FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHigh HCG Levels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mel&Kel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mel&Kel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: High HCG Levels
    Posted: 17 October 2010 at 5:06pm
I had my 12 week scan and bloods also taken. My MW rang me up to say the scan was fine but that I had really high HCG levels and now have to go to the hospital next week and have to be monitored regularly.

She was saying it could result in a low birth weight for the baby and can also lead to me getting preeclampsia.

I can't really find anything on the net about this and was wondering if anyone else has had something similar?
Mummy to Eva born 11 Feburary 2009 and Charlotte born 18 April 2011
Sponsored Links

freckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2010 at 7:03pm
My 12 week blood tests showed Hcg levels just over double what they usually are, and PAPP-A at a third of what they typically are. The main concern that came up from my blood results was an increased risk of Down's, so I had an amnio but all was fine. I understood that low papp-a can also lead to premature birth, low birth weight and a few other probs but that is only concern when it's really low. The research on hcg from what I could see was much more inconclusive, and high hcg can result from vanishing twin or from having a large placenta which produces more hcg... nothing I found was too alarming...
mum to 3 lovely girls :D
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2010 at 2:00pm
how bizarre..i did not know that though i didnt have the bloods done.. i had super high hcgs levels from the start though both times and got pre PE first time and no issues the second..both kids were good weight 7pd 3 at 38 and 8 pd 9 at almost 39..
Mum to two amazing boys!
Mel&Kel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mel&Kel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2010 at 4:43pm
My tests came up low for downs, they think it might be a large placenta which could result in low birth weight or PE.

I didn't know about the blood test either as I didn't have it with my daughter, MW said it was fairly new that they do the blood test to get a more accurate answer on the nucal scan.

ElfsMum how many weeks were you when you got PE with your first and did you have to go on bed rest and be induced?
freckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2010 at 5:21pm
Elfsmum I don't think the early Hcg results are that reflective of what they will be at 12 weeks cos that's when they should have started leveling /reducing... Also the early results aren't expressed as mulitiples of the mean (or MoM values) which take into consideration weight, ethnicity, fetus age etc... so even if they appeared high early on they may still have been within normal range IYGWIM... whereas at the 12 week BTs they attempt to control for these factors using the MoM values...

Mel&Kel - I wasn't very clear sorry - my DS risk was actually considered low as well when considered with my NT scan and age... however, very high Hcg (usually 5 times the MoM or more) can be indicative of DS (esp with a low papp-a which you obviously don't have), and because my results weren't as low risk as I would have liked I had the amnio .. I really don't think you have anything too much to worry about! the research I read doesn't sound that concerning or conclusive... Just try to keep healthy and reduce your risk of PE that way
Mel&Kel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mel&Kel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2010 at 7:00pm
My midwife didn't say anything about having a low papp-a so yeah hopefully that isn't a worry.

Being healthy isn't too hard at the moment, nothing is appealing apart from juice and fruit and I am still spewing almost daily and feeling crap. Did you have bad MS with your high HCG levels?

I can't get over how different this pregnancy has been compared to my last pregnancy.
freckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2010 at 7:14pm
She surely would have said if ya papp-a was low as it seems that is more concerning than high HCG from what Ive read so I wouldn't worry about that... yeah the MS sucks eh!! I have been really sick too, and have only really started to come right now... haven't thrown up for 3 days ... I found fruit great too! esp watermelon and pineapple.
Mel&Kel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mel&Kel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2010 at 7:20pm
Hopefully at least that means I will come right but not sure how I feel about waiting till 22 weeks to come right
Mel&Kel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mel&Kel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2010 at 1:11pm
I went to the hospital on Tuesday and they aren't concerned about DS cause of my high PAPP-A levels and are just monitoring me as everything looks fine so far and because my last pregnancy was fine and I didn't get PE so the risk of getting this time isn't too high.

My HCG levels were 6.62 MoM
My PAPP-A levels were 3.85 MoM

I can't find that the normal range is for these so no idea how high they actually are.
freckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2010 at 9:01pm
That sounds like good news!!

the average is 1 MoM (which means multiple of the mean) - so your Hcg is 6 times more than average and your PAPP-a is nearly 4 times more than average. Are you a little person?
DivyaMohan230507 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DivyaMohan230507 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2018 at 3:41am
Hi Mel&Kel,

Actually high hcg mom and high pappa mom indicate girl baby know...

Yours is very much high, did you had a boy baby ?

My levels are :

PAPP-A ; 14.7mIU/ml 3.19 mom
hCG ; 48.6ng/ml 1.17 mom
NT ; 2.0mm 1.13mom
CRL 71 mm
heart beat 175
 Post Reply Post Reply