FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedKids activities

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kids activities
    Posted: 03 December 2010 at 9:02pm
How does everyone cope with paying for kids activities on a budget/one income? Do you let/take your kids to regular activities?

I have been thinking about it as we take the boys to swimming lessons, their only paid activities apart from Playcentre and Kindy. But it costs us $904 a year!! for them to both do swimming. I am wondering if we should pull them out, or only take Jack who is now in the pool on his own (i.e. not with us but with the teacher) and learning to float. I want them to be able to float etc and be confident in the water, but it is a huge cost.

What would you do? I am yet to discuss it with DH
Lindsey

Sponsored Links

MuppetsMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MuppetsMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2010 at 6:31am
I've heard from a lot of people - including some who gave their kids lessons young - that it's not worth doing swimming lessons under the age of 3, or 5, depending on who you talk to! But I'm sure there are lots of others that would disagree......

We are on one income. and an outing of any kind where we have to pay to go is a treat. We look for specials and vouchers, and I'm going to get the entertainment book next year, now that we have 2 kiddies. and they will be at the age where they can both enjoy it to some degree.
myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2010 at 8:27am
Yeah Jack (3.5y) is benefiting quite well especially due to his cautious nature. But I do wonder if Ben (1.5y) is getting much benefit

Yeah paid outings are a treat for us as well and very rare. The only activites we regularly pay for are swimming
Lindsey

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2010 at 1:33pm
Daniel use to be in swimming lessons but isn't anymore. I'm gonna put him back in next year sometime. But that would be are only paid activity because theres so many things that I can do around home which is fun like I have a clam shell on the deck. I put some dishwashing liquid in (ecostore stuff) and put the hose on it and make a "bubble pit" and he has a ball for hours. I'd rather do that kinda thing than pay for activities
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2010 at 8:53am
i would maybe just put the one child into paid swimming and you could always just spend time in the kids pool area with the other one so he doesnt lose his water confidence.

When the kids were little - under 5 - i paid for playgroup and mainly music and it wasnt till they turned five that i put them into soccer. And i have thought long and hard about joining them in athletics or some other summer activity because of how much it will cost.
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2010 at 7:23am
The IL's have paid for swimming lessons for the my 3 boys as a xmas present so all up over $400. I am not going to carry it on at this stage but will see how they go with it (doing it in Jan). DS1 has a teacher at school that does extra swimming lessons at lunch time so will see if he can do it again next yr & that's free. Will reassess them next yr to see if we need to do more...hope not

We are putting them into athletics next yr & maybe running but thats it.

Was going to put them into soccer but they now like rugby. DS3 wanted to go to a music class for $50 to see if he wanted to play something but changed his mine just before.

We will pick the activities we think will benefit the kids but only a couple.
 Post Reply Post Reply