FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhat do you do

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 9:11am
I'm quite astounded with the relatively low salary available to people who have masters, post grad degrees and who have also had years in their field

Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
Sponsored Links

caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 9:17am

Originally posted by Lexiesmumma Lexiesmumma wrote:

Wow, DP Earns 37k a year (roughly) at the moment! And I will be on maybe 9k when I go back part-time. Though DP has just graduated so will start job hunting soon, waiting to see there may be some jobs come up at his work. I'm planning to start studying HR next year, does anyone do this what are the salary potentials in HR? I have retail management experience if that helps at all (probably doesn't) Sorry not meaning to TJ either!

Hi Lexies, friend of mine retrained in HR after working as a legal secretary, its been 4 years since she graduated and she's now in Oz earning 80k as an HR Manager seconded, she works hard for it though, regular 12-14 hour days. She loves it, where she is now is only her 3rd position since graduating she was on 50k plus with Hutt City Council prior to going to oz. HR is always a growth field.
Your experience in retail management will certainly help. 

Raspberry Jam have you looked at doing your core papers via Massey extramural, I'm studying Environmental Health via Massey and the 1st year paper are pretty standard.  

minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 9:22am
Man...if I had opted to be an Insurance Underwriter, even here in New Plymouth, I would be looking at $70-90k plus.

Emz - my sister is 27 and earns $90k as a Financial Controller in Aus. Her DP is a welder, and is on around $30ph+ in Aus also. When she was in NZ a couple of years ago (they moved over when she was maybe 24??), she was on over $80K as an accountant, in Christchurch.

DH is a digger operator, on not great wages ($15.50ph) while I get a huge amount of just over minimum wage working at the Warehouse part-time. We definitely earn less than $60K, probably around $47K all up for both of us??
freckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 9:23am
yeah LF not sure about other careers but there isn't a lot of financial incentive in working in my job or doing postgrad study towards it (I earnt an extra 2k for masters LOL). However, working privately (rather than for the govt) I could have earnt more... I use to be a graphic artist and had a much greater earning potential, but find my current work much more rewarding.. just not financially I'm also doing a PhD so will eventually be able to earn more I'm hoping !!
mum to 3 lovely girls :D
clover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 9:33am
Wow what a varied bunch we are. I'm an Office Manager for a financial services company and get around $65k, I could get a better job and get paid more if I acutally had the motivation to look and go through the recruitment process...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 9:35am

Kate everyone I know in Aus is earning more than they did here.

LF you'd hate living down here, Manawatu has the lowest salaries in the North Island, but then our mortgage is only $500 a fortnight, and a tank of petrol lasts a fortnight.

minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 9:45am
Originally posted by caliandjack caliandjack wrote:

Kate everyone I know in Aus is earning more than they did here.

True, but she's not on much more there, then what she was on down in Christchurch.
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 10:00am
Wow Kate, I don't think I'll tell my friend that, she's an accountant (has been for years) and isn't on anywhere near that

LF it really depends what field you get into I guess. For me, I'd rather be on a 'low' wage and have better work hours/more holidays with a family than work as much as some of my friends who are on higher salaries do.

I think at the end of the day, it really is best to do what you WANT to do, rather than follow money (within reason of course, the mortgage still has to be paid!). But you work for so long, you should be happy in it. If you get a good paypacket, that's a bonus IMO
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 10:00am
I understand about the smaller towns having lower salaries than a "city" but Wellington and Christchurch I thought would have been on par with Auckland, in fact Wellington has the highest median income in the country.

I was offered a job in Chch (head hunted) and the salary was actually higher than what I am on now as an incentive so above $90k which for what I do is pretty good money, but its cold down there .. I probably would have spent the extra dosh on keeping warm.

freckle - I totally get working for the love, im just one of those few people who actually loves their job and it pays well enough to support my family (although I obviously dont have the disposable income we had as a two income family).

IVFGirl1111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IVFGirl1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 10:22am
Originally posted by emz emz wrote:

There's no way in hell many people in their mid 20's to mid 30's would get paid over 50k down here. My mums been working in the same law firm for 30+ years (is the CEO) and is only on $130k.

Sorry to say Em, but a lot of my friends in their mid 20's are earning $50k+.

They range from lawyer exec, PA, Accountant, Sales Rep, primary teachers, Customer service - thats right a CS member at somewhere where I use to work with is on $55k + incentives shes not the manager or anything!

ETA - We had a party a wee while ago and where playing drinking games and salarys came up - was VERY interesting!

