FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNew job, New pregnancy! Help!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
cuppycake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppycake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New job, New pregnancy! Help!
    Posted: 20 August 2011 at 11:20am
I've recently started a new job where I am currently still under the 90 day trial. I was unemployed for 16 months before this. I'm also recently UTD! My employers have made it very clear that they want me to stay on. I know I will be eligible for the 14 week leave but my partner and I are very set about me staying home for the first year. I haven't told my employers the news yet (waiting for the first trimester to be over) but I was wondering if anyone has Experience with this?
Is my only option to resign before the 14 weeks is up? It is a small company so I'm not sure that asking for the extended leave will go down very well

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by cuppycake
Sponsored Links

Hopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2011 at 12:31pm
Well, you've got nothing to lose if you ask - so I'd give it a shot. But if they say no to extended leave, I think that you're right; you can choose the 14 weeks or quit.

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2011 at 1:46pm
You're entitled to take up to 52 weeks maternity leave so I'd just do that. They may not like it but you are entitled to that. You can choose later on if you want to quit or go back to work
Hopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2011 at 1:52pm
I'm pretty sure you have to have been employed at least a year before you're entitled to 52 weeks

cuppycake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppycake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2011 at 2:06pm
Thank you for the advice.

Kebakat, unfortunately I'm not entitled to the 52 weeks. Im hoping I will be able to work something out though.
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2011 at 2:21pm
Oh stink!
T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2011 at 2:29pm
You'd be entitled to 6 months though? Or is that no longer on offer? It used to be 12 months service for 12 months off, and 6 months service for 6 months off.

If they do decline your request for 12 months, then take the 14 weeks and resign at the end of it. If you resign before the 14 weeks is up, you don't get the government parental leave payments once you've resigned. You may as well at least get those
MrsEmma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsEmma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2011 at 12:51pm
I was in this position with my first pregnancy. I signed my contract before going on a pre-planned 5 week long holiday and got UTD on said holiday.

I had a bad feeling the news wouldn't go down well, it was also a small company, but I intended to come back after the 14 weeks leave I was entitled to so hoped I was wrong. But as I suspected, my employer wasn't happy and basically made my life a misery while I was there so after the 14 weeks PPL I handed in my notice. It worked out fine as we then decided for me to be a SAHM, but if I needed/wanted to keep working I probably would have still quit and found another job after the way I was treated.

I hope you can work something out, good luck!

Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2011 at 10:37am
I was under the impression you got 6 months off for 6 months work as well. Might be worth double checking. T-Rex is right - if you resign before the 14 weeks is up they cancel the payments as well, resign AFTER!
Hopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2011 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by T_Rex T_Rex wrote:

You'd be entitled to 6 months though? Or is that no longer on offer? It used to be 12 months service for 12 months off, and 6 months service for 6 months off.

Nope, sadly . You have to have been working six months to be eligible for the 14 weeks, apparently - you don't get a six month option (unless, I guess, your employer is nice enough to offer it). At least, that's the situation for me, since I'll only have been back at work for six months between parental leave 'episodes'.

Edited to clarify - anyone is entitled to 14 weeks of unpaid leave, no matter how long they've been in a job. If you've been in the job six months, you're entitled to 14 weeks of paid leave. If you've been working for a year, you're entitled to take up to a year off total, including your 14 weeks paid leave. This site has some good info.

Edited by Hopes

EmDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2011 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Hopes Hopes wrote:

Originally posted by T_Rex T_Rex wrote:

Nope, sadly . You have to have been working six months to be eligible for the 14 weeks, apparently - you don't get a six month option (unless, I guess, your employer is nice enough to offer it). At least, that's the situation for me, since I'll only have been back at work for six months between parental leave 'episodes'.

Yeah I'm in this position too, only 7mth back at work between 2 sets of maternity leave Thankfully my employer also offers 6mth extended leave for 6mths of working

All the best Cuppycake, I hope it all works out for you.
DS 8
DD 6
DS 4
DD 2
cuppycake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppycake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2011 at 6:43pm
Thanks guys. Possibly a bitch move, but ill only announce the pregnancy after the 90 days is up.. if I don't start to pop out before then
tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2011 at 3:13pm
I started maternity/sick leave just after 6 months at my job.
Legally they only had to allow me the 14 weeks but thankfully my work are very family friendly and let me take as long as I needed to come back. I started back at work when my twins were 8 months and they let me transition slowly back up to 3 days a week.

It really depends on the company and how accommodating they are.
T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2011 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by cuppycake cuppycake wrote:

Thanks guys. Possibly a bitch move, but ill only announce the pregnancy after the 90 days is up.. if I don't start to pop out before then

Fair call. I sat on the news of my first pregnancy until the day after the promotions committe met I felt I was starting to pop out a bit, but I just was careful how I dressed and pretended like nothing was happening - no-one dares ask at that stage of pregnancy!

I was wondering that Hopes, cos I remember seeing stuff about it when I read up before DD was born, but hadn't seen it when I was sorting out my application for this bub. Wasn't sure if it was just that I'd not read it as thoroughly this time or not, but I guess that's been quietly removed then. Stink.

Hehe, I noted my official start date back at work in my calendar, added a year, worked out when I could conceive to have that as my due date and put that in my calendar as the first possible "come off the pill" day. Cos DD was so sick, I ended up delaying by a couple of months, but the year off was something I really wanted to make sure I had the option of again.
HuntersMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntersMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2011 at 8:56pm
I started a new job when I was UTD and just snuck in (by a day) to get the 6months off, with 14 weeks paid. I had about 8 months off, and just negotiated it with my employer who had hired someone on a temp basis anyway, so wasnt a big deal for them.

#2onthewayxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote #2onthewayxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2011 at 8:03pm
Im in a similar position. Changed jobs and on my 3rd week there found out I was 6 weeks pregnant. Luckily that entitles us to the 14wks paid and my boss was really good about it all.
Sad thing is i moved to the job to get away from my old one and give me some free time to figure out what i really wanted to do...and now im stuck in a job im not all that fond of!
Im hoping that on maternity leave i can have a search for something more...but with it being bub number 1 I may just be kidding myself!!!!
cuppycake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppycake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2011 at 8:39pm
It's slightly comforting to know I'm not alone in this lol.
How did everyone tell their employer? As in did you have a story planned or was it straight up "I'm pregnant!"? Also how long did you wait after the trail period to drop the bomb? I'm slightly freaked as I replaced a girl who left after having her first child too. Must be the chair we're sitting on

Edit - I still have 6 weeks of my trial to go. yeesh.

Edited by cuppycake
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2011 at 2:38pm
Youll be 16 weeks before you plan on telling them? .. Man oh man I hope youve got some padding to hide that bump.
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
KiwiL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2011 at 3:39pm
Pfft, I was 16 weeks before I told my boss in my first pregnancy, and I had NO padding. Just didn't show much at all in my first pregnancy.
cuppycake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppycake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2011 at 6:06pm
I know If it's getting too obvious I will have to tell and if I lose my job over it then so be it. Their loss too! But yeah, I'm keeping my fngers crossed tight over here.

Thanks for everyones advice!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>