FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedOh dear - my sister is going to kill me!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2008 at 9:58am
Hehehe. You crack me up. You forgot to mention that our niece, who I kindly brought with me to give her mother a break, was infested with nits

I must remind you though it's only the family members that retained the family name that are jinxes on our health. Last time I popped up with Michaela (when your #2 was born) we had no problems but then mum didn't stay with you that time.

So the solution - when you visit wellington give featherston a miss and stay with us instead and when I come up your way we just don't tell the others.

Re: chicken pox - if it is that - she's going to get it at some point so we may as well get it over and done with. Fingers crossed that whatever it is your ones aren't too contagious though as I spent the morning yesterday with a pregnant friend and her toddler (sure she won't appreciate us passing it on) and also visited a friend with a very sick baby last week.

Let us know.

p.s. hope you're managing to get some rest and that the littlies are sleeping well etc despite being sick. Kisses to them from me.
Sponsored Links

WigglesFan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WigglesFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2008 at 5:34pm
pmsl! I wasn't sure if you wanted me to make it public that close members of your family are infested with nits! Good point about the names! lol!
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2008 at 6:52pm
LOL, we have had nits in the past month
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WigglesFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2008 at 8:03pm
Well we didn't have them even though our niece did. Our theory is that she picked them up on the flight back to Wellington - otherwise my boys would have got infested too.
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2008 at 9:39pm
Michaela now has spots too. Thanks!! LOL just kidding, she does have spots but the doc says it's not viral. Her temps only slightly high and chest/ears/throat are fine but recently she's decided to give her poor constantly grazed knees a break and has started stubbing her toes (a habit picked up from wigglesfans #2 maybe) anyway while I was busy checking out her spots and arranging an md appt Michaela was ripping her shoes and socks off to reveal a hot, red, swollen toe with a red strip making it's way up her foot.

The doc thinks that the spots and temp are related to the infected toe and she's on penycillin (need spell check) which leads me to a very important question - how on earth do you get a toddler to take 7mls of that vile tasting stuff. It's awful and can't even be disguised in cordial (don't tell the dental health nurse I tried that).
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2008 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by Maya Maya wrote:

LOL, we have had nits in the past month

Nits are so gross. After the call from my little sis I went out immediately and spent $40 on a treatment "chinese whispers" as DH said he saw some in my hair (although the next day he admitted he had no idea what they look like - oh well, better safe than sorry).

What do you use to get rid of them?
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2008 at 10:39am
Ugh, I've spent $80 on products so far, plus combs, and it's still an ongoing process. She's clean for now, but who knows when they'll be back.

I used Moov shampoo to kill them, then Electric Blue conditioner to comb the eggs out, then Neutralice every day to help stop her getting them again.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2008 at 10:42am
Originally posted by Maya Maya wrote:

Ugh, I've spent $80 on products so far, plus combs, and it's still an ongoing process. She's clean for now, but who knows when they'll be back.

I used Moov shampoo to kill them, then Electric Blue conditioner to comb the eggs out, then Neutralice every day to help stop her getting them again.

What a debacle!! Do you have any idea who she's getting them from? Maybe the school should bring in a public health nurse to check all kids hair (like they used to when I was young).
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2008 at 10:50am
The school don't seem to be able to do much, I went to see the teacher and I was like "Maya has nits" and she was like "Yeah, I know". I was like "hello, when were you going to tell me?" Apparently they're not allowed to check kids hair anymore.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2008 at 11:12am
Bugger!! What can you do if other parents aren't being vigilent?

I looked at the min of ed website minedu.govt.nz and it says that the school must inform parents of affected children immediately - something Maya's school's obviously a bit slack about.
Ariana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ariana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2008 at 1:52pm
Hi slightly off the topic, but a good home remedy for nits is. Equal parts vinegar (any) and baby oil. Slap it on with a good shower cap or gladwrap... leave and wash out. Continue to do this for next few days until all nits and eggs are gone.

