FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWeight Loss for IVF

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Author
Orca1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orca1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2011 at 5:11pm
Thanks Tischler. You have done so well, I would be interested to hear what you have been doing to get such great results!   Your recent purchase sounds very nice.

DH and I had our first weigh in yesterday and did terribly!! I lost 300g and he lost 400g.   I tried to console myself by saying at least its a loss but its is pretty slack and he beat me which was annoying!!!

Anyway back on track now. Went to my FS yesterday and we are going to do a cycle of IVF and will have genetic testing done on any embroys to make sure that the "fittest" are chosen to be implanted. I have a lot reading to do but I feel the most positive I have in a long time!
DD born 2008
Oct 2009, April 2010, Dec 2010, June 2011
7 x IVF/ICSI/PGD = BFN
Sponsored Links

tischler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tischler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2011 at 7:17pm
That's great Orca - the genetic testing sounds interesting, might run that past my FS tomorrow!

My DH always beats me with weight loss - you really can't compare with them as it's a known fact that men lose weight easier than women! I have PCOS so that makes it even more of a mission to beat him.

I have been lucky to have a GP with a good handle on PCOS. She has quickly put me on medications to manage my weight - metformin and spironolactone which has helped me immensely. In addition to this, I have tried to eat low GI (as close to the source as possible and eliminating processed foods) and have been regularly exercising. I did enjoy dark chocolate.

I really found doing that beneficial and I felt so much better, hence I am going to get back on the band wagon again very soon, as I know if I feel better I'll find the motivation to get back to the gym!!!

Remember though - any weight loss is a good loss, and a steady way to lose weight (to keep it off) is apparently between 300-500g - so bang on the mark!!!
5 IVF/ICSI Cycles - 10 embryo's, 8 transfers, all BFN's.
Our journey to parenthood is over, and we join the unfortunate many for whom IVF does not work.
MaeBeeBaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaeBeeBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2011 at 4:18pm
Hi everyone, I haven't posted for ages so thought I would let you know where I am at with my weight-loss journey.

I started the new WW Pro-points plan and it was not for me. I was sticking to the points religiously, keeping a food diary, and gaining weight, around 300 grams a week. After 3 weeks I rung WW cause my leader was less than supportive due to having 3 meetings integrate into 1 after the quake in February, I think she was majorly overpopulated LOL. Anyway, WW and I had a wee chat, and they told me that I should stop exercising as it was that making me gain weight - WTF! I had eaten all the exercise points they had recommended, and yet the week I didn't I gained 600 gms. Go figure... plus I couldn't stomach any.more.food!

So I went to a dietician and kept a food diary for a week that had me not just keeping what I ate and how much, but when, and any symptoms. Clearly, after looking at this diary, I was gluten-intolerant, dairy-intolerant, and needed to get more protein into my diet. Plus I wasn't eating regularly enough.

I was then put onto a high-protein low-carb, no-sugar, no-gluten, no-dairy diet for 30 days (a really good book to read to back this up is 'Accidentally Overweight' by Dr Libby Weaver). My system was cleared of gluten, dairy, and sugar, and I felt so much better. I increased my 3 RPM classes to 5 a week, added in 2 personal training sessions, and would you believe that I have been doing this since April and have only lost a mere 6kgs? BUT I have gone down 2 sizes in clothing, now in size 16 jeans and 'Large' tops instead of XXL, and look like I have lost about 20kgs LOL! I was measuring myself daily for the 30 day detox and I lost 10cms off most parts of my body - mostly being waist/thighs/chest. Hips only lost 2cms but they are beginning to subside now.

So instead of beating yourself up over losing weight and spending money funding WW and any other diet fad, go to a nutritionist/dietician and see what they have to say. It has saved me a lot of money, I have spent a total of $160 with just 4 appointments, 2 weeks apart, and have been 'solo flight' now for 2 months, and still going strong.

I have been using the gym as an 'outlet' for any stresses and worries and it has worked amazingly. I eat pretty much whatever I want as long as it's sugarless (I check the labels even on tomato pasta sauces!), low carb, and high protein, plus I eat no less than every 3 hours, even if it's just a handful of nuts. I eat a whole food diet, no processed foods, and pretty much just meat/fish/veges/salad/nuts. I don't count calories and I don't count Points!

The biggest tip I can give you - it only works if you stick to it .
tischler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tischler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2011 at 4:32pm
Hi maebeebaby - fantastic news! That's awesome to hear of your dress-size 'downgrade'. I also agree the whole food thing is great, and I'd been doing so well with that and weight loss/changing clothes size. At the mo though I've lost my 'mojo' and am trying to get it back. The snow doesn't help though!!!! Surprised at WW comments to you though - I mean to say ......

