SIGN UP!LOG IN OR JOIN TODAY TO RECEIVE PERSONALISED INFORMATION AND OUR FREE NEWSLETTER

Kiwi netball star helping kids to 'Eat like a pro'

One in eight New Zealand children aged 2-14 are obese, and a lack of access to healthy foods inside and outside the home is a key contributor, a new study has found. The 2017-2018 New Zealand Health Survey revealed the child obesity rate increased from 8% in 2006-07 to 12% in 2017-18.

The World Health Organisation estimates by the year 2025 there will be more than 70 million children in the world suffering from obesity.

It is an alarming finding and it’s why New Zealand netball superstar, Ameliaranne Ekenasio (pictured) has teamed up with the goal to change how kids and parents view healthy eating.

The global ‘Eat Like A Pro’ campaign by leading European home appliance manufacturer, Beko, aims to help parents inspire their kids to eat healthier and tackle the global issue of childhood obesity by showing children what their heroes eat.

Ekenasio, said as a mum, she has newfound respect for the importance of a well-balanced diet in supporting her own professional regime and motherhood but for her son’s development as well.

“As a professional athlete, it’s extremely important to maintain a healthy and balanced diet amidst all my training but since becoming a mum, I’ve realised why it’s so important for growing and active children to be doing the same to ensure they receive enough nutrients to build strong bones and fuel them with the right energy each day,” said Ameliaranne.

“It’s why I’ve joined Beko in their global mission to encourage kids in New Zealand to eat healthy food, just like their sporting heroes.”

Ameliaranne Ekenasio is an Australian born, New Zealand netball player. She currently plays for New Zealand's Central Pulse in the Trans-Tasman ANZ Championship.

Community
GALLERIES

Copyright © 2019 www.ohbaby.co.nz. All Rights reserved.