Not only does it work but hair is ultra soft!!!

Good luck,
Ariana

Mum to Minardi, Victoria, Alecia and William.
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2008 at 8:09pm
Great tip, thanks Ariana
Redbedrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redbedrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2008 at 8:48pm
Nits here too! used Lice Breaker on Fay and Prioderm shampoo for me and I think for the first time in 2 weeks I may be nit free, Fay's was clear last week but she doesn't have as much hair as I do
I hope you get clear soon Emma and find something that gives maya some protection, it's no fun in long thick hair I can tell ya
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WigglesFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2008 at 1:26pm
Pop a bit of tea tree oil in the shampoo. This apparently acts as a great deterrent.

Also, if there are nits the pour heaps of conditioner in the hair and leave for half a hour (wrap in glad wrap if necessary) then comb it out with a lice comb.

The conditioner smothers the lice and loosens the eggs.

A pet lice comb from the supermarket will do exactly the same job as a more expensive human one from the pharmacy.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WigglesFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2008 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by MrsMojo MrsMojo wrote:

Michaela now has spots too. Thanks!! LOL just kidding, she does have spots but the doc says it's not viral. Her temps only slightly high and chest/ears/throat are fine but recently she's decided to give her poor constantly grazed knees a break and has started stubbing her toes (a habit picked up from wigglesfans #2 maybe) anyway while I was busy checking out her spots and arranging an md appt Michaela was ripping her shoes and socks off to reveal a hot, red, swollen toe with a red strip making it's way up her foot.

The doc thinks that the spots and temp are related to the infected toe and she's on penycillin (need spell check) which leads me to a very important question - how on earth do you get a toddler to take 7mls of that vile tasting stuff. It's awful and can't even be disguised in cordial (don't tell the dental health nurse I tried that).

Poor wee missymoo! I hope that it is coming right now! #2 wigglesfan hasn't stubbed his toe all week - a world record. We are hoping it may one day regain its rounded shape on the end.

Will she suck the medicine out of a syringe? My boys are really good at that.

Edited by WigglesFan
Redbedrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redbedrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2008 at 1:29pm
Thanx for that Wigglefan, sorry to thread jack your chicken pox, hope you're keeping sane and they are not too bad
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2008 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by WigglesFan WigglesFan wrote:

Poor wee missymoo! I hope that it is coming right now!

Will she suck the medicine out of a syringe? My boys are really good at that.

There was no way she was letting us anywhere near her with the syringe. We managed to both hold her down yesterday morning and DH held her head while I squirted liquid into her mouth and she acted like a fountain - spitting it all into DH's face

I rang the doc in the morning to ask if they had any suggestions and also mentioned that the redness had spread up her foot and so the nurse made an appt for us to go back at 4:30pm then 20 mins later at lunchtime she called back to saythat she'd spoken to doc and he was concerned about spread and wanted me to bring her back immediately (way to freak me out).

He's given us something else to try (e-mycin) while has a mild flavour and she only needs 5mls 2 x per day with food. She won't take it from any kind of medicine dispenser so we're hiding it in her milk bottle.

He's not sure if this antibiotic will work and if it doesn't then she has to have an IV.
daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2008 at 2:44pm
It may sound cruel, but the best way I found to give my girl medicine (the only one who won't take it... the boys tantrum because they are NOT having some!) was to wrap her in a sheet or towel so that her arms were pinned, lay her on the ground and straddle her chest, keeping her in place with my knees, then squirt the medicine at the back of her throat with a syringe - kind of a "drink or drown" type of thing.

Its heartbreaking, but works.
Becca, mum of 2 girls & 3 boys
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WigglesFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2008 at 3:20pm
Oh my goodness - the poor wee lass!

i bet it hurts her too but you can't muck around with blood poisoning.

I agree with daikini - squirt it at the back of the throat to make it harder to spit out. It is a lot easier and less stressful than trying to keep a luer and IV in her!

Keep me informed!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12