5 IVF/ICSI Cycles - 10 embryo's, 8 transfers, all BFN's.
Our journey to parenthood is over, and we join the unfortunate many for whom IVF does not work.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaeBeeBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2011 at 6:33pm
woops posted in wrong thread

Edited by MaeBeeBaby
MAC35 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAC35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2011 at 10:11am
Okay so I am feeling pretty rotten at the moment and eating what I want when I want it to stuff down the pain of our 2nd IVF cycle being over with no result. I have gained 7 kgs since February and in total I feel I am atleast 15kg overweight!

I hate me and my body and lately it is getting tough to enjoy shopping or going out because my Belly is bigger than it ever been before and I am not pregnant Damn it! I am embarassed I have got this overweight.

I am planning 3rd cycle for Jan/Feb so that gives me 6 months to shed something that is not helping my pregnancy chances and not helping me as a person.

Tischler we talked about coffee, I am considering going back on it to help with appetite suppression as I am just so hungry these days, its out of your system in 24 hrs and perhaps will stop in Novemeber again??

So that is me, I will put up my Lily Slim so i can be accountable. Tischler and anyone else I will cheerlead you once more, I was on this page a while back but whilst doling IVF which I don't think helped.
TTC June 2006
MFI
ME 35 DH 48
IVF #1 Jan 2011 BFN
FET x1 April 2011 BFN
IVF #2 July 2011
IVF #3 Feb EC 2012

MAC35 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAC35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2011 at 10:29am
Maebeebaby - that weight loss is awesome and often the changes in body shape are more than the scales show, so well done.

Tischler - lets get the Mojo going. Found some free exercise workouts - like 20 mins each online for free if you wanna try let me know. Snow and lack of gyms in CHCH are certainly not helping.

Orca a loss is a loss keep up the good work.
TTC June 2006
MFI
ME 35 DH 48
IVF #1 Jan 2011 BFN
FET x1 April 2011 BFN
IVF #2 July 2011
IVF #3 Feb EC 2012

trouble06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trouble06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2011 at 8:49pm
Hey all

Your WW journeys seem to be going well. I have been tracking along have lost another 2 kg so have lost around 8 kg all up - have 10kg to get to goal. I have been following WW propoints but am a bit slack at measuring my food. I try to have good breakfast home made soup for lunch with no bread (homemade vegie or pumpkin soup). My acupuncturist told me I need to eat more protein at lunchtime so have been making pumpkin soup with red lentils in as well. Afternoon I will cut up fruit eg passionfruit, banana, pear or kiwifruit and have low fat low sugar yoghurt with it which will take me through to dinner. I find that yoghurt in afternoon helps with sugar cravings. Now the weather is nicer over here means I can start to go for walks in weekend or after work once daylight savings kicks in. I find going through IVF really stuffs your body up as well. We are planning on doing another cycle in september/october so trying to get ready for that as well. I have found less bloating due to cutting out tea and only having 1 cup per day and rest herbal teas. Keep up the good work you guys.
Me 35 DH 40
IVF ISCI Nov BFN
FET Jan 2011 Chem
FET April 2011 M/C 7 weeks
MAC35 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAC35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2011 at 10:37pm
Hey all, Trouble you sound like you are doing great well done.

Just posting - have done two days worth of very moderate exercise and some weight work. Feeling better in self already. My bottom is sore but a good burn. Posting for accountability!
TTC June 2006
MFI
ME 35 DH 48
IVF #1 Jan 2011 BFN
FET x1 April 2011 BFN
IVF #2 July 2011
IVF #3 Feb EC 2012

MAC35 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAC35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2011 at 11:18am
Posting for Accountability. Weigh in tomorrow and the scales have been yo yo ing. Today not overly impressed but know that I have lost something, just not as much as I would like. I have taken it easy and not been too strict. Hence the x2 indian meals this week and the ice cream x2 and the 2 beers and x2 wines. But overall feeling like I am making progress. I need to be kind to me first, and grieve. Taking away further enjoyment like the wine with friends is not gonna cut it. I have been for 2.5 hours are walking and done 1.5 hours of exercise videos. I have done more around the house in a week than I have done in a month, so I guess the IVF drugs are wearing off. Have good food in fridge for this week so it all engine blasting. Whatever I weight tomorrow, its a start, and am going to try not to beat myself up about it and starve myself which is my natural reaction. Walking is going to turn into running from next week which will help. Hold me to this girls out there.

Hope everyone else is reaching there goals and having fun doing it.--Mac xox
TTC June 2006
MFI
ME 35 DH 48
IVF #1 Jan 2011 BFN
FET x1 April 2011 BFN
IVF #2 July 2011
IVF #3 Feb EC 2012

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaeBeeBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2011 at 8:55pm
Hi Trouble, sorry to tell you but pumpkin is really high in carbs so you might want to reconsider! A really good high protein lunch is chicken, salad, chickpeas, viniagrette, avocado. If you are vegetarian, substitute chicken for tofu (the harder stuff). Also if you are not dairy intolerant, go for a bit of feta as well, and a sprinkling of LSA (linseed/sunflower/almond ground up).

