FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPainting?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sarah Beth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarah Beth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Painting?
    Posted: 09 October 2006 at 10:44am
I have a question. My work is planning on painting the office over the Christmas period. I planned on working over this time as it is quiet and pretty relaxed and I want to save my leave.

Now when I found out I mentioned a concern about the paint fumes and all my boss said was it was waterbased paint they would use and that it would be fine, I can work through, but I am not so sure. The actual painting part I can avoid as it will be over night and weekend or if during the day given the size of the office she has said I can move around the office (which would happen anyway to avoid getting in the painters way). Now I sort of feel, waterbased or not, it still has paint fumes.

What are everyone elses thoughts, I really don’t see why I should have to use my leave since they have decided to paint the office. I am seeing LMC in 3 weeks so will ask her then as well, but thought why not get the opinions of the lovely OB ladies!
Sponsored Links

aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2006 at 10:47am
When I was preggy our offices got painted and I just moved around so I was as far away as possible. I kinda figured that we were painting at home and I was still living there!
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
Two Blondinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2006 at 11:05am
We painted the nursery when I was 7 mths preggy and Caitlin turned out alright
littlejo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlejo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2006 at 11:15am
I thought waterbased was okay too. Better be - we're also painting at home!
I'd say just try and keep some fresh air circulating (if possible - some offices don't have windows that actually open...).
Jo

Jo

Millie1976 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millie1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2006 at 11:23am
Water based paint is safe during pregnancy. It's the oil based paint that you need to watch out for.
Sebastien 2 years old
Olivier 3 3/4 years old
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2006 at 11:32am
YOu should be fine, if you can't open any windows take a fan to circulate the air around you. We are doing heaps of work to our house at the moment and slept in our room the same night the cupboards had been painted, I found an oil burner with the "fake" smelling oils was fine enough to get rid of the smell.
I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
Sarah Beth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarah Beth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2006 at 11:37am
my big concern here is the lack of ventalation, and the scale of the job. It is a large office, and if it is anything like the alteration last year it will be done on a large scale with contractors, so our office that sits around 80 would be painted in around 1 week (well less than that due to stat holiday's).
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2006 at 11:55am
Sarah Beth, I'd be inclined to try it out but if it makes you feel sick because you're not getting enough fresh air, then either cut your hours for that time or take a few days off. And I'd put that down to sick leave. Hope that helps.
Andie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2006 at 12:45pm
I helped paint a rental house while preggers, but by 8 months refused to do any of the painting in our nursery and left that all to hubby.  I found the painting work itself (lots of working above your head, stretching and crouching, standing for so long) more of a problem than the fumes (water-based paints) - you won't be doing the painting though, so won't have to worry about that.  Some days I thought the waterbased paints hubby was working with in the garage were soooo fumey and strong that I wouldn't hang around them, and other days I barely noticed a smell - I guess your body reacts to the stuff that's bad for you and you'll know.  You could always turn up and leave if you need to - I'd go for the sick leave option too! 
Andie
SuziE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuziE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2006 at 2:41pm
What is it with pregnancy = painting time!??

We've been painting too ... using waterbase paint and Ive havent really noticed any fumes from it.   
I'd go with the see how you feel option ... take some time off if you dont feel right
Andie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2006 at 7:19pm
NESTING.  That's what it is... never underestimate the lengths some of us will go to in crazy nesting efforts!!
Andie
Kazzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2006 at 7:31am
When we painted our nursery i couldnt be in the house while it was being painted as the smell made me so ill, and the room had to be shut up while i was in the house so it took a while for the smell to go.

I agree that you need to find out if you can handle the smell, i couldnt even go into a paint shop

Post Reply Post Reply