FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCar Insurance Question..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Car Insurance Question..
    Posted: 26 September 2011 at 7:46pm
I'm with AA and have been since i've had a car and never had a problem with them - BUT - recently found out they will not replace my carseat should i have a crash. They will only pay second hand value. I have a radian ($500ish RRP) and have asked them to tell me exactly what they would pay if i were to need it replaced. Obv it fluctuates a little but they got back to me to say in the region of $250. I know its only another $250 to buy the other half of a new radian but in a situation where my car was written off i'd have enough costs to deal with without that on top. I'm not sure i'd be able to afford to replace it. I know other insurance companies do pay out the full value of a replacement carseat. I have spoken to a superviser at AA and there is no negotiation, even if i were to pay a slightly higher premium.

So my questions:

1) Is it worth moving insurance companies when this is my only gripe or should i just not be fussed about the carseat

2) Does your insurance company replace your car-seat, and if it does do you mind telling who you're with?

3) A few weeks ago someone smashed in the rear passengar door in a car park - i havent made a claim yet as i filed a police report and am waiting to hear if they can find the guy who may have done it first, but i have rung AA to tell them about it and i can claim my own insurance if they don't. If i switch companies, does that mean i can no longer claim to have that dent fixed? Its quite major not just a little scratch, the whole panel is caved in, and the rear car pannel got done too.

TIA :)
Sponsored Links

pikelets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pikelets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2011 at 8:17pm
Hi Bowie

That sux that someone ran into you (happened to me in a carpark t00.) Soo inconvenient!!

Not sure about the carseat.   But if you move insurance companies, they are not going to repair your car as it is existing damage. You usually have to answer questions about claims or any loss or damage whether a claim was made or not.

Maybe you could ring around and get quotes and find out what other companies say about the seat.

Edited by pikelets

3 Angels - Dec10 / Mar11 / Dec11
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2011 at 9:12pm
Actually wouldn't have a clue....good point to look up!
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
MissCandice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissCandice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2011 at 9:12pm
I bought a safe and sound carseat from baby factory and on the receipt it said that if i have an accident they will replace my seat free of charge.
~ Mummy to a beautiful girl ~
Tissy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2011 at 9:28pm
do you have contents insurance?
i think with state car seats are 'accessories' in a vehicle. same as the view anything thats not factory fitted into the vehicle.
but if you have contents insurance carseats are covered with that if you stipulate it on your policy.
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2011 at 9:35pm

I think car only covers the actual car and your contents insurance covers the things inside it. A friend of mine had his car broken into and the car got fixed under the car insurance and the stuff that was stolen was covered by contents. Might be an idea to ask what is actually covered by the car insurance if you look at moving companies.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
MrsH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2011 at 10:37pm
Hi,

Didn't even think about this sort of thing and I'm an Insurance Broker hehehe.

My suggestions:

1) Yes, it would pay to call around and find out if any other providers would fully cover the car seat. To be honest, many Motor policies are for Market Value (i.e. today's value) and same usually applies to their accessories. ALSO, a carseat may not be considered an accessory. It would be worth investigating cover under your Home Contents policy as well as it may cover carseats. Again, you'd have to find out what the "Basis of Settlement" is for carseats (if they even cover it) under a Contents policy as well.

2) I'm not sure about my own policy and will be doing some digging myself so thanks for the prompt.

3) As for the damage to your vehicle, you won't be able to claim for this damage with a new insurance company as they weren't your insurer at the time of the accident. AA should cover it but you'll probably have to pay your excess if they can't find the third party to recover their money off. And depending on what your excess is and the value of your lost no-claim-bonus, it might be cheaper to pay for the repairs yourself.

ETA: If you do lodge a claim through your existing insurer, it would pay to wait until the claim is finalised before moving insurance companies. Some insurance companies don't prioritise claims for ex-customers. AND don't forget to inform your new insurer of your previous claims.

Hope that helps.

Edited by MrsH
HuMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2011 at 5:58pm
Great question! I'd never even thought about it and I have 4 carseats in total over 2 cars, Brios and Radians, so that could be expensive!!

Just checked with State. If its in the car in a crash its covered by the car insurance, if its out of the car for any reason its covered by the contents insurance.

I'm not sure however how much of a "crash" it would take for them to replace 2 radians and a brio without complaining about the cost!!
mothermercury View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mothermercury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2011 at 8:31pm
Okay, I have had some experience recently with replacing a car seat through insurance, so I'll give you my input on that.

I got rear-ended last month, so I got a pay out from the other guy's insurance, since it was his fault. He was insured through IAG (they do insurance for some banks, also State). My car didn't seem too bad (although it must have gotten a good whack because it ended up being a write-off) but I wanted to replace the Radian because the manual said to replace it after ANY accident. It was not a severe accident (in that the car didn't roll, there was no damage to the door, etc.) but I wanted to be on the safe side!

They said they would pay out because it was fixed in the car. I also had to send them proof of purchase (and I sent a copy of the manual just to show them I had to replace it).

They said they would only give me the second-hand amount, but that since I had only had it for six months, it would still be quite a lot. My case officer called the shop I bought the car seat from, and the owner gave her opinion on its second-hand value. It ended up being only $50 less than full price, so I did get a fair amount back.

I think second-hand value is probably the best you can get. After all, if your car is totalled, they're only going to give you the amount it was worth just before the accident happened, which will probably be less than what you bought it for, since just about everything depreciates in value over time. However, it seems to make a difference who you get as a case manager with the insurance company - mine obviously did some thorough checks and it turned out well for me.
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2011 at 6:33pm
Thanks for the replies guys. It would not be covered under contents insurance either. MissShell that does make me feel a bit better, if it were damaged now (less then 3 months old) that they would pay out a bit more perhaps though if it were to get damaged say, after a few years when DS would be foward facing anyway i wouldnt mind so much.
pekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2011 at 7:03pm
Bowie-We replaced our car seat last year with state after a minor accident (the old car seat would have been fine...but they offered). The carseat in the accident wasn't a radian, but we replaced it with one. There was no fuss at all, and I cant belive your company doesnt replace for full value. That surely would just encourage families that cant afford to make up the difference in cost to continue using a carseat that has been in an accident.
If I Remember rightly, it was under the car claim, not contents.

I would suggest getting your claim sorted then move companies if you are not happy. I havent changed companies before so I am not sure if there is much of a fuss s about it. But I guess you need to weigh up this $250 with the fuss of changing, starting new payment plans, loosing good history/no clam bonus'???
Taurus210213 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taurus210213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2016 at 2:40pm
We can find best car insurance services providers and the details you can watch from this blog. The details everything clearly given in this website with great articles. That's why? I am chosen this website provided content, and thank you so much.
Best Car Insurance Finder

Edited by Taurus210213 - 21 June 2016 at 2:49pm
 Post Reply Post Reply