FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMarch 2013 babies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 210211212213214>
Author
Kat15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kat15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2013 at 4:28pm
Well saw plunket today and when they saw me 2 weeks ago she thought I was on the verge of pnd and this time she is sure I have it. Things just aren't feeling great for me at the moment. So have an appt with my gp tomorrow.

Does anyone else have pnd? If so how are you feeling after going on the medication?
Sponsored Links

blondiesboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blondiesboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2013 at 7:00pm
Hey Kat, I kind of do and have gone on Prozac about two - three weeks ago. I think it is starting to kick in now. We'll feel heaps better for it, so go for it. Family members who have had it got better taking antidepressents and they've been really helpful for me. Just know that sometimes the pills can make you feel a little worse before you get better - not always, but sometimes. The first pill I took gave me a tonne of reactions but the next one I've had nothing, except a few days where I've felt worse. But I feel more like myself now. Remember, the way you're feeling is not YOU, it's a chemical reaction to all that we've been through physically, plus the overwhelming responsibility of being a new mum. You're doing great and well done on your nurse for spotting your symptoms. PM me if you want to chat Hugs x
Kat15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kat15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2013 at 7:19pm
Thanks so much shakeybaby :) nice to hear I'm not alone. Might give you a pm over the weekend after my appt tomorrow. I have my sister inlaw here from Saturday to Tuesday so will need some time out from that.
waterbaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2013 at 8:12pm
Kat I think SB has summed it up nicely and please do not feel upset or worried about how people will react and remember we are all here to support you. SB is right, remember this is not the NORMAL YOU.

As for us C I think is on the up and up from his virus but still pretty grizzly at times, he hasn't been sleeping that great and we have now put him in his cot too so is probably a bit unsettled from that as well.

We did have plunked today and he is 6.07kg now and 62cm long, he is in the 75h percentile for his height so am hoping he will be a tall boy with some good muscle on him :)

We have decided to buy a fireplace this weekend as our house is pretty chilly and windows get wet overnight and want to ensure C is as healthy as he can be...sorry if I have mentioned this before. Is a big expense we have not allowed for so thinking I will have to go back full time in Oct which sucks but we have so many bills coming up and with childcare as expensive as it is we are just trying to see if there is a way around this but will have to wait and see :(

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blondiesboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2013 at 8:16am
Oh WB, that's not cool. How are you feeling about going back to work? Have you picked out the childcare centre? What are your thoughts about it? I worked at one last year and can say the teachers love the children. I worked in the baby section a lot and they were so great.

I think my pills are kicking in because I feel a little clearer in the head, but not sure.

Yesterday LM tried his first taste of rice cereal and pear. He's taking his bottle every time but plays around on the boob and he hasn't been eating enough. So I tried it yesterday lunch just to check it didn't make his tummy funny and he was fine. So I will try it tonight at dinner. He kept mouthing it, I think he liked the taste, but he did gag a few times
POok1e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POok1e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2013 at 8:23am
Sb, awesome to hear you are feeling better! Even if you only think so... its still an improvement. Go you!

Wb, I LOVE fireplaces. Our new house has one and I'm so excited about using it! Hope Coen is feeling better today... must be hard when bubbas get sick and they cant do anything about it. Dreading the day C gets a cold or a stomach bug and I wont be able to help him much! Bummer that you have to go back to work early! You could always look at in home care for Coen, I've heard they are heaps cheaper.

C slept from 6.30 to 12am then to 4.30 then to 6.30 so he must have needed a good sleep!

jessicajanea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessicajanea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2013 at 9:38am
hey Kat, hang in there lovely. Just remember PND is actually really common. I chose not to be medicated and I'm feeling a lot better now but being a mother is extremely stressful business- the medication isn't forever! It's about keeping you sane and feel better in yourself so you can look after your baby :)

Pookie LJ is sleeping exactly the same kinda deal at the moment. 7pm-1am then til about 4...I try and dummy her to take her til at least 5 and then I change her etc. Because I find if i just feed her and put her back to bed she doesn't sleep for long! probably cause shes wet.

Those of us who are breastfeeding:
Do your boobs feel really full just before a feed? or like, hard or maybe even engorged?
I stopped taking the domperadone for my milk supply just because it was such a hassle to go to the doctor, but LJ has only put on 230g in the last 3 weeks, which is very very minimal weight gain.
My boobs always feel soft and I know that she is getting milk but even after her 6 hour stretch at night they don't feel very full. Am just wondering if it's worth going back on the domperadone maybe if she got more milk she would sleep for longer.

I really really wish we had a fireplace! It's super cold here in Tauranga!
Two angel babies

October 2010

January 2011

and...
waterbaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2013 at 11:20am
JJ during the day mine are soft but C certainly still seems to be getting enough milk, but during the night before his first morning feed they feel hard and full so not sure if that helps you or not.

So I am starting to get really down about sleep time and I dread every time I put C down to bed. He cries and screams as soon as I lie him on his swaddle and will continue until he falls asleep - have tried not swaddling and part swaddling and this doesn't make a difference. I have tried a couple of mins of CIO but couldn't hack it and I am now resenting him when it comes to bed times. I just don't know what to do anymore and it is starting to get me down.

Is anyone else experiencing this?
ginger22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2013 at 1:24pm
JJ I have read that as baby gets older you don't get that 'full' feeling as much but the milk is still there. I think it is something about your body being more efficient at producing. I know I feel like I don't have anything when I am not full, but I am having a hard time with supply and everyone is totally different. Maybe talk to plunket and see what they think, particularly in regard to weight gain.

