Protect your child's delicate skin from the harsh summer sun with these gentle, specially formulated sunscreens for babies and toddlers.
Keeping safe in the sun
Babies and small children have tender, delicate skin, and can burn easily in New Zealand's summer sunshine. Even if you're only going to the local playground for an hour, your child needs sunscreen and a hat, and you
should be careful to protect them from too much sun. The Cancer Society of New Zealand has the following recommendations:
• Keep infants and small children out of the sun as much as possible between September and March, especially between 11am and 4pm.
• Provide adequate shade and regularly check positioning of infant's clothing to ensure adequate protection from sun.
• Be cautious using sunscreen on babies under one year of age. Where possible, use clothing to cover their skin.
• Where skin is unavoidably exposed (such as the backs of hands, tops of feet, backs of neck, ears, and hairline), apply SPF30+ broad spectrum sunscreen.
• Patch-test sunscreen on a small area of skin first.
• Sunscreen should be applied 15 to 20 minutes before going outside and reapplied at regular intervals.
Remember the SunSmart rules - "slip, slop, slap, and wrap" - apply to all ages. Extra diligence is needed with babies and young children, due to their especially sensitive skin and the fact that episodes of sunburn in children and adolescence increase the risk of melanoma in adulthood. For more information, check out www.sunsmart.org.nz .
Coppertone Water Babies Sunscreen
Lotion Spray SPF50 ($19.99)
Sunscreen Lotion SPF50 ($12.99)
Sunblock Stick SPF30 ($9.99)
These easy-to-apply, non-irrritant formulations offer high protection for little bodies.
Zinc-based and enriched with carrot and sesame oils, shea butter, and essential oils. From www.ecostore.co.nz
Weleda Edelweiss Sun Cream
Mineral-based protection that smells beautiful and is gentle on sensitive skin.
Dr Hauschka Sunscreen Cream for Children
Intense protection for sensitive skin with macadamia nut oil, quince seed, avocado, and ice plant.
SPF 15+ ($16.95)
Manuka honey and chamomile extract make this perfect for sensitive skin. From www.babybaby.co.nz
Hawaiian Tropic Baby Faces & Tender Places Sunscreen
Gentle, advanced UV protection tested by dermatologists and paediatricians.
Hum Organic Baby Moisturiser with Sunscreen
Organic lavender gives this super-gentle sunscreen a soothing fragrance. From www.merinokids.co.nz
Hawaiian Tropic Sun Junk Sunscreen Spray
Sweat-proof and hypoallergenic, it's great for older toddlers on the move.