FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedYour reaction when told theres 2 (or 3)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
UpsyDaisy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UpsyDaisy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your reaction when told theres 2 (or 3)
    Posted: 16 September 2011 at 1:05pm

With some of the recent posts I thought it could be cute to have a thread on your or your partners reactions when you found out you were expecting more than one.

I'd love to hear how far along you were and if you were expecting double trouble for any reason?
Sponsored Links

UpsyDaisy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UpsyDaisy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2011 at 1:16pm

We went to the first scan at 12 weeks I'd had no ms at all but had felt very tired some days. Being on ohbaby I was aware of some ladies having missed miscarriages at 12 weeks and because I'd felt so well I was anxious to see that baby was okay.

As soon as OB starting scanning he said 'oh' (he would have known then I guess) I was freaking out in my head that something was wrong as I thought the baby looked to small on the screen. Then he goes through all the parts this is the head heart legs etc and I felt reasurred that all was okay. Then he says 'so theres one and theres the other' I could see immediately that he was right having gone through all the anatomy just before. I don't think it really sunk in and I babbled something about the room we had already prepared being too small.

DH didn't seem to react at first he's hard of hearing so I thought he may not have heard. Hes a real joker and said afterwards that he thought OB was having a joke and wasn't until the OB wrote it down that he realised and then asked "Is she going to get really big?" Thanks honey
Twinboys2b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twinboys2b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2011 at 1:30pm
Hi, my husband checked under the bed and asked if it's a DVD on the screen, whether it was a practical joke! He then asked her to check that there wasn't a third!
3yr old gorgeous ID twin boys.
Danda08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danda08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2011 at 1:36pm
12 week scan and DH and I had already discussed the fact it may be twins due to my family history and the size of my bump and the EXTREME tiredness, so extreme I was having to leave work mid afternoon to go home to sleep!
But I had told myself things like that didn't happen to me.

The guy started the scan - having told me where the loo was cos I was in pain from needing to pee, and said "do twins run in your family", I replied yes and promptly burst into tears and he said "well there's two so it's going to take twice as long". Kinda brutal way to break the news but I think he meant it would take longer for me to be able to go to the loo.

DH just sat there with the hugest grin on his face and I cried the whole way through (and for the next 2 days).

UpsyDaisy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UpsyDaisy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2011 at 1:44pm

Haha your DH sounds a hard thing Twinboys2b.

Awww to crying for 2 days Danda no twins in our families so we had no idea what we were in for. If we went back again and I got told it was twins I would cry for 2 days too, they are great now though.
minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2011 at 11:39pm
I went for a viability scan at 7 weeks (recurrent miscarriages previously) with my MIL. The sonographer had a quick look and said, yep there's one little baby...and showed us...then moved the wand and said and there's baby number two!! I just cracked up into hysterical laughter (as I did randomly for a few days afterwards). Rang their dad after the scan and he nearly fell out of his digger. Texted Mum who just said "good god". Then I went into work to tell them. Then came on OB to tell the lurkers who were waiting for the results of my scan.

Looking back, their dad and I had lots of conversations previously about what we would do if it was twins (they run in my family on both sides)...we never really had a conversation about one baby....
tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 9:13am
I found out at 12 weeks. The sonographer stated "Well there they are" and then said that next time we should let them know there's twins as the scan takes twice as long. ( I think he was annoyed as we were the first appointment of the day )

Twins run in my family too and I think I had a hunch that there were twins. Didn't stop me from staring hard at the ceiling for a lot of the scan DH was delighted immediately, he spent the rest of the day boasting about his 'super sperm' despite the quick recap of biology I gave him
Danda08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danda08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 11:24am
Don't suppose your sonographer was an older guy at Pacific Radiology on Lambton Quay Tishy?? (Sounds rather like the comment my one made).

crazimum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazimum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2011 at 11:01am
We decided to go for our 12 week scan on Hubby's birthday. He already has a set of twins so we didnt think it would happen again. I had no MS was still working 40+hrs on my feet all day. But my bump was showing at 7 weeks but i didnt think anything of it!

The lady put the scanner on, moved it off and i was already saying "you gotta be kidding me"looked at hubby and he had no idea what i was on about....i then told him there was 2! Lady was very impressed i saw it (i know what im looking at have had 3 kids already)

I was laughing and crying at the same time!

We did the scan, Bubba A was in a weird possy so we had to go for a 20 min walk and come back, walked out into the waiting room to all the other scanners/receptionist ladies all cheering LOL....we were pretty silent for most of that day bursting into OMFG and then laughing LOL.

Gave my oldest son the photos (he didnt even know we were preggers) his reply to the photos.....mum, i know this is a baby and you are having one.....but why is this saying twin 1 and twin 2.
lisa85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisa85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2011 at 8:15pm
I went for a dating scan turned out I was 12 weeks and there was two! Hubby was at work so when he got home I didn't say anything just gave him two scan pictures. One of each of the girls. He asked why they looked so different and that's when I said they were twins. He went outside and didn't talk to anyone for a couple of hours lol. He told me later all he was thinking about was money ;)

When I saw two babies on the scan my reaction surprised me. I was excited when I probably should have been terrified lol. I vaguely remember saying "oh wow" about 20 times and don't remember anything the nurse said after "it's twins!"

