FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhat do you do

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2010 at 10:50pm
I'm a food scientist / food tech too! I was earning over 65K doing product development work and loved it. I did some contract work after Jake and before Morgan and got alot more money for less hours, which was nice. Very interesting work, always different and challenging ... and who wouldn't want to eat for a living! haha. There are some boring / repetative bits like lab work ... but then more exciting bits like working on artwork and seeing your new product hit the supermarket shelves.

DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
Sponsored Links

pepsi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2010 at 11:09pm
My last job before resigning to be a full time mum was as an IT Manager, and I have worked as a network engineer for the last 10 or so years.. The plan was for me to have a few years off work altogether, but it turns out I'm now working from home doing various software support and web jobs. That kind of happened by accident since starting my own website, but the money is most welcome :)
caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 2:56am
I was a dental assistant .
It was interesting .
There are some disgusting teeth out there, i've seen them .

jano1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jano1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 8:41am
Raspberry jam- I work in the field you seem interested in- I'm in environmental policy in a council.

Qualifications- I did a Science degree, then my masters and got a job straight away. I was working in a different part of council , the a job was advertised internally which I got.

Councils are good to work for- very family friendly and pay well. Downsides- lots of beaurocracy (and I mean lots).

If you want any more info on what kind of work I do, feel free to PM me- I don't want to go into too much detail on a public forum as you never know who might read this
Raspberryjam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 8:53am
Jano1 - thanks so much thats awesome! Will do that , when my ratbag sleeps today - Im good with beaurocracy - have worked for a global organisation before which was well wrapped in red tape!

Thanks so much for your reply - chat soon!
http://lilypie.com]
minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 9:22am
I was a legal executive...dealt with house sales/purchases/refinances plus all the associated work that goes with it and being the only support person in the office - estate planning, commercial stuff, court work (civil cases)....money wasn't great ($40k) but I absolutely loved it. I have a legal exec certificate. I also have a Diploma in Conveyancing which I studied for last year, but haven't put it to good use yet. I also spent the 18 months before the girls were born as a Sales Support Officer for an insurance company. Not great pay at all, and I got over the political stuff real quick.

Now though, I'm a mum, student and part-time Warehouse worker....so definitely nowhere near $65k!!! In saying that, I enjoy it so it's worth it. I'm studying for a BBS majoring in Valuation and Property Management....property is where my love is, and so I'm learning as much as I can about it all.
kellie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 9:32am
I work in I.T doing network and technical support for companies. The last few years before having bubs I was a network administrator for a very large company.
Salary ranged from 65k-95k, depending on the company. Also I tended to get more when I would contract, but then you miss out on all the salary perks.

Now I work part time at a computer repairs company nearby.   Also people in my neighbourhood know that I fix computers so will often bring theirs around etc

Edited by kellie

caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 10:13am

Originally posted by caitlynsmygirl caitlynsmygirl wrote:

It was interesting .

ewww yuck  that is one job I couldn't stand doing - bad teeth and smelly breath.. yuck
Are you going back to it?

lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 10:30am
Originally posted by kellie kellie wrote:

I work in I.T doing network and technical support for companies. The last few years before having bubs I was a network administrator for a very large company.
Salary ranged from 65k-95k, depending on the company. Also I tended to get more when I would contract, but then you miss out on all the salary perks.

Now I work part time at a computer repairs company nearby.   Also people in my neighbourhood know that I fix computers so will often bring theirs around etc

That doesnt seem alot, is that outside a main centre?
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 10:55am
Originally posted by caliandjack caliandjack wrote:

Originally posted by caitlynsmygirl caitlynsmygirl wrote:

It was interesting .

ewww yuck  that is one job I couldn't stand doing - bad teeth and smelly breath.. yuck
Are you going back to it?

haha, there were definetly some "double maskers " (where you had to wear two face masks cos the breath smelt so bad )
but it was a pretty easy job once you did it a while , I could do it with my eyes closed, some days when I was hungover ...I did !
"sorry sir , didn't mean to put that suction up your nose ! "

Not sure if I will go back , DH doesn't want me to go back till our next baby is at school ,and then only part time, but if need be I can easily go back part time , I don't mind

kellie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 11:02am
Originally posted by lilfatty lilfatty wrote:

I thought it was pretty good for a 22 year old When I say ranged, I mean started on 65k at 18 in my first job and last job was roughly 95k

Edited by kellie

xLUCKYx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xLUCKYx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 11:23am
Im a personal assistant - in a very cruisy role at the mo and only working part-time but the pay is good.

I would like to upskill though and get into office management or HR - but I don't have the time to study at the moment - maybe in a year or three
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 11:36am

I thought it was pretty good for a 22 year old When I say ranged, I mean started on 65k at 18 in my first job and last job was roughly 95k

I dont think it matters how old you are .. its the job itself (well it is in our company)
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
kellie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 11:50am

I dont think it matters how old you are .. its the job itself (well it is in our company)

Hmm, well I thought it was pretty good. It came with alot of perks, and friends of mine in the same sort of job were on similar pay packets.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 11:56am
Id be pretty happy with 95K , good on you Kel !

Raspberryjam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 12:22pm
$95 is awesome!! Id be stoked with that at any age but yeah great for being quite young!!

I think alot of corporate companies put much emphasis on age, work and life experience and all that. Which I can understand having worked with some young people with no idea!! in saying that, I have also worked with some fancy execs who need to grow up ALOT!
ooEvaoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ooEvaoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 12:40pm
Kellie I think that is MINT!!!!...How many 18 year olds do you see getting $65K a year...and $95K!!...frikken heck I'd be over the moon!....as you can tell from my enthusiasm lolz. Sheesh DP should soo get into IT.

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 12:58pm
Yep I would be stoked with $95K as well.

Maybe I should switch to I.T, what qualifications do you have Kellie?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 1:28pm
Are you 22 now Kel ?
hmm, that means, in a few years, you will probably be on even more ....

Do you want to marry me and support me financially ?

kellie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 1:33pm
Haha yea it was pretty great at the time. I just wish I had been more sensible with my money.

Cuppatea I have:
Diploma in Computing
A+ Hardware/software
Networking +
Microsoft Certified System Administrator (MCSA)
Microsoft Certified System Engineer (MCSE)
Cisco Certified Network Associate +Security (CCNAs)
Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP)
Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE)

I did some of them while working as one of my employers would pay all course costs

Most of those courses are 20 weeks, part time. Or you can just get all the study material and do it at home.

Edited by kellie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>