FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedreading levels

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: reading levels
    Posted: 11 December 2009 at 3:48pm
ok so gabriel has just comehome with his school report. i am not happy with a lot of it... and his reading levels are one of those things.

he is reading at level 9 but i know he can read lots of other things too... yet they have put him down as reading at expected level only... and i know that he is reading at the highest level in his class and not even half the class are at the same level...

is there a website that has the expected reading levels for primary school children...

or maybe i am just being an over zealous mum !?

Sponsored Links

Sassy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sassy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2009 at 4:03pm
The reading levels equate to months, so level 1 is 5 years 1 month, and level 9 would be 5 years 9 months. (Up to a certain stage - 14./15 I think where they read at a level for up to 3 months)
The expectation is that by 6 years old they will be reading at level 12 (or at least it was where I was teaching, and I am pretty sure that is the national standards expectation for next year too) but within 3 months of chronological age is considered expected level.
There are colour levels too - 1/2 magenta 3-5 red, 6-8 yellow, 9-11 blue, 12-14 green etc. The classification varies with the texts too - pm readers vs ready to read etc. Hope that helps, and is not to muddly.

Edited by Sassy
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2009 at 4:06pm
no thats great sassy...   thanks.

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2009 at 8:49pm
That's great Sassy. My Mum is a NE teacher & showed me the charts & didn't even explain it that clearly. But we figured Alia was reading bang on for her age. There are some really advanced kids in her class though.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
linda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2009 at 9:05pm
Also have a look at this:-

http://www.astepatatime.co.nz/Reading%20Levels.pdf

DS1 is doing Reading Recovery so it is good to see how he is going

Alex 6 and Harry 8
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2009 at 12:23am
Hey Deb, sounds like he's doing just fine. It's amazing the different levels of kids in schools, when paris started school there were kids in her class that had never even picked up a pencil or didn't know how to write their name, abcs, colours etc, her teacher waqs so happy that she knew those things. So it is really hard when you know they are above the level of other kids in their class but the reports are written in regards to where that child is in relation to the expected standards, not in relation to what the other kids in their class are at.

With school reading stuff you need to remember that they put the level that the child can comfortably, confidently read at and get the words right without too much hassle. Ie Paris was tested a few months back and they found that she could read up to level 27, however.. she is still on level 21 books as there are some parts of level 27s that she still does find a bit of a hassle, need help to sound out or has difficulty understanding when they mean.   There is part of me going "if they tested her at that level why are they still sayings she's on this level", but then i understand where they are at as level 21 she can whiz thru, and only this week has she started getting level 22's just now.

Just encourage and help extend him as you are able.. I have found that getting reading books at their level, or the one above to help challenge them a little, from the city library is great as our library has a different range to some in the schools, that are just as good. We also tend to get out bedtime story books to read that we know are roughly around Paris's level and have th elibrary books in a plastic crate in our lounge iwth the kids little chairs either side kinda like a reading corner.. most afternoons Paris retreats there and will pick out the stories to read to her sister.. I found having that spot there really encouraged her to read in her spare time, as well as having stories that she can read that aren't just the "reading" and "homework" books she gets from school, getting them to read for their own pleasure spurs them on enormously

The books I have found most helpful are with Zip and mac (like the tv programme) etc they are wonderful. their site is also great as it gives you checklists of words etc that children need to be able to know at each stage of each level.

They are called "wild daisies" readers... and you can actually buy them online in packs or separately and they come with worksheets etc with them, a very helpful website, we get lots of these ones for ayja from the library, she's now moved up to level 4-5 in these ones - they are great! Wild-daisies website

our library also has red-rocket readers, which are also really good and cover more topics and information about alot of things, not just stories but actual info about animals, our world, how things are made etc.. have a look out at your library and see what's available.

Edited by mum2paris
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

freckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2009 at 8:03am
I agree with mum2paris - it sounds like he is doing well! I think what happens at times is that although children's reading accuracy can be quite high, their comprehension of what they are reading is not at the same level. Which is completely understandable as you wouldn't expect them to comprehend much more complex language at a young age.
mum to 3 lovely girls :D
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2009 at 9:21am
thanks janine... hubby and i were talking last night about taking a more active role in encouraging him. he loves to read, and books are a big part of this house... will definitley look into those zip and mac books cause both boys love the tv show.

Snappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2009 at 10:55pm
It sounds like he is doing great Bizzy

Janaya is the same, reading well over her expected level for her age, but the teacher said she was not going to put her forward because although she is reading complex stories and information she isn't processing or understanding what she is reading. (As Freckle mentioned)
We are trying to encourage her to read Non-Fiction books (Dinosaurs, Planets, Anything really!) She will sit there and read the newspaper out to me but just has no idea what some of the words mean!
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2009 at 10:59pm
Comprehension is a big part of completing a running record and that's where most kids fall behind at a young age (compared to their accuracy etc) because it takes them a while to get it.

Teaching them to summarise main points in a story, talk about how characters may be feeling, the moral of the story etc will all help. One thing I found really effective in seeing if a child actually took in a story (rather than just reading the words, not reading for meaning) was to jumble up a story (photocopied the pages) and get them to put it back together again. it's a bit of an eye-opener.
jaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2009 at 7:51am
Coming from a family of dyslexics I think if there is one thing you can encourage in your kids it should be reading. If you can't read and understand things so many doors close.
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2009 at 2:00pm
We have also started picking out one chapter book when we go to the library that we read a chapter of each night when I am home.. other nights daddy reads them story books. But we choose classics, and at the end of each chapter I will ask them what they remembered, what it was about etc.

We have already read through the folk of the faraway tree, and georges marvelous medicine, they enjoyed that one so much that we are now reading roald dahl's Matilda, they are loving it so far and Paris likes how he will spend a long time describing the people so that she gets a pictur ein her head of what that person looks and acts like... I have found this great for talking about things and helping thier understanding but also is neat because I get to share some of my favourite books from when i was young with them.

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2009 at 3:02pm
Janine- we've also been reading some chapter books and Fantastic Mr Fox is fabulous (and has a movie coming out)
lemongirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lemongirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2009 at 9:22am
DP's kiddo is a really good what I'd call 'rote reader' she can read really, really well but have no idea what the story is saying. So we ask a lot of questions about the story or perhaps say something false that happened in the book to see if she's actually picked up the jist of the story

eg. Did sophie go to the park with her dad?
No she went to the store with her mum.

Also I think it is really dangerous to compare how your kid is doing in relation to other kids. They all have their own individual strengths and weaknesses and what might work for little johnny might not work for your kid.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2009 at 8:15pm
OMG I love the Roald Dahl books, can't wait for the Fantastic Mr Fox movie. And am also a big fan of Enid Blyton.

I have no idea what Maya's reading level is, her portfolio doesn't come home till Wed, but I think the way they do the school reports in general is really vague - they grade everything in levels, but it's nigh on impossible to work out whether your child is average, above or below coz it gives such a wide range. I asked her teacher about it when she was in NE and it's apparently designed so that the kids aren't compared to or competing against each other, but in my (fairly well-educated) opinion it's wishy washy.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2009 at 8:16pm
And I agree, it's not a good idea to compare kids, but it is helpful to know that your child is at the expected level for his or her age, or in the top 30% or bottom 30% etc.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2009 at 10:39pm
yeah Fantastic Mr Fox is one of my favourites too, as is the BFG, however Paris really wants to read Charlie and the Chocolate factory next.

I completely agree with the wishy washy statement in regards to the school reports, I have to interpret it for Mike. lol The only helpful thing is her teacher really helps out with her comments. We got hers today and the teacher commented that she is reading 2 years ahead of her chronological age. that was actually helpful to know that.

Edited by mum2paris

nictoddie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nictoddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2009 at 9:29pm
I think that he is doing fine too, we had issues with reading with our mr 6.5 as well and we changed him schools in term 4 as we moved house from Palmy to Ashhurst best thing we ever did , we he started he was way behind and was level 4! He has been in reading recovery this term and has gone up to level 7 which is fantastic, he is doing a reading programme with our local library over summer and we will be encoureing him to read , write and spell and do some maths work to keep him active over the holidays, I was devastated but moving schools has been the best thing for him
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2009 at 10:00pm
Janine, the books you mentioned (wild daisies ones)....what are they like? I am looking for something for Tom. I know he is only 2yr4months but he is OBSESSED with language. He asks me to write words down for him all the time and today I put a sentance together "the cat and the dog love Tom and James" and he read it! Little bugger also knows "which letters you need to make Tom, James or Daddy". So I really want to help him with this. I am looking for some really basic books that he can learn to read from.

he loves books....really loves them...and currently memorises all his books and sits there "reading" them to James...so cute.

Do you think those books would be appropriate?
lemongirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lemongirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2009 at 8:58am
The school report we have for DP's daughter was really clear.

Each learning area started with statement about whether she was above, at or below the level for her age group. Somethings she had improved on and some areas to improve on.

I think it depends on the teacher and school but if you have trouble with the report, then talk to the theacher.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>