TTC #3 since Jan 2010 - PCOS
MC April 2010
mumoftwins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mumoftwins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2011 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by Danda08 Danda08 wrote:

Don't suppose your sonographer was an older guy at Pacific Radiology on Lambton Quay Tishy?? (Sounds rather like the comment my one made).

Partially deaf Barry?? He did our 12wk scan! He just dropped it into the conversation really casually.....first baby? "yes" any history of twins in the family? "no" There is now...
My DH had joked I was either going to have a 10lb ginger (he was very ginger when he was born) or twins as I felt so big.
I cried (only a tiny bit) and he leaped out of his chair with a loud YES! when Barry said yes, twins.
whipersnapper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whipersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2011 at 10:59pm
I didn't find out untill I was 21 weeks. (I only ever had a routine scan at 19-20 weeks to check health of baby) The radiologist assumed i already knew, checked baby, then said, "Now for the other one..."
reaction? disbeleif, shock, swearing, folowed by insane fits of giggles, then panic at how to tell hubby baby 5 was actually baby 5 and 6.
I was so mean....i came home, and handed him the ultrasound film and insisted he look at it, saying, "go on, it's so cute." then waited for him to notice the little notation in the corner that said twin 1.
he did after a minute, screamed and ran off! he got over it eventually......
Emu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2011 at 6:03pm
I have read this thread before and enjoyed it but I never actually thought I would get to answer to it!

I found out I am carrying twins at my 12 week scan this morning! Other people and myself had suspicions of it so we have been awaiting my scan in great anticipation!

I saw the two wee sausages as soon as the sonographer put the scanner on but was too scared to say anything. The lady asked "Are you seeing what I am seeing?" I asked if there were two in there. "Yes" She said. I just couldn't stop laughing in disbelief and had to hold my breath so She could keep scanning. DP kept repeating "OMG, OMG!" Everytime we look at eachother today we have this nervous smile. We are happy but very nervous.

Not sure yet if there are identical or fraternal but they are both healthy.

My reasons I suspected: I got a really early positive that appeared instantly. 6 days before AF due with a discover test. Needing to pee twice as much as first pregnancy and my belly popped out at 8 weeks and is now really obvious. Plus I just had a weird feeling.

My Sisters friend just had a feeling and my MW thought it could be possible because of how high my abdomen is.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mumoftwins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2011 at 7:54pm
Congratulations Emu!!!
Danda08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danda08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2011 at 8:12pm
Very exciting Emu! An early xmas pressie
Welcome to the multiples threads.
UpsyDaisy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UpsyDaisy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2011 at 12:08am
Congratulations Emu but I think I know you from another group The new mum survival guide thread is a useful one to read and the ladies here give great advice - Julia
Guest_64538 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest_64538 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2011 at 12:14pm
Hi there, i just found out at my 12 week scan last week that my partner & i are having identical twins. Didnt speak for the entire scan as we were in so much shock. We dont have twins in the family and apparently identical twins arent genetic anyway they are just pure chance/luck. We are now getting used to the idea and need to do a bit more research. Im now considered high risk due to them both in the same sac so concerned about that + other negative things that can go wrong, just trying to remain positive though. Scary stuff but it seems it was meant to be. :-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mumoftwins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2011 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Guest_64538 Guest_64538 wrote:

Hi there, i just found out at my 12 week scan last week that my partner & i are having identical twins. Didnt speak for the entire scan as we were in so much shock. We dont have twins in the family and apparently identical twins arent genetic anyway they are just pure chance/luck. We are now getting used to the idea and need to do a bit more research. Im now considered high risk due to them both in the same sac so concerned about that + other negative things that can go wrong, just trying to remain positive though. Scary stuff but it seems it was meant to be. :-)

Congratulations! I have identical twins too, mine will be 5 years old in just over 3 weeks!!!
Are your twins Mono/mono or Mono/di, because there is a big difference in the level of risk (mo/mo's have no dividing membrane but share the amniotic sac)
Try not to get to caught up in all the bad stuff that could go wrong....the majority of twin pregnancies have no issues, go to twin full term and have healthy babies of decent weights that require little to no care.
And we are here to answer any questions you may have.....I think between us all we cover a huge range of experiences with twin pregnancies!
Danda08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danda08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2011 at 9:38am
Welcome Guest & congrats!! (you totally need a proper username now you've joined us).

I second the not stressing, you'll be closely monitored & lots of us had prem twins & various complications so ask as many questions as you like
Hibiscus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hibiscus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2011 at 5:41pm
We found out at the 12 week scan too. DP was late (as he came to the appointement during work hours specially) and the scan technician had already told me before DP turned up. "I can see twins" she said. "Are you kidding" was my reaction and a giggly hysterical laugh/outcry. Then DP entered the room, I did not know what to say, I grinned at him and the technician told him. I cannot remember whether DP said anything, he might not have. We just held hands during the rest of the scan session, couldn't stop grinning, felt like wanting to giggle the entire time! For a whole week I had to pinch myself and it felt as if we had won lotto. Twins run in DPs family, but ours are identical, so by luck, which is odd.
Mum to 3 girls: identical twins and with a 3 year gap another girl.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>