FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNewborn death sparks warning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
snugglebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2011 at 3:29pm
I was really unsure about having DS sleep on me when I was in hospital, but I was actively encouraged to do it by the nurses as breastfeeding was not going well, and they assured me it was ok and safe. I did have rails on each side of the bed and he was on my chest not next to me, but I never felt comfortable about it at all. I did however in the first few weeks end up with him sleeping on my chest in bed as he would not settle and after 3 or 4 hours I just couldn't stay awake anymore. These days I occasionally bring DS to snguggle in bed on a Saturday morning but he sleeps best in his own bed. It's really unnerving that so many midwives are encouraging this if it can be this unsafe.. I know there's ways to do it safer but I don't know if it will ever be fully safe.

Edited by wiggly_jiggly
Me 28, DH 29
DS born 20 Nov 2010 (4 years old)
#2 due October 7
Sponsored Links

tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2011 at 8:43pm
I find it appalling that some hospital midwives encourage co-sleeping tbh. I'm sure that there are definite advantages, but given that most new mothers are exhausted, and possibly still on strong pain medication after a c-section, I can't see how this would fit the category of a safe environment to co-sleep.

I know my hospital experience was a NICU one so quite different (and in the high risk category) to the normal. For us it was repeatedly stressed that co-sleeping of any kind was not encouraged. Even as a volunteer at NICU I was not allowed to inform other parents of multiples that my twins top and tailed the same cot for 6 months.

Edited by tishy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12