FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHelp cutting down the food bill

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
SquishysMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquishysMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 7:58pm
We always buy the big chickens, size 26 or 30, they seem to ALWAYS be on special at Pak'n'save! So we have roast one night, and in winter pie the next with the leftovers, or pizza on homemade bases...mmmm....

in winter I buy chicken frames, got 2 big bags (8kg) from the mad butcher for $6, it was insane! Seems the shops caught on though, I saw 3 frames for the same price at the supermarket. These get made into soup, 3 frames or so to the stock to get a decent amount of meat.

Our grocery budget averages about $170/week, that's for 3 adults and 1 child (plus lunches for a couple of extra kids on weekdays). Some weeks I spend more (last week was $270), and some much less (tomorrow should be hardly any, although I need things like robocan refills that will push it up). I am trying to be tighter again on the budget again, need to get back into my meal planning.
Sponsored Links

myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 8:12pm
Was speaking to SIL today, a friend of hers was told by a budgeting advisor that you should budget $175 per week for 2 adults and 1 child, that incl meat and fruit and vege
Lindsey

floss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2011 at 12:59pm
I have just done our food shop for the week and it was $60 that includes fruit and vege.

I am really impressed with myself, since I looked in the cupboard and worked with what we got I had to hardly buy anything,

Altho, this week we didn't need any cleaning products, pet food or loo paper which all tends to make the food bill go up.

So our menu for this week is:

Wed - Chops, potato, sweetcorn
Thurs - wraps with mince and salad in them
Fri - Steak with home made chips
Sat - Stuffed marrow and crusty bread
Sun - Beef roast
Mon - penne sausage
Tues - Fried rice with the left over sausages from the bag
Wed- home-made chicken kababs

My beautiful big girl Sienna 15.04.06

Double the trouble double the fun Noah & Lola 10/11/07
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2011 at 1:48pm
we go through a kg cheese a fortnight & sometimes over. If you take into account the amount of meals you get out of the $10 block it is pretty good. I make home made pizza weekly (cheese ones), cheese scones, toasties etc.

If you have flour & yeast in the pantry you will not be stuck for a meal.
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2011 at 2:29pm
I am impressed with what you ladies come up with for meal ideas, that is where I am really lacking I think and end up spending a fortune on easy to prepare foods.
So any further meal ideas would be much appreciated

So for 2 adults, 1 infant and a wee dog I spend $130-$150 a week. I would absolutely love to get it down to $100, but would be happy with $110-$120. We don't need nappies or baby food so that helps, but DH drinks 8ltrs of milk a week so that's a huge chunk.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2011 at 9:18pm
I know what you mean MamaT about milk, we must go through at least 12L a week. I am going to have a look at the price of UHT and I am going to check the Mad Butcher when I go this week and see if he sells milk in bags and whether it is cheaper.

I am going to go through my cookbooks again and have a look for some new recipe ideas before I do my monthly shop in a few weeks
Lindsey

blossombaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blossombaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2011 at 9:43pm
wow don't know how you ladies do it its just me and dp (and a baby but dont include nappies etc in the big shop but them sep)
we spend about $150 on the 'big shop' once a week, (doesnt include milk we don't drink it, or fresh vege as we arent huge vege eaters mostly salads etc)
and maybe another $100 per week on 'top ups', a takeaway or two and lunch at a cafe or such.
i can not for the life of me cut the big shop down! ok i can cut the takeouts and cafes out but sometimes its cheaper to get takeouts then cook eg f/chips etc
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2011 at 10:32am
i was horrified that the supermarket was going to charge $3 for a lettuce the other day. my husband picked one up from the local fruit and vege for $1 though. having a garden helps. i love home grown tomatoes, and hubby got our first cucumber from the garden the other day. i hate the supermarket fruit and veges but have been having trouble finding a good fruit and vege shop. i know i should go to the market instead but saturday is sleep in day !

xLUCKYx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xLUCKYx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2011 at 11:36am
I've just started a new thread in the recipes section for vegetarian recipes that meat eaters will enjoy - a meat free meal or more a week helps the budget!
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2011 at 4:05pm
I'm not sure if this has been covered, but does anyone know which supermarket has the best value for money, or is it likely to be different in different areas?

We currently shop at New World, purely because it is just around the corner from us. But I wondered if Pak n Save would be a better option, particularly with their shop & go option.
Thoughts?

jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2011 at 4:15pm
PNS were the cheapest place to shop according to the consumer mag (I am sure I got that right). I mainly shop at PNS & go to countdown now & then.

You also have to add up how much on petrol you are spending as if you are driving a distance to get $1 off something it is not worth it...but I still find the few extra ks to PNS worth it.
pudgy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pudgy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2011 at 7:29pm
Mama T PaknSave is a lot cheaper. For some of my GF stuff there can be up to $3 difference between Countdown and Paknsave.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2011 at 7:40pm
PNS and Countdown are the cheapest options of the 2 supermarket 'empires'. With PNS and New World both being Foodstuffs, New World will likely be a bit dearer

By the way what is Shop and Go?
Lindsey

MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2011 at 10:25pm
I'll give oak n save a go next shop xnd let you
know how I get on. Its about 2min difference in driving time between that and new world so no big deal at all.

Linzy - shop and go is where you scan your grocery items yourself which means you can easily keep track of your spending.

jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2011 at 8:32am
Originally posted by Linzy Linzy wrote:

PNS and Countdown are the cheapest options of the 2 supermarket 'empires'. With PNS and New World both being Foodstuffs, New World will likely be a bit dearer

By the way what is Shop and Go?

I don't find Countdown cheap.
I used to always shop at Foodtown as I hated our local PnS but started shopping there after it was done up & always feel I walk out with more than at Countdown now.

Wish they has shop & go at pns

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2011 at 9:45am
Oh I wish we had shop and go here!
I didn't necessarily mean that Countdown was cheap but of the Progressive supermarkets Countdown is their cheapest option
Lindsey

jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2011 at 10:26am
I know what you mean. I now feel a bit ripped off when I go to Countdown...that is till I get the rewards in the mail, don't think I will get any this time though.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2011 at 7:03pm
Made a few changes to what DH will have in his lunch this month and the baking I will do and I came in UNDER budget today at the supermarket!!! I have to go back and buy cat biscuits because they had run out of the cheap ones but that shouldn't be much. Plus I bought $20 xmas club and bought an extra chicken that I didn't need! Very proud of myself . Just hope I didn't forget something!
Lindsey

_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2011 at 7:43pm
Well i couldnt really stick to my budget so its been increase to $140-$150.

I dont know how i couldnt do it Ive also built another vege garden so hope that will help come winter. Also hoping increasing the food budget now i can stock up on stuff to make meals etc when #2 is due.

I use Shop & go every week. I can keep track of what i spend. Also shop at paknsave. Its definitely the cheapest. Countdown is darer now that they have joined with woolworths. Our local woolworths is now countdown, silly town has 2 countdowns I find some of there stuff is better quality but as an over all shop it is darer.
QTMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QTMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2011 at 10:25pm
Edited because woops I just typed my post into the wrong thread.

Edited by QTMum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>