And quit bananas - also very high in carbs! Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

I use www.myfitnesspal.com which works like WW online, but is free. It's great for 'showing up' how much protein/carb/fat/sugar is in a food item.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaeBeeBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2011 at 8:58pm
My biggest tip for anyone trying to lose weight is not to eat carbs after lunch - try it for a few days of having no rice/pasta/potato/pumpkin/kumara etc etc for dinner - just stick with meat and veges - you will find you don't crave that 'something else' after dinner. The carbs will spike your blood sugars making you crave something sweet, plus inhibit your weight loss cause you can't burn them as you sleep. Truly! My nutritionist told me this, and also if you can get hold of 'Accidentally Overweight' by Dr Libby Weaver it also confirms this theory.
MAC35 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAC35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2011 at 8:34am
Hey MaeBeebaby, thanks for the tips. Weigh in today disappointing but if anything the exercise this last week has helped me mentally. Weigh in up 300 grams. Nevermind, although truly gutted. Will keep slogging away at it, and avoid alcohol and ice cream. I do feel a bit more toned. Was doing well until the weekend really then, my every 3 hr eating plan went out the window. Will try the no carbs after lunch. All the best girls.

TTC June 2006
MFI
ME 35 DH 48
IVF #1 Jan 2011 BFN
FET x1 April 2011 BFN
IVF #2 July 2011
IVF #3 Feb EC 2012

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaeBeeBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2011 at 6:59pm
Mac35, if you are feeling toned, chances are your 300gms are muscle - so don't despair!

If you have only been exercising/dieting for a few weeks, your glycogen stores will be grabbing at anything they can to keep your blood sugars rocking along. So this is the crucial time for you to keep doing what has been working so far - don't cave in and definitely don't give up! It's only a matter of time until you start getting continuous losses if you continue on with a good healthy eating and exercise regime.
trouble06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trouble06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2011 at 8:04pm
Thanks maybee.

I have been using the WW PP online and it put my pumpkin soup at low PP. Might have to change my lunches but have still been losing weight. Any other soup ideas? I also make pea and ham soup with lentils etc.

I have LSA with bit of muesli in mornings with fresh fruit etc. Have been buying some natural greek yoghurt with no added sugar whcih has been nice as well.

If have good brekkie and lunch then that is enough to put me through until dinner time.

Any other good recipes that we culd share.

Didnt go to WW last week but now 9 kg from goal which I am happy with. Now the drugs from last stim cycle have worn off can actually feel my tummy now. Just need to work on thighs and legs.

have good night all.

I am trying to stay away from sugar at the moment as well.
Me 35 DH 40
IVF ISCI Nov BFN
FET Jan 2011 Chem
FET April 2011 M/C 7 weeks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaeBeeBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2011 at 6:51pm
I don't go by WW for that exact reason - it focuses on really high carb foods and gives them a low PP, possibly because they are low GI - you still have high carbs. Most root veges are high in carbs. It is really important to include protein with every meal - 5 meals a day - that includes morning/afternoon tea (nuts are a superb option for snacks). Protein is very filling.

For anyone struggling with weight, I really believe that a dietician is the way to go. Food intolerances/allergies are often discovered and if you have intolerances/allergies it can hinder weight loss. But like any diet plan, if you don't stick to it then it won't work. Eating every 2-3 hours so your blood sugars don't get low is also important - if your blood sugars get low then your liver slows down - hence you stop burning fat. If you stick to such an eating plan, you won't need to count calories, and you won't be hungry.

BUT if the WW points plan is working for you, then stick with it - anything that works is worth it IMO! Just keep the protein going with every meal.

Edited by MaeBeeBaby
MAC35 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAC35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2011 at 8:00pm
Wt loss 700 grams. So on my way to my new body!

Thanks for all the advice girls, hope you are all tracking nicely.
TTC June 2006
MFI
ME 35 DH 48
IVF #1 Jan 2011 BFN
FET x1 April 2011 BFN
IVF #2 July 2011
IVF #3 Feb EC 2012

MAC35 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAC35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2011 at 7:22pm
Okay only 300 grams this week, but have had the flu and just coming right!. Into action from now on!
TTC June 2006
MFI
ME 35 DH 48
IVF #1 Jan 2011 BFN
FET x1 April 2011 BFN
IVF #2 July 2011
IVF #3 Feb EC 2012

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaeBeeBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2011 at 9:28pm
I just realised I started this post on 18 December and wanted to lose 10kgs FAST - well I am 3kgs off my goal and it's only been since June that the weight started coming off since I discovered my food intolerances - onwards and upwards to everyone!
MAC35 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAC35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2011 at 9:15pm
Hey Maebeebaby that is really good sensible weight loss, go Nail those 3 kgs!

AFM 300g down today. 2 spin classes and 1 kick boxing class. Getting in the groove now.
TTC June 2006
MFI
ME 35 DH 48
IVF #1 Jan 2011 BFN
FET x1 April 2011 BFN
IVF #2 July 2011
IVF #3 Feb EC 2012

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>