harm done, right?

I have read somewhere that the fantails carry the spirit's of the person/people who had died. I would take it as positive.

-------------
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12

Posted By: caraMel
Date Posted: 13 January 2009 at 11:14pm
I was talking to someone about this just the other day. She said apparently the myth varies from tribe to tribe but in her tribe the story goes that it is only the little black fantails that are relevant as the bearer of news and it can mean either a spirit coming to visit, a pregnancy or birth in the family or a death in the family.
Another thing is that they are really friendly, curious birds. Not so good IMO because I have a phobia of birds and having them inside is one of my biggest fears.
My parents live up north and the have a pair that visit them really regularly and are so tame they will come and sit with them at the table outside. Despite the family dog and cat!
Don't freak Toni and yes, drink up!!

-------------
Mel, Mummy to E: 6, B: 4 and:

Posted By: lizzle
Date Posted: 14 January 2009 at 7:59am
My family is Rongowhakaata and they believe that fantails are spirits of ancestors past, popping in to say hi.

I grew up in King country where it's the death thing, butwhen one flew in during an xmas, my MIL was delighted.

Posted By: ooEvaoo
Date Posted: 14 January 2009 at 8:28am
Yup I agree with caraMel. My family has had instances of fantails flying in the house, but death hasn't been the case each time. I think the fact that the bird flew into the nursery is probably a good sign!

-------------

Posted By: KiwiL
Date Posted: 14 January 2009 at 1:47pm
I never knew about this!

Just after my granddad died, when I was 15, I came home one night and hopped into bed. Right next to my pillow was a fantail that was just sitting there. It had been there a long time, judging by the amount of poop!

It was the strangest thing as no windows were open in my room. At the time I thought it might have had something to do with my granddad... he was a total bird lover.

I didn't see any significance in it being a fantail though.... The sensible part of me said that it had flown in and hurt itself somehow (we had net curtains though, so possibly not by banging into the window).

And for the record - I let it go free out the window and it flew off happily.

Having said all that, fantails are incredibly inquisitive. I go tramping a lot and regularly get fantails following us for ages at a time. When we were in the Sounds, a friend convinced one to land on her finger.

Posted By: phatchik
Date Posted: 14 April 2010 at 8:56am
Hiya, I had a fantail in my house recently too. It was odd because we havent seen fantails for quite some time (months) and one was flying around in the house for a while before I realise he was inside and not outside with his/her mates.

I was initially worried as I had heard that they are the fore bearers of a death in the family. We have a 4 month old baby boy and it concerned me. Then I remebered the same thing happened when my daughter was born 20 years ago, she was about the same age when we were visited by a fantail.

I believe it was a spirit visiting my children, perhaps their maternal grandfather they never got to meet. he died a few years before my daughter was born.

Posted By: Kellyfer
Date Posted: 14 April 2010 at 10:13am
Awesome thread... I have always loved fantails because they're so friendly! And sometimes when you're tramping out in the wops, the same one will follow you for ages!
I knew they had some significance in terms of Maori mythology, but I wasn't sure of the exact story. But I do know that it's true that death omens across cultures can often swing the other way and be "life omens" so to speak. So maybe the fantail visiting is some sort of connection between the spirit world and our world... perhaps a blessing from someone you were close to who has passed on the TTC. Or maybe it is a family spirit who is close to your child popping in for a visit.

-------------

Posted By: Booski
Date Posted: 14 April 2010 at 10:59am
Oh yes I'd always heard is was the black fantails who were 'bad' omens. But in saying that the black fantail is a Southern NZ species.

If hubby is freaking out theres no harm in having a blessing I recon

-------------

Posted By: TheKelly
Date Posted: 14 April 2010 at 1:17pm
This is reminds me of Shortland street ...Norman died in a car crash after he thought he saw a fantail ...except noone else could see it , which I think they said was the whole point ,its when you see a fantail but noone else does that you start crapping your pants .
However if you are seeing things others don't see , you shoule probably be a bit concerned anyway ....

-------------

Posted By: ElfsMum
Date Posted: 14 April 2010 at 1:48pm
we had one fly in the other day and i worried... but my relative had just died and also we live in the country and as DH said there are a milllion fantails out here.. it was quiet though so that was good.. anyway great thread !

