FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHeart Children roll call

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 16171819>
Author
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2011 at 9:13pm
Hi Angelina, I'm not sure if it changed as they get older - but I think the risk is probably lower the bigger they get. It has something to do with the time they have to be on bypass too I think. It freaked me out when they told me, so I definitely remember that part of the pre-op talk!
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
Sponsored Links

fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2012 at 11:17pm
There is always a risk - it's present for oldies who have bypass as well. One reason I'm glad we avoided bypass last time - won't be so lucky next time. I guess I look at it thinking "what's the choice" but it's still not nice to have to think about.
Mum to two wee boys
Raspberryjam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2012 at 12:03pm
The risk is higher for neonates on bypass, I remember that chat. Milla had streaking in her brain tissue - likely as a result of bypass, but it has had no effect on her development - which is the common outcome.
http://lilypie.com]
ma11man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ma11man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2012 at 11:41am
Hi There

I am new to this forum. My daughter Isla was born at 32 weeks( semi planned C Section) She has a heart condition called Left Atrial Isomerism and Hetrotaxy. She has a permanent pacemaker and has had 2 open heart surgerys.
She spent her first 4 months in Intensive Care at Starship. She is now 14 months. She was 02 dependant until 3 weeks ago where we have been liberated from the tubes!!!!

She is tube fed using a Mickey button. I am keen to information share with anyone else having oral adversion issues. Also keen for extra help with her feeding. We are under Waitakere DHB but feel we may need some extra help but am not sure where to start

Kind Regards

Kylie
aims_one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aims_one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2012 at 2:27pm
Hi there. Haven't used this forum before but was searching for some answers and came across it. What a great idea! My daughter was born in January and was diagnosed with pulmonary stenosis at 9 days old. She underwent a catheter balloon procedure the following day to stretch it but they couldn't get it to normal size so we're waiting for them to try again in the coming months when she's bigger. She has regular checkups at Starship but at the last one it seems they didn't get a very good ECHO so next time they want to sedate her. She'll be 3 months old. I'm worried about having to sedate her and the effects, let alone not being able to eat beforehand - her appointment is mid-morning. Can anyone provide any insight? Last time we had a trainee doing the ECHO which we found frustrating as it seemed to take longer then previous ones - we had thought our daughter did really well at being still given all the mucking around that went on, let alone the 40min wait to be seen after seeing the nurse. How can they expect such young babies to stay awake for such a long time?! Any helpful hints would be much appreciated!
Limochick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Limochick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2012 at 2:48pm
ma11man and guest I am so sorry to hear that your children also have heart conditions!!

ma11man it sounds like you have had a rough ride!! I have not had to go down the mickey button route but I know others that have. I'm sorry I can't be more help

Guest my youngest boy who has a heart condition is always sedated for his echo's it just means that they can get good pictures without the kids getting frustrated. It is only a short sedation not like a general or anything. They are still semi with it, the best way to describe it is that they are having a deep sleep.

aims_one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aims_one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2012 at 3:02pm
I hadn't realised what my username was! Shame I can't change it. Anyway, thanks for your reply. At first I was ok with the thought - after all, you have to trust the docs etc are giving the best advice - but part of me wonders if sedation is necessary. Am I just letting them put drugs into her little body unnecessarily? As her parent, shouldn't I be trying everything else first? We really believe the biggest cause of her moving during the ECHO was that it took so long as the guy took ages to get started and then seemed unsure of what he was doing and how to handle a baby. We then had to wait for someone else to come in and check what he'd done. It just seemed unreasonable. We also had a long wait as the nurse never seems to be able to get a blood pressure reading (first appointment she just gave up. - the cardiologist did it in a matter of seconds tho, and second appointment she got 3 different readings and then just used the one closest to her records) - so she'd been awake for well over an hour before we even started the ECHO (her awake time is usually 45mins or so). Are there any alternatives to the sedatives? And what are the chances they'd maybe do the ECHO when we first arrive - and other tests afterwards. Any ideas on how to keep a young baby still (she won't take a dummy). Perhaps feeding from a bottle?
Amy
aims_one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aims_one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2012 at 3:07pm
Btw, please don't get me wrong about sedation. I'm not against it, I just want to know all the options. Because she's so young, I imagine she'll be super-stressed out in the hours before since she won't be able to feed - which in turn will be hard on her parents! She would usually feed every couple of hours at that time of day so I can't help but wonder if holding her off for sedation would be more traumatising for her than being held on the bed...
Amy
WEB111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEB111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2012 at 3:50pm
My daughter had a sedated echo in January, she was 8.5 months. It was fine I just wrapped her up and she went off to sleep then they did the echo she woke towards the end and tried to 'help' lol by grabbing the wand. She wasn't groggy or out to it though but I think some kids can be grumpy after it. Her appointment was 8:45 so not too long to wait for food. They tried to do an echo at our local hospital when she was about 4 months and it was so hard she screamed and wriggled which made it much more difficult to get good pictures.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2012 at 3:09pm
Well to be honest in the scheme of things a little sedation to get good pics of the defect is not too much to ask when it gives the docs a better idea of how to fix her. Long term its probably better than having to go back over and over to get a better picture.
Like the others have said its more of a deep slepp, not that different to the one they give for catheter from what I recall
aims_one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aims_one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2012 at 10:06pm
Thanks everyone for your replies. Had the ECHO last week and the sedation was a breeze! She didn't even grizzle at not having her usual feeds! She did wake up cranky - as though she was really tired - and i had to breastfeed her while they finished the ECHO and ECG, but went back to sleep about 30 mins later for a few hours, and continued to be quite sleepy over the next day or so but otherwise was all good. Based on the results, they've booked her in for another operation next week - so I guess I'm pleased I know they got good images and could make an nformed decision,
Thanks again.
Amy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2012 at 7:15pm
Best of luck aims one xx
Limochick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Limochick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2012 at 7:34pm
Good luck Aims one

