FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNursing strike or weaning?...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
escadachic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escadachic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nursing strike or weaning?...
    Posted: 07 April 2011 at 8:42pm
DD is 14 months old. She has always been BF'd, though does have formula once before bed.

She has refused to be BF'd for 2 days now.

I keep offering her a BF'd when she shows interest, but she just slightly attaches, doesn't really bothering sucking and then bites me

If I try again, she bites again. Like really bites, with her sharp little teeth. It's so painful!

She's more then happy to drink water, milk or formula, but not keen on BFing presently. I've tried doing it when she's half asleep, or just woken up, but same thing, just bites. She seems to be biting the bottle teat too, but is happy to drink from bottle, just not me.

I have to hand express several times a day, just til I am comfortable.

What shall I do?

What does this sound like?

Sponsored Links

SBM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SBM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2011 at 11:44pm
From my understanding, weaning is a gradual process, and a nursing strike happens very suddenly.. Sounds like you have a nursing strike, and I if you are motivated to keep breastfeeding, I would advise contacting your local LLL leader for some advice!

Edited by SoyBasedMama
Caro07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caro07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2011 at 9:02am
Probably a nursing strike. Depends on your energy levels and determination to continue breastfeeding as to what you do. You can get through this but will need to express regularly in order to keep your supply up. Your daughter might drink the breastmilk in a cup or a bottle.

A few of us in the April 2010 thread have been through this. DS did the same about a month ago. I decided to not start BF'ing again. Couple of reasons for this - had always hoped that he would wean at about 1 although I would have liked it to be a lot more gradual. Secondly I didn't want to express. Selfish reasons I guess but I didn't have the time during the day to do this and had no idea how I would fit it in and I don't like expressing.

If you do decide to wean be prepared for a sore couple of weeks with full breasts.

Good luck with your decision
Caroline, SAHM to 2 boys, S (4 years old) and J (2 years old)
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2011 at 9:39am
Sounds ike she could possibly be teething, DS used to bite and refuse bf from time to time when a new tooth was about to pop through. I Would have to express and cup feed him.

ETA - could she have an earache?? Cooper lso bites more frequently when his ears are hurting.

Edited by MamaT

rachelsea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rachelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2011 at 5:55pm
Poor you, I went thru this too when DD was 13months old. Just suddenly she refused to BF. I offered several times a day for a couple of weeks (when my milk dried up) but she wasn't interested and never went back to it. So it all sounded like a nursing strike, but one she never came back from! Hope it's different in your case, if you're not ready for her to wean yet!
DD 4yrs
DS 2yrs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escadachic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2011 at 6:25pm
Well I keep offering and she keeps refusing to latch and bites. She's so not interested. But if you mention milk or water, she's keen as for them.

It might just be her growing up and wanting to be independent and drinking by herself too. Someone else I know has a DS doing this.

SBM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SBM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2011 at 6:44pm
The age for "natural" weaning of most children is at least 2yo, and this happened suddenly, so this is definitely a nursing strike. If you want to keep BFing there are heaps of things you can do to maintain your supply and get your DD keen again - call your LLL leader (I recommend Jenny even if you're not in the Hutt, she's awesome!), they would be very very happy to help!!

Edited by SoyBasedMama
millymollymandy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millymollymandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2011 at 8:20pm
My DD weaned herself at 18 months, probably because I was pregnant and the taste had changed. But... it took about a month or so of less and less interest.

To be honest it was a bit of a relief as my poor old body would have struggled to do both and its nice to have the break. Plus I wanted to wean by 2 and was worried it would be tricky.

Personally I'd just go with whatever both of you want to do. And if it doesn't work out, 14 months is a fabulous effort I reckon!
Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2011 at 1:10pm
What do you want to do escadachic?
It sounds like (as others have said) its a nursing strike, but its up to you how you handle it and whether you over come it or wean. As Soybasedmama said, LLL have some great leaders who are more than happy to help, or there is also the breastfeeding centre in Porirua where you can see a LC for free if you want help to get her feeding again.
If you dont want to get her feeding again, then its weaning time I guess.

+1 May 09 Angel

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escadachic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2011 at 4:10pm
I do keeping trying and my latch position is fine. It's been a week now. So I think maybe she is weaning. I'm still producing milk, but Annabelle just doesn't want it.

Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2011 at 4:21pm
weaning is a gradual process, not a sudden refusal.
you have options available to you if you want to keep nursing, if not then wean her

+1 May 09 Angel
SBM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SBM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2011 at 4:44pm
What did the LLL leader say? Any good tips?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escadachic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2011 at 5:43pm
Haven't spoken to anyone from LLL yet, been busy.

It is actually possible it started with a nursing strike and then turned into weaning I think. As I have talked to others whose babies did the same thing and they never went back to BFing.

STARZIE View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STARZIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2011 at 12:26pm
I was just wondering how you have got through the nursing strike EMMI and Soy basedMAmA? My DS is just past a year and had been down to 2 feeds a day and was starting to bite and not be interested in latching (which is when we have always dropped a feed) so he is now enjoying his cow milk and i am happy that he made his decison to do so...
But I was interested for the next kid, as i wouldn't mind keeping it up a bit longer, the skills you have used to overcome a nursing strike?
SBM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SBM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2011 at 1:06pm
I have never personally experienced one, which is why I suggested the OP to call a LLL leader for advice
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2011 at 1:32pm
Whenever Lily has had a strike which has been about 3 times so far I've just been persistent with offering frequently but not pushing it if she is flat out refusing, screaming, etc. I have found that during a nursing strike she'll often feed for comfort if she gets upset and that can sometimes get things back on track. I have found having patience and not getting frustrated about it also helped - because when I got tense, frustrated about it she only got more upset about it and wouldn't latch.
Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2011 at 3:17pm
Starzie, I guess its a bit differnt if your encouraging him to have cows milk rather than just BFs...
But basically I did skin to skin, lots of it. expressed, tried to bf when she wasnt hungry/was hungry, tried to get her to latch with just the boob, with a nipple shield, syringe feed her, cup feed her and a lactaid to feed her (this is when she was a lot younger) did everything to avoid using a bottle, feed walking around (I had to do this for about 2 months after she started latching again), feeding during the night, feeding her so she was distracted (having someone entertain her while she was latched), I spoke to plunket, LLL, LC and my GP, I expressed every 1-2 hours to keep my supply up, got rid of the dummy, I didnt 'force' her to try and latch, just kept it calm and casual, I had tried expressing so as soon as she latch she would get milk. After about 3 weeks she latched on, and another few days later she actually had a bit of a feed, few more days later we were feeding walking around, and after 2ish months I could feed her sitting down!
Thats just my story anyway, Im sure others will be different No regrets at all looking back, Im (personally) so glad I didnt give in its been more than worth it!

+1 May 09 Angel

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escadachic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2011 at 7:39pm
I have done all I can to encourage Annabelle to BF'd. I have always done it while relaxed, never tried to force her, just sat on the couch and offered her a fed.

She's just not interested.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escadachic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2011 at 4:31pm
Thankx for all the opinions and ideas.

I still believe it is now weaning, which starting with a nursing strike due to the strep throat. I have done all I can to encourage her to BF'd and she's simply not interested. She's very happy with water, milk or formula. She seems to like being able to feed herself a bottle.

I have talked to a nurse and doctor and it is VERY common for babies/toddlers to abruptly self-wean.

Post Reply Post Reply