FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedanyone with NZ Home Loans?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Marama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: anyone with NZ Home Loans?
    Posted: 24 March 2011 at 8:19pm
Hi all, we are buying our first house and have been recommended New Zealand Home Loans by a friend. We have met with a rep, and it all sounds great but I would like to hear from anyone else out there who has a mortgage with them or knows anyone who does? Can't find any testimonials.
TIA

Sponsored Links

JoJames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2011 at 8:45pm
Hey we are with them and find them good, They definately sounded good when we met with them but TBH they aren't much better than with a bank.
The good points are having the transactional account where all you money is in one place and you pay less interest on the mortgage, most months we save like $15 in interest rather than if we didn't have a transactional account, not much but $15 is $15, not sure if that makes sense. And you have a mortgage broker that you can always contact, and they give you budget tracking software so you can see where you are going. So it is good and we would go with them again, hopefully that makes sense, feel free to ask any questions
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2011 at 8:53pm
We are with them and have found them great. We too don't save as much interest as we should be (kinda thought we'd have more money left over each month, but having kids put an end to that!) so we save about 30 or so a month. I think most banks offer similar packages now, but didn't back when we got our mortgage. The only pain is not having branches, but you can use tellers at ASB for anything you need to do and use any banks ATMs.
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
Bel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2011 at 8:00am
Yeah we have them and like them. I like the way the accounts are revolving credit, so although we never have any money, there is nearly always money to redraw.

Love the service that you get, having your own broker to help with any questions is great for when you don't understand something.

I would definitely recommend them
Mum to two beautiful kids   
Luke (09.11.2007)
Amy (01.04.2009)
AuntieSarah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuntieSarah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2011 at 1:19pm
We use them too, we have 4 different revolving transactional accounts plus a couple of fixed accounts which we couldn't do with other banks when we got our mortgage (don't know what the situation is now). So we can have a 'spending' account, a bills account where pay goes in and bills go out, and a couple of savings accounts, and all the money in those accounts saves us paying that interest.

Our old NZHL loan was ASB (like Nikki's obviously is) but our new one is kiwibank so you can do your banking there.

I think it depends on where you are too - our contact (I don't know what you'd call him - like a personal banker I guess) went on about how they are so good at keeping in contact and helping with budgets etc, well he hasn't been at all. Which doesn't bother us but it would if that was the reason we'd used them IYKWIM.
yermasyada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yermasyada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2011 at 2:38pm
I've never heard of this company before, but customers seem to have positive things to say about them.

Personally, I'd be very wary of entrusting 'my' home with a company so young and with one which doesn't have any of the weight of a larger bank, should things take a turn for the worse.

I wonder what happens if one of the franchises goes bust. Would this impact on the whole company?

I'm probably being over cautious, but it all sounds very risky

It wasn't that long ago finance companies were falling like dominoes. Elsewhere in the world, huge banks were going under or having to be saved by the government.

OK, I'll shut up now, cause I really don't know much about this company
linda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2011 at 5:21pm
My sister has just changed from ASB to NZ Home Loans. She thought they were brilliant

Alex 6 and Harry 8
JoJames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2011 at 10:15am
NZHL is 50% owned by Kiwibank not really sure how that changes anything but I guess has a bit of security in it, and all of their loans are actually through a bank so our loan comes from Kiwibank but is administered by NZHL, thats my understanding anyway, not really up on finances at the mo, but am working on it.
Marama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2011 at 9:09pm
Great, thanks for the feedback all of you!

It sounds really good, and I just wanted some reassurance from people who had gone with them, that things didn't go all pear-shaped once you were in!

I think having the backing of Kiwibank and ASB is good prtection, as JoJames says it's their money and NZHL puts together the package and services it. Amd takes a commission of course!

I think we'll also check out what other banks can offer in the way of revolving credit mortgages...I think that style of mortgage would really suit us as we are pretty frugal, we stick to a budget etc (well, DP does, and I have had to learn now we are on one income! )

yermasyada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yermasyada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2011 at 2:43pm
A friend just got a 'revolving credit everyday account' with Westpac and the rate was 5.6%
ElmoRox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElmoRox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2011 at 3:12pm
Heya.. we do use them, but sadly our "banker" wasnt as good as we could have hoped. His reccomendation was to sign for 5 years! And we were stupid and did. Sadly was have a 5 year mortgae with a revolting interest rate! Only another 2 years to go! :(   8.95% sux!

Edited by ElmoRox
j.Hughes139409 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j.Hughes139409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2014 at 3:04pm
What I would like to know at the en of the day is what is their mortgage interest rate over the different lengths of time. ie.variable, 2 & 5 yrs. ThisI have never been able to get out of them which is out there at the banks. When I did contact them all I got was I want to come and see you but no info. I'd like to know I amsign ing up to a bank or in this case a ?? bank?? It sounds as though NZ Home Loans is perhaps running off the coat tails of your normal banks. Plse explain.   
ruthieg27 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ruthieg27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2014 at 3:40pm
Hi,

We're with them and love them, we have saved a lot of interest as I'm self employed and we can make tax and hat offset the interest while I'm waiting for the annual bill to come in.

We've had great service from Ross Whitmore, we live in ellerslie but he is at the takapuna branch.

I really like the debt nav software which is great for long term planning, and I found out that using the mortgage to pay for a new lichen would only add 6 months to our mortgage :)

We have a few diff accounts with terms/rates, we've found them really easy to deal and negotiate with.

Happy home buying :)
ruthieg27 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ruthieg27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2014 at 3:42pm
The loans are all underwritten by kiwi bank so ur money is as safe with them as with kiwi bank...
LuckyRed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuckyRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2014 at 10:13pm
We had a NZHL rep around and stole all their ideas and stayed with ASB. Their ideas are nothing new it's just that banks don't normally go to so much trouble to explain it to you. We have saved heaps!

Maya139998 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Maya139998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2014 at 10:54pm
My friend is a loyal customer of this firm. I am not a customer of this company. I would definitely look forward to use their services.
lisahearton140002 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisahearton140002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2014 at 11:17pm
Sorry, I am hearing the name of this company first time. Never heard of it before.
kiwicutie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwicutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2014 at 1:11pm
I am an accountant & had a home loan with NZHL a couple of years ago. So at that time the interest rate is ALOT higher than any bank! They say that doesn't matter because you will pay it off a lot faster than you would with a bank therefore saving you thousands. I know of some friends who also have their home loan with NZHL, they swear by them but they are still not mortgage free...
They claim you will pay it off in 7-ish years, I'm still to find someone who has done that. There is no quick fix & paying off your home loan in a short time is about discipline, this type of mortgage with NZHL is only for people who REALLY TRULY will be disciplined enough and dedicated enough to make sure you do pay it off sooner. If you are not I would not go with them, you can do exactly the same thing with any bank and pay a cheaper interest rate that's for sure!

I wouldn't go with them again, interest rates are way too high & I prefer a bank.

Edited by RaquelWither140176 - 14 March 2014 at 1:13pm
vincent149030 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vincent149030 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2015 at 8:49pm
We are looking at joining NZHL as well. I noticed the messages above dated from 2011. I wonder if the people who joined NZHL 4 years ago are still happy with them.
I would like to add one more question. Has NZHL a internet banking and is as good as any other bank like ANZ or so? Thank you so much for your reply.
Wellybaby86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wellybaby86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2015 at 7:41pm
i wouldnt do it. My mother has been with them and they were terrible. kept taking wrong amounts out for mortgage and wouldnt explain why, really bad customer service.
Hoping to add to our family of 3 in 2017!!

Post Reply Post Reply