Funnily enough I thought giving my little man formula at night might get us longer through the night...not at all, it is just the same :)

Waterbaby, hang in there, it does get better. We use the Baby Whisperers 'supervised settling' as a guide for our CIO timings. I can cope so much better when I have a count down timer on. Only difference is I stay in the room as long as it takes to calm my little one instead of limiting that time too.

Anyone noticed a little technique your babe likes as comfort? My boy responds really well to a hand resting lightly by his head, or gently stroking his forehead or bridge of his nose. So cute :)
waterbaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2013 at 1:59pm
Thanks PM. C likes the forehead down bridge of the nose too, he used to like being jiggled in his bassinet but now we have made the jump to the cot it of course can't be jiggled so relying on white noise, tucking blankets under him to replicate the bassinet and of course his dummy :)
POok1e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POok1e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2013 at 2:29pm
Yup WB and SB, the bridge of the nose is the key! Apparently its an old wive's trick (sis says its pretty common at her daycare)

JJ, totally! boobies feel soft most of the time... only really if it has been a really long time since a feed (usually the first night feed).
I'm still taking the domperidrone... forgot the last couple of days and really noticed the difference with C being more cranky and taking forever to feed... its like he knew there was less than normal there and was trying to tell me so. Been giving C a second bottle the last few days, probably because I had stopped taking the tablets and he needed the top up. Gets really settled after that though so its not a bad thing!

And the short last sleep.. I notice C is wet too, so going to try to change him at the 4am ish feed so he is fresh and maybe will sleep longer? Although I am a wuss when it comes to the cold so havent been doing it lately unless it is mega full. Bad momma :(

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blondiesboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2013 at 3:10pm
WB, we use the dummy. He settles easily with it and we don't usually have any issues, he's usually asleep within 10mins. I know you use it overnight, have you tried it at bedtime?

LM is not having my breastmilk during the day and I don't know why. He'll have it at dinner time but only has the bottle every other time, and only about 100mlsish each time. It doesn't seem like he's eating alot. Hmm... This has been for the last 3 days.
Minny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2013 at 5:59pm
JJ, if you are worried about the quality of your milk try drinking a glass of complan with a teaspoon of brewers yeast mixed in. Brewers yeast is available from most health food shops. I drink at least one glass per day but where I can I do one in the morning and one at night before I go to bed as I struggle with my supply overnight and it has made a big difference. It doesn't taste the best but I just down it and get it over with.

I have had to give my boy a formula top up after each feed as he wasn't gaining weight fast enough (80g a week) and I really felt my milk quality had declined as he never seemed full after a feed, but now he feeds for 30mins and is alot happier. I still give the formula top ups anyway, but hope to drop these eventually. The difference is he went from only gaining 80g in one week, to gaining 370g in one week. I do use Domperidome too, and also take fenugreek capsules, also bought from a health food shop.

I am hoping to feed through winter if I can, and then switch to fully formula fed from August. So far the yeast / complan / fenugreek mix makes me feel this could be possible. Good luck!

Code snippet: PseudoHTML, UBBCode™ and BBCode. Used on most forums.

POok1e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POok1e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2013 at 3:54pm
Minny, thanks for the tip about complan and brewers yeast. I've been drinking complan on and off when I remember, and have had brewers yeast in lactation cookies but never thought of taking them together!

Sb, interesting that bub wont take breastmilk during the day? Is he not interested at all?
jessicajanea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessicajanea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2013 at 9:49am
Minny thanks for the tip. I haven't had any dairy but perhaps I should be just swallowing some brewers yeast? haha I'm going to go to the doctors and get the domperadone I think. The milk is there but I have struggled with supply all the way and I want my wee girl to put on weight :)
Two angel babies

October 2010

January 2011

and...
tinx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tinx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2013 at 10:16am
Shakeybaby, SJ is doing a similar thing and not really interested in feeding duribg the day. He's really fussy on the breast and not really interested in formula top ups either. I spoke to plunket and its probably teething as he's dribbling lots too. As long as they are putting on weight and having wet nappies it's ok. Hope it doesn't last long though as I'm worried its going to effect my milk supply more.
POok1e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POok1e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2013 at 1:21pm
Aw no! C has a cold. Poor fella. Any tips for stuffy noses?
eskimon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eskimon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2013 at 1:35pm
How's the sleep going waterbaby?

We've made the transition to the cot, actually went fine, no drama at all. We are finding it challenging sometimes to get her down for the night, sometimes she just won't have it, and I'm not going to do CIO so we have to get her up...she always goes down on the second attempt though... Madam!

Pookie, I read somewhere if you chop up an onion and put it by the bassinette it can help with a cold... i have one at the moment and just hoping DD won't catch it!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blondiesboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2013 at 3:21pm
We got a suction thing and sucked all his boogers out You have to be careful, but it worked wonders.
waterbaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2013 at 1:09pm
On no for the snuffles, not good.
Vicks rubbed on their feet with socks over top is good or put some on a hanky and put out of reach in their cot to breathe.
Yep the booger sucker has been used here a lot along with saline drops down each nostril - you can get from the chemist.
Sleeping for C is very hit and miss, more miss at the moment, but don't think it is because of the cot as had started before the transition but he seems to be taking it in his stride. We have put two softer blankets under him so it's not so hard to transition from a soft bassinet to an inner sprung mattress - and keeps him toasty too.
Keep warm and dry ladies.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 210211212213214>