FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedLooking to switch to formula

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest_67259 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest_67259 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking to switch to formula
    Posted: 26 February 2012 at 2:19pm
my son is 11 months old now and i am fulltime at work. I am still exclusively breastfeeding, but it is getting harder and harder with work and expressing.

I think my milk supply is going down as they have told me he is "looking" for more milk when he has his feeds at daycare.

He has an allergy to dairy, and is quite sensitive to a lot of food so i am worried about what type of formula to put him on as they all seem to be cow milk based and those that are goats milk based as insanely expensive.

I have just started to take some homeopathic remedies to increase my supply, so hopefully this works. i ultimately only want to feed him with breastmilk - but may not have enough for him. (i can only get between 230-300ml expressed at work per day)

any comments, or advise would be so wonderful! i just dont know what to do.
Sponsored Links

T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2012 at 7:26pm
Does he eat much in the way of solids? I had DD1 in care right by my work, and I'd pop in during the day to BF her directly. Initially 2x daily (she was in 8.30-5, with just over 30 minutes commute on top of that). By the time she was 11 months, I was just coming in for a lunch feed each day (in addition to BF on demand during weekends, and a big evening and breakfast feed and a few overnight).

Just after 11 months, she stopped wanting a feed when I'd come in at lunchtime, but I kept visiting just in case for a couple of weeks. Then once she was 1 I just stopped going. She wasn't taking it anyway, so there was no point. I continued to BF on demand in weekend and in the evenings. She was night weaned at 12 months too. I continued to BF till 16 months and I think DD only weaned then cos I was 16 weeks pregnant so the milk tasted yuck!

What I'm long-windedly trying to say, is you may not need to switch to anything. If he's still able to BF morning and night, and weekends, then if he's eating a reasonable amount of food during the day to fill him up, he doesn't actually need formula at all. He'll be getting plenty of goodies from the BF after work. We never gave DD formula at all. Could that work instead?

ETA. DD1 has cows milk issues as well so she didn't drink milk of any kind other than the BM. She had a bit of rice/oat milk on cereal, and her calcium came from the BF when she was with me, and also we'd go for calcium rich foods in her lunchbox/dinner. You can get soy yoghurt, for example, although that's not cheap either.

Edited by T_Rex
snugglebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2012 at 9:27pm
If he has a dairy allergy you should be able to get him neocate (hypoallergenic formula) if it does end up that you stop breastfeeding. If you get a prescription it is free but the prescription needs to be from a paediatrician. In your situation I wouldn't think it would be hard to get it for him if he has a lot of sensitivities.
Me 28, DH 29
DS born 20 Nov 2010 (4 years old)
#2 due October 7
Katherine251485 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katherine251485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2020 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by Guest_67259 Guest_67259 wrote:

my son is 11 months old now and i am fulltime at work. I am still exclusively breastfeeding, but it is getting harder and harder with work and expressing.

I think my milk supply is going down as they have told me he is "looking" for more milk when he has his feeds at daycare.

He has an allergy to dairy, and is quite sensitive to a lot of food so i am worried about what type of formula to put him on as they all seem to be cow milk based and those that are goats milk based as insanely expensive.

I have just started to take some homeopathic remedies to increase my supply, so hopefully this works. i ultimately only want to feed him with breastmilk - but may not have enough for him. (i can only get between 230-300ml expressed at work per day)

any comments, or advise would be so wonderful! i just dont know what to do.

There are plenty of non dairy formulas out there that you can try. My 8 months old baby girl was having troubles on formula so i switched her to enfamil 'non dairy' one and it solved the problem for us.
 Post Reply Post Reply