FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedLots of health issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
preggy_sunflower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote preggy_sunflower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lots of health issues
    Posted: 08 February 2006 at 1:00pm
Had my midwife appt this morning, and got the results of my bloods that were taken last week - turns out I am severely anaemic, have a very bad UTI, and worst of all - it would appear I have developed gestational diabetes Does anyone know much about this condition??? I'm freaking out!
Joshua Hadynn - Born 3 May 2006
Sponsored Links

Kazzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2006 at 1:53pm
Oh Clare,

Lots of women develop gestational diabetes, it seems to be a common thing while pregnant, and it seems to disappear once baby is born as well (well at least thats how i understand it).

I hope your midwife has given you plenty of information on it.

For the anemia and uti they are easily treatable. just means you need more iron and cranberry juice is good for UTIs.

to find out more about gestional diabetes type it into google..and i think that somewhere on this website there is information as well.

Try these websites

www.diabetes.org.nz/managing/gestational.html

www.nzhealth.net.nz/dis_ease/diabetes.shtml

Sending big hugs your way

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote preggy_sunflower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2006 at 2:35pm
Thanks Kaz, you're sweet The weird thing is I don't fall into any of the categories that usually preceed gestational diabetes, except being over 30. I've only put on 4.5kgs through this whole pregnancy so far, was of healthy weight beforehand and so seems strange that I have managed to get it. I have to go for a two hour blood test on Friday morning, then a 4 hour approx appt at Auckland City Hospital. Then at the end of it I'll know for sure.... so fingers crossed
Tastic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2006 at 3:26pm
Hey Claire, I had 3 uti's so was antibiotics, I was also anemic so was on Iron Tablets... (iron levels usally 20-200 I had 6!!!)
Cranbery Juice is a good one for the uti's!
Trish
If you want to talk just pm me ro email me on trishandjamie4eva@hotmail.com
Nic01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nic01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2006 at 4:13pm
I've been diagnosed with gestational diabetes as well. They don't usually tell whether you have it or not until after the 2 hour glucose test, so don't stress too much until after you've had that. I don't fall into any of the categories for having it either - apart from family history of my grandparents developing diabetes late in life. Mine is only a mild case, so is controlled by diet. I have to prick my finger & test my blood sugar results 4 times a day every 2nd day & really watch what I eat. No cakes, chocolate or other nice stuff like that anymore!! It also means that you go & see the diabetic clinic team - a midwife, obstetrician, physician & dietician - on a fairly regular basis as well as having appointments with your normal midwife. You also have more scans so they can check how the baby is doing. It's a pain in the bum, but I guess it's better to watch your diet for a few months & have a healthy baby rather than your baby getting really big & fat! It's supposed to go away after you've given birth too. You have to go for another glucose test 6 weeks after birth. Baby has to be tested after birth too because their glucose levels can be too low. The midwife at the diabetic clinic will give you loads of info though. It's all a bit overwhelming at first. Especially when the midwife at the diabetic clinic told me they would be taking over my care & I could go back to my independant midwife for post-natal care. Then in the next breath she told me that she was only available during working hours & outside of those times to ring the maternity clinic & speak to whoever was on duty! Not my idea of continuity of care. My normal midwife sorted it all out though & is still my LMC & will be attending the birth.
Sorry for such a long post. Hope it helps though!!
AlyAyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlyAyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2006 at 4:42pm
Oh Clare, Big hugs. At least they are on to it now and you can be treated and hopefully feel alot better

Jayde 25/12/04

Alyssa 08/04/03

http://Alyayde.bebo.com
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2006 at 6:00pm
Hi Clare. One of my mums friends also got gestational diabetes. Because of this they had decided to do a c-sectino, however, when she went in to have it, they decided that she and the baby were both healthy enough and she had a natural birth instead....so really apart from watching her diet, it didn't have much impact. hopefully this is true for you too!
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2006 at 8:49am
Aw Clare! Terrible news. The good thing is that now you know what the problems are you can fix them and hopefully start feeling a whole lot better. Can't believe you've put up with these things so far?!?

Big hugs babe. Hang in there. All seem very treatable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote preggy_sunflower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2006 at 9:52am
You girls are amazing Thanks so much for your support. Nikki - I thought it was morning sickness come back!!! And Nic01 - thanks so much for the insight as to what it's like to have the condition. I am hoping and praying that it was just a bad day when I got tested the first time, and that I'm just a bit high with the blood sugar levels rather than diabetes. Scary, but hey... it will be ok
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2006 at 7:09pm
Good luck Clare! I will be thinking of you, and hoping those sugar levels behave for the test!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2006 at 8:50pm
Good luck Clare. My first blood tests came back sky high and I had to do the 2 hour test the next day I was FREAKING out. Anyhow, that test came back fine, so fingers crossed for you, best of luck. Thinking of you!
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2006 at 7:28am
I forgot to say that I had a UTI that lasted 18 weeks when I was preg with Maya, they finally got it under control and I had to take antibiotics for the rest of my pregnancy. It wasn't a big deal, just one tablet a day, and I was amazed how much better I felt once the infection was cleared up!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
newmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2006 at 11:09am
Hope all goes well Clare!

jack_&_charli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2006 at 4:09pm
just wondering how you got on today clare? do you get the results straight away?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote preggy_sunflower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2006 at 4:35pm
YAY!!!!! Just got the results in, and I'm FINE FINE FINE!!! Must have just been a bad day or something the day I got tested, but all my levels are good, and there is nothing to worry about Thanks for all your support lovely ladies!!
newmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2006 at 5:53pm
wohoooooo Yay Clare!!!

AlyAyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlyAyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2006 at 7:17am
Thats fantastic news!

Jayde 25/12/04

Alyssa 08/04/03

http://Alyayde.bebo.com
Kazzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2006 at 8:03am
Yahhh Clare,

one less thing to worry about, i am really pleased for you

nuttymama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttymama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2006 at 9:04am
That's great you must be so relieved!
Abigail 06/01/2005
Jayden   21/11/2001
Micheal 03/04/1997
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2006 at 10:22am
Yay Clare! I'm pleased the results came back all good!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
 Post Reply Post Reply