FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHow often do you shop?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How often do you shop?
    Posted: 24 September 2010 at 9:38am

We always buy groceries fortnightly and I have heard from several sources that if you want to reduce spending on groceries you should shop infrequently but I'm not sure that's working for us because we always head back for more fresh fruit and veges or various other things by the end of the first week and end up spending a small fortune whenever we run into the supermarket for one or two things.

I'm thinking of trying to 1/2 my fortnightly shopping budget and shop weekly instead so that if we decide we want/need something there's not so long to wait for it and hopefully we'll avoid mini splurges.

Sponsored Links

caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 10:00am

I shop fortnightly to coincide with payday. I havn't run out of anything and always make sure there are some vege in the freezer jic the fresh stuff has gone off within that time.

When we move and I go on maternity leave we will continue to shop fortnightly for our main supermarket shop, however I will be buying fruit and vege from the dozens of fruit and vege suppliers only metres from where we'll be living. They're a lot cheaper than the supermarket and in walking distance - I'm thinking the savings on gas will afford me to shop for fresh fruit and vege more frequently.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 10:55am
We do a bigger shop every fortnight and a smaller shop on the alternative weeks. We always have the same budget so whatever is left over from the bigger shop is what we get to spend the following week which mostly goes on things that dont keep for a fortnight (milk, fruit etc)
happymumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 11:41am

I went through a stage of being quite organised but I'm getting a bit out of hand again so might try doing a shop for fresh things weekly and canned / toiletries / cleaning stuff monthly.

Instead of menu planning I'm trying having a list of the meals I tend to have ingredients on hand for on the pantry door.  That way if I run out of steam I can just look at the list and choose something from that. - I'm hoping that it might stop random trips to the supermarket too!

Aprilfools View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aprilfools Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 11:54am
We do the supermarket shop and butcher shop once a month and DH grabs fruit and vegetables as we need them. He works by a veg shop so it's nice and easy for him to just pop in and grab what I need for lunch and dinner for the next day.

blossombaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blossombaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 6:21pm
we have just changed from shoping weekly to 2 smaller shops twice a week we were throwing out far to much stuff it seems to be working. and i go to the butcher locally for meat weekly .. usally get 5 different ones as we have takeaways or go out or something simple the otehr 2 nights. not sure if butcher works out cheaper but its better as you can get smaller cuts of meat.
peachy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 6:55pm
We do a big shop once a month at the supermarket and butchers and once a week I pop into the green grocers for fruit, vege, milk and bread. I also buy the meat in big packs and break it down into meal sized portions so we don't over eat.

The reason I shop this way is because I hate food shopping with a passion!
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 7:31pm
We shop weekly (on a Tuesday) for everything... and usually spend no more than $200 for the 5 of us.

Normally on a Sunday I'll have to grab another loaf of bread and milk..

Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by peachy peachy wrote:

We do a big shop once a month at the supermarket and butchers and once a week I pop into the green grocers for fruit, vege, milk and bread. I also buy the meat in big packs and break it down into meal sized portions so we don't over eat.

I could have written this post, we are same here. I think shopping monthly is actually cheaper for us. There is less chance for impulse shopping. I plan a month's worth of dinners, lunches, backing etc and only buy the things I need, I no longer have cans of food sitting in the pantry for months on end.
I buy from the local butcher and he is more expensive than the supermarket/Mad Butcher specials but I can get the exactly quantities I want and the quality is much better, mince is just meat rather than full of water and fat. I tend to use smaller quantities per meal as it is better quality

Due to my dislike for supermarket shoppping and my desire to reduce my bill even further I am actually investigating bulk buying for a 6mth period with the help of Babe's blog
Lindsey

SMoody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2010 at 8:56am
We do a big shop twice a month. Then every 3 days we buy fresh fruit and veg. We never really go over our food budget limit as such.

But I must say if I quickly go into a shop for one or two things I never seem to leave with just that and before you know it, it is an extra $81 worth of stuff that you wonder where and what did you actually get.