-------------
Mum to two amazing boys!

Posted By: Jessica
Date Posted: 14 April 2010 at 5:49pm
We always seem to have fantails in the house - always two and it has been in the last 3 houses we have lived in, used to freak me out a little until a Maori friend told me it was spirits past coming back to visit, so now I just like to think that is my twins who we lost in 2006 - Lachie and Tessa get very excited when they come in!

-------------

Our con-joined boys 20 wk

Posted By: Aquarius
Date Posted: 14 April 2010 at 9:44pm

i wont lie, fantails scare me.
i think getting the house blessed is a great idea expecially if one of you are concerned.
if noone gave a second thought to it then its a non issue but when there is a window of doubt in someones mind it seems to manifest...
i defineatly think they are related to the spirits some how...not nesessary to bring death but maybe someone who has recently passed or is connected to you guys.
not all superstitions get me...but i would never have arum lillies in my home either (dont know why)

-------------
http://www.magicalkingdoms.com/timers/">
mum to mr 16 & mr 10

Posted By: Guest_82673
Date Posted: 04 July 2012 at 8:45pm
i don't think my family has ever came together as one and visited my nana and great nanas grave stone we visited the grave stone today and my nana and great nana is really into there moari beliefs a fantail greeted us today on the headstones it was so friendly and so unreal we could almost touch it also my cousins girlfriend is pregnant. wither you believe it or not but i believe the fantails represent death or somethings beautifuls going to happen.

Posted By: lisame
Date Posted: 18 July 2012 at 12:09pm
like Jessica, we frequently have fantails fly into our house. Over summer, probably once a week they'll do a few circuits of the lounge and dining room, pick up some insects, and leave again. I don't really think much of it other than it's nice to have them around... we're surrounded by bush and have lots of glass round our lounge and dining room, and sets of french doors, so I guess it's an extension of outdoors for them.

I laughed at TheKelly... these fantails are visible to others, not just me!

Posted By: MrsMojo
Date Posted: 19 July 2012 at 6:30am
We had a fantail visit us in April last year. I had lived in that house for over 3 years and never seen a fantail before. It didn't come inside but stayed outside, where we were playing, and flew/swooped around for ages.... So long I got my camera out to record the odd behaviour.
A few days later my MIL was at FILs grave for his anniversary when she collapsed. She died 6 days later.
At her interment we noticed two fantails sitting in two different trees close by. As the final blessing was being said they swooped down, crossed paths over the grave and then flew away together.
Now I'm not particularly superstitious and neither DH or I have Moari blood but that was extraordinary.
Maybe FIL came to guide his wife as her time with us ended but he took the opportunity to play with the grand kids he never met first.

-------------

Posted By: Summer231203
Date Posted: 12 May 2018 at 7:07pm
I had 2 visit me a few weeks ago they came through a tiny window. One sat on my head and sang me an song danced around and left. They came at a very dark time in my life and as soon as I saw them I felt at peace I think it was my grandfather coming to tell me im okay. I felt my grandfather's presence.

And nobody has died so I'll just take it as I believe.

Posted By: RogerLauder231977
Date Posted: 30 June 2018 at 2:47pm
Hi
I had fantails a sometime swallows come in.
Dont worry about it.
Where I work fantail will dive through when door partly open spend time looking for insects them may have open door to let sometimes 2 out we have many come in so far no nody croaked.

Posted By: ChenelleM
Date Posted: 20 June 2019 at 2:26am
I have lived in my house for around 8 years... in the first 7 years i had 1 fantail fly into our lounge and a couple of months later an uncle passed away...now in the last 3 months we have had 6 fantails fly into our house, going from room to room. (I am terrified of birds) but I am a spiritual person, i have Maori family, so im in two minds about it being both a good and a bad thing. Unfortunately my nana has a terminal disease and can understand if they are warning me about this, but i also have heard it can be a spirit coming to visit or a sign of new beginnings.... so to put my mind at ease I believe it is my poppa (nanas deceased husband) visiting me as he maybe hanging around waiting for my nana to join him...i wish he wouldn’t visit me as a bird but after i have a freak out, I reminded myself that it is a peaceful thing, and they are never threatening... such a graceful, smart and beautiful bird to.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net