Edited by BooBoo
TTC 6 years
IVF it is
IVF/ICSI round one
10 eggs, 8 mature, 3 fertilised BFN
IVF/ICSI #2 = 22 eggs!
20 mature, 15 fertilised, 1 fresh transfer and 2 frosties
BFN
2 Frosties still in freezer thank god
IVFGirl1111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IVFGirl1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 10:23am
Ooops double post!

Edited by BooBoo
TTC 6 years
IVF it is
IVF/ICSI round one
10 eggs, 8 mature, 3 fertilised BFN
IVF/ICSI #2 = 22 eggs!
20 mature, 15 fertilised, 1 fresh transfer and 2 frosties
BFN
2 Frosties still in freezer thank god
Raspberryjam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 10:32am

[P ALIGN=LEFT
Raspberry Jam have you looked at doing your core papers via Massey extramural, I'm studying Environmental Health via Massey and the 1st year paper are pretty standard.  

I wanted to start a bachelor of environmental management this year, but they arent offering it, I may have to talk to them about their intentions for next year, and the possiblity of doing some papers towards it from another degree course. Im due july so dont want to over commit myself this year either
I will have to get DH to take the tot out for a few hours - a few providers offer similar courses - I need to weigh up what Im most interested in - and what works best for me in regards to internal study next year
http://lilypie.com]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 11:00am

I found on average salaries in Welly for Office Admin/PA work were 45-50k they've actually come down in the last year due to the recession with more people looking than jobs. In the Manawatu the average is 35k sucky cause our living costs certainly aren't 10-15k less a year.

DH is in the military and they pay the same salary for the same job regardless of where in the country it is, hence the reason we don't want to get posted to Akl as his 65k goes a lot further down here.

lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 11:03am

I found on average salaries in Welly for Office Admin/PA work were 45-50k they've actually come down in the last year due to the recession with more people looking than jobs. In the Manawatu the average is 35k sucky cause our living costs certainly aren't 10-15k less a year.

DH is in the military and they pay the same salary for the same job regardless of where in the country it is, hence the reason we don't want to get posted to Akl as his 65k goes a lot further down here.

Wow .. I never really thought about the military, but I supose they would stay the same regardless of where they are in the country, luckily I got DH out of the military, although he did look good in greens!

freckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 11:22am
Originally posted by lilfatty lilfatty wrote:

freckle - I totally get working for the love, im just one of those few people who actually loves their job and it pays well enough to support my family (although I obviously dont have the disposable income we had as a two income family).

the love only goes so far... we need more money now LOL
mum to 3 lovely girls :D
Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 11:34am
Originally posted by emz emz wrote:

Student and now a teacher (well only relieving) and there's not much hope of you earning 65k+ doing that lol

Emz, I am nearly on that now and thats with no units so there def is hope!

I am also in 20-30s and earning over 50 as is DH.

We are both teachers too. DH is in his 3rd year teaching and has 2 units now and earns just over 60K. This is in a state school so not a private contract so Emz you can def get there in teaching.

sally belly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sally belly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 11:44am
We find that the military pays very well . DH gets compensated financially for going away to sea which is great. When we had a mortgage we got paid extra $$ for that. Of course it means he's away sometimes but that's just the way it is for us at the moment.

Greens LF?!! I prefer white

The only reason I went back to uni to do Masters was because I knew the job prospects were good & the salary I could earn pretty good. I wouldn't have bothered otherwise. Simple as that.

Raspberry, I'm pretty sure Massey at Albany do a planning/resource management qual. Might be worth looking into. Not sure of the details

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 12:03pm

Originally posted by sally belly sally belly wrote:

We find that the military pays very well . DH gets compensated financially for going away to sea which is great. When we had a mortgage we got paid extra $$ for that. Of course it means he's away sometimes but that's just the way it is for us at the moment. 

I don't think they are paid that well considering all the extra duties etc they have to do, DH has been in his trade for 10 years now and is only just over 65k incl allowances, I would expect him to be on more than that in civy street.

sally belly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sally belly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 12:07pm
The military definitey isn't for everyone. My DH is in command of a ship & gets paid accordingly - we think anyway

Maybe your DH should look at leaving if the pay is more in the "real world"? Got to take into account their super as well I guess.
Raspberryjam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 12:20pm
[QUOTE=sally belly]

Raspberry, I'm pretty sure Massey at Albany do a planning/resource management qual. Might be worth looking into. Not sure of the details [/QUOTE

They do normally by the looks of their website, but arent offering ot in 2010 - I will give them a call and see what the deal is about next year. Would definately prefer albany to study.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>