So now I just buy another one of longlife milk to have in the house so if Grant and McKayla runs out of milk then there is that and I dont have to quickly go in.

I do combination shopping. So sometimes I buy a whole lamb cut up the way that we want. Buy free range chickens when on special (and stock up for 3 or so months worth). Same with all other meat specials.

Busy setting up a garden so we can have our organic produce right here. (garden will be eventually about 40 square metres so pretty big)

We have mesclun in the ground that we can start picking in the next two weeks.

What is difficult is as really thinking of moving completely or as much as we can go to the organic side. But to buy local stuff not brought in from overseas.

Our budget for food is $1000 a month. But in saying that it includes everything. Nappies, birthday gifts, toys if I want to buy through the month. And I normally just take $200 and put in another account. According to my spreadsheet we spent between $500 and 800 at the moment with an average of 734 for the last 12 months. (including all the take aways or food bought while out)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2010 at 9:48am
I must be weird then cause I love food shopping.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
peachy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2010 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by Linzy Linzy wrote:

Originally posted by peachy peachy wrote:

I could have written this post, we are same here. I think shopping monthly is actually cheaper for us. There is less chance for impulse shopping. I plan a month's worth of dinners, lunches, backing etc and only buy the things I need, I no longer have cans of food sitting in the pantry for months on end.
I buy from the local butcher and he is more expensive than the supermarket/Mad Butcher specials but I can get the exactly quantities I want and the quality is much better, mince is just meat rather than full of water and fat. I tend to use smaller quantities per meal as it is better quality

Due to my dislike for supermarket shoppping and my desire to reduce my bill even further I am actually investigating bulk buying for a 6mth period with the help of Babe's blog

I so hear you on the mince front! Mince from our local butcher is delicious and I only use half what I would if I bought it from the supermarket!

I also think we spend less shopping monthly. As we get towards shopping time I have to get really creative with meals though!
myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2010 at 9:07pm
Peachy I am not too bad close to shopping time as I usually have enough for dinners. But I am due to shop next weekend and DH has been grumbling for the last few days that the pantry is enpty and when am I going shopping again *sigh* There is food there, HE just needs to be more creative!
Lindsey

blossombaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blossombaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2010 at 9:39pm
im with you calijack i love the supermarket too!
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2010 at 9:54am
Originally posted by Linzy Linzy wrote:

Peachy I am not too bad close to shopping time as I usually have enough for dinners. But I am due to shop next weekend and DH has been grumbling for the last few days that the pantry is enpty and when am I going shopping again *sigh* There is food there, HE just needs to be more creative!

my husband is the same - we have no food! But if you look there is heaps!

i struggle with this as hubby gets paid monthly - i tried the montly shop but would run out of some things but have too much of others... am trying fortnightly now.

But i also dont have a food budget!

clover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2010 at 10:40am
Originally posted by caliandjack caliandjack wrote:

I must be weird then cause I love food shopping.

me too, but I love food and cooking so maybe that is the difference?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2010 at 10:58am

I belong to the Nigella Lawson school of cooking and food appreciation.
As she says 'I like to eat therefore I cook' .

[/url]

Angel June 2012
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2010 at 10:59am

We shop on a Tuesday but I can go to the supermarket at any time to get things we have forgotten.

We tend to spend about $150-$180 a week on food.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
monkey33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkey33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 9:14pm
I used to shop weekly but have moved to fortnightly and we are now sticking to our budget of only $280 per fortnight (inc nappies & 1 tin of formula). We don't have space in our freezer for a monthly shop or my car to bring it home in! The buggy takes up the entire boot so I only have half of the back and the front seat! (I have a tiny car!).
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2010 at 7:05am

My first 2 weekly shops went really well.  In fact I came in 10% under budget this week despite the GST price rise (and some price rises that are far too high be GST related) and I haven't had to throw out any perishables so I'm pretty pleased with myself.

I used to love shopping too and I still like seeing what's new at the supermarket but I must admit having 2 kids with me makes it less relaxed than it used to be.  I still love cooking though.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>