To celebrate Australia and New Zealand Babywearing Week (ANZBW), baby carrier company Babes In Arms is reaching out to families in need.
The Australian company is identifying influential charity groups who use their channels to distribute baby carriers where babywearing will make a powerful daily impact.
St Kilda Mums, a volunteer-run not-for-profit organisation based in St Kilda, Melbourne, is the first to benefit. St Kilda Mums re-homes new and pre-loved baby goods and nursery equipment to families in need.
A special allocation of Ergobaby Carrier has also been devoted for the lending libraries of babywearing groups. ANZBW wants to support babywearing groups that build bridges; groups that share an inclusive babywearing message that welcomes all babywearers, regardless of carrier choice. The focus on ‘practise not product’ will be an essential criteria in selecting babywearing groups to receive Ergobaby giftings.
Babywearing Week (which runs from 5 – 10 October this year) was originally conceived to raise the profile of babywearing in a pram-dominated culture. ANZBW also raises awareness about the health benefits of babywearing for parents and their babies which include:
· New parents may enjoy an increased bond with baby and increased confidence in being able to read their baby’s cues
· Babies feel safe and comforted by their parents’ body rhythms (heartbeat, breathing patterns, body temperature, voice and smell) which decreases a baby’s stress hormones
· Studies have shown that carrying babies reduces crying and fussiness 43% during the day and 51% at night
· Carried babies fall asleep quickly and enjoy deeper sleep cycles, vital for brain maturation
· Colic and reflux symptoms may reduce by the activation of digestive pressure points when babies are carried in an upright position
· A baby’s growth hormones are stimulated when carried, as is their cardiac output, circulation and muscular development
Charity and Babywearing Group applications for Ergobaby Carrier giftings are now being accepted through www.babywearingweek.com.au