Check out your new ticker RJ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2012 at 3:37pm
lol you ;)
aims_one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aims_one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2012 at 6:53pm
Hi again. Just wondering if anyone has experience with travelling internationally with children with heart conditions. Does anyone know of an insurance company that covers pre-existing heart conditions? And if travelling to Aus, are they covered under their public system anyway if we're Kiwi citizens? There's a good chance we'll need to travel in the future so just trying to get some info.
Thanks
Amy
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 9:58pm
Hi aims_one .... our heart bubba (hes almost 5) has been to Fiji, Vanuatu, Oz, Thailand twice and Malaysia. We just got normal travel insurance so he would not have been covered for pre-existing conditions - but as he is on 2 yearly checks now I would assume he would not go downhill so quickly that we had to take him to hospital overseas - so absolute worst case we would have to take a flight home early, and we were willing to take that risk, as its incredibly unlikely. Your child's condition may be different though - so maybe ask your cardiologist for advice?

We did not want to stop our lives or stop him from experiencing travel due to his condition as he is technically "repaired" apart from a small chance of future valve surgery.

I can't help with your other questions sorry. Hopefully someone else knows more??
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 10:03pm
Oh hi again - I just re-read above - how did her op go?
hope it went well. I guess with her condition you would need to talk to your cardio, as its completely different to our situation.
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
aims_one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aims_one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 10:19pm
Thanks Nikki. The op went well in that they successfully stretched the valve again and got good readings, but it threw up a couple of other issues which need to be kept an eye on and, in the words of the cardiologist who did the op, she has a 'horrible' valve which he believes will have to be repaired at some stage in the near future. ECHO in a week's time should tell us whether that's the next step or whether we can hold off a few months.
I had heard that some insurers will cover a person for everything except their heart where it's a pre-existing condition, but that other insurers simply won't insure them at all. We don't have plans to travel in the immediate future but were thinking of a trip to Fiji in a year or so maybe, and have family in Aus that may influence some travel too. I'm just trying to get some info now while I'm not under any pressure. Although there's a low risk of her needing any urgent care, there are still some issues which could be a risk requiring intervention and so I think we'd need to be covered. Good idea about asking the cardiologist as surely they've got some knowledge. Will make enquiries when we're back at Starship next week.
Amy
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 8:46pm
The travel insurance we got included anything other than pre-existing conditions. But yeah, the cardiologist should give you a better idea and hopefully put your mind at ease.
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
dear_albie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dear_albie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2012 at 2:41pm
Hi there NZ Heart Mamas

STOKED to find this group - have found quite a few heart mums groups on Facebook, but they all seem to be based in the States. Its nice to have a group who know all about Starship, PICU and the joys of 23B!
Albie is 16 months and has TGA, PS, SPS and a VSD. He had a BT shunt placed last April and is due for a Rastelli operation the week after next. Its open heart. Gulp.
Is there anyone here who has had a kid have a Rastelli or knows of anyone? I have found one family in Hamilton and its so nice to know what their experience was. I know everyone is different, but still nice to know others have tread our path before us.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 16171819>