FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedApril 2013 Babies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78798081>
Author
emma_3335 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emma_3335 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2013 at 9:27am
Hope your all doing well.

We are expecting snow later this week so trying to prepare for that, and keep warm. Hopefully the power doesn't go out as we only have a heat pump and panel heaters until our new fire gets installed next week !

I have heard from the sleep consultant. She is doing the assessment tomorrow so that will be interesting. Ashley has been better (I'm finding the stroking the forehead works miracles! ....still it's assisted sleep but that's ok) but I'm still going ahead with it. It's only $59 at the end of the day.

Look forward to hearing from all of you :)

Sponsored Links

Speck8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speck8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2013 at 7:02pm
Hi all,

Emma - snow ay, hope you guys are rugged up nice and snuggly. Sounds like NZ is getting hammered by bad weather at the mo. Hope you're all keeping safe.

Sorry I've been MIA. My MIL is still here and I just find I have zero spare time at the moment what with juggling the two boys schedules and trying to keep at least semi on top of the washing, dishes and throwing a quick meal together for dinner. It's a fine line too because do I fold the washing and put it away or use that time to play with my toddler.

However we seem to have settled into a wee bit of a routine which I'm enjoying as I'm definitely someone who likes predictability. Josh is waking around 7am and is up for around 2 hours, goes down for a sleep from 9-11am, is up for another 2 hours and then sleeps from 1-3pm and then sometimes has a catnap around half 4 and other times he doesn't and then he goes down at 6pm. He often wakes between sleep cycles but then resettles himself back to seep. THe good thing is that DS1 sleeps at 1pm too so that works out well. In saying that I'm sure Josh will change things tomorrow to keep me on my toes.

Not much else to report, though I'm starting to think about weaning Josh off his miracle wrap, was thinking about doing it at about 12 weeks but not sure. What do you guys think about when you'll stop swaddling? I'm also thinking ahead to solids and wondering when I'll start. I started at around 4months with DS1 (but mostly cos he slept poorly and I thought it might help, it didn't!). So I dunno. Solids is pretty messy and when they can't sit up properly you have to put them in the bouncer rather than a high chair....hmmmmm....am leaning towards waiting a little bit longer this time around, like maybe 5 months. Then again Josh is a big boy and maybe he'll be ready for it sooner.... Have you ladies given it any thought?
DS 1 born in May 2010.
emma_3335 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emma_3335 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2013 at 9:09am
Hi Speck

Haven't thought about solids yet..Ashley isn't yet 3 months so nowhere near ready. i will have to look into it one day soon i suppose. I know Plunket etc advise waiting until around 6 months but a lot of little ones are ready well before this. Something to look forward to...more mess haha.

With the wraps, the Sleep Store say... http://www.thesleepstore.co.nz/content/sleepadvice/popularquestions/howlongshouldIwrapfor
Once they start trying to roll is a good time to stop i think. Can try one arm out to begin?

So i have received the sleep assessment from the Baby Sleep Consultant you recommended. Ashley did 6.5 hours straight last night. May have been a fluke but im giving it a good go. Its almost like a project as i report back to Emma with my day. Its great so far! The report had heaps of advice and when i send back the activity log im keeping, she assists then too. So thank you Speck for this.

How do you guys cope with visitors and outings? Ashley seems to get so upset when people come over and hold her, or we go to peoples houses. Not that we do often but she seems to struggle with people around. She is great at the shops etc, its just when we are around people all wanting to hold her or give her attention. Too much for the wee dot. Which is hard when everyone wants cuddles...

Mrs JCD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs JCD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2013 at 11:31am
Hello all!

Just a quick one as have to get started with dinner prep - I find if I chop everything up in advance, it makes things so much easier when it comes to the 'witching hour'.

It's still pretty hot over here, and I'm actually wishing for some of your cold weather. Was 26 degrees in Lara's room yesterday - ridiculous, the poor thing!

Emma - would definitely love to learn more about the advice you've been given. Lara is normally really good at night-time, but turning into a classic cat-napper. It's driving me nuts! Does Ashley do this to, and do you have any tips that you've found work?
emma_3335 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emma_3335 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2013 at 9:25am

Edited by emma_3335 - 25 June 2013 at 9:31am
emma_3335 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emma_3335 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2013 at 9:28am
Hi Mrs JCD. Nice to hear from you.
The Baby Consultant (Emma) has basically given me a flexible routine to follow re time frames up and when Ashley should be sleeping. I am following that as much as i can, but she doesn't always sleep as long as she should be during the day. I usually try and resettle her if she wakes and if she doesn't go back to sleep, then i just get her up and wait until the next nap. She is pretty good though.
Emma said basically you should get them up at 7am. Start the day with a dramatic wake up, lights on etc. Ashley is up for around 90 mins at a time, then down for a morning nap. Hopefully over an hour long. Then up again. The longest nap should be around lunch time as this helps the night time sleep. Up again around 2pm hopefully and then a couple of cat naps are fine after 3.30 ish. She advised most babies can only biologically cat nap around this time so thats normal before bed for the night. She also said if they sleep on you occasionally (especially cat naps) thats fine too. Or go for a walk to get them to sleep in places other than bed. Then bed for the night after bath etc around 6.30pm. I do a night feed around 10pm also which helps.
I don't want to go into too much as im sure Emma doesn't want all of her advice given for free but basically she is a support over the week and i keep a log and she comments on it, with tips and advice as well as answers any questions i have via email. Its all very personalised with an initial assessment (12 pages!)
Ashley has been settling MUCH better with this routine and although she is still waking 2-3 times a night (between 6.30pm and 7am) thats completely normal. She is pretty much self settling all the time now and if not, i just pat her bum in my arms and calm her and put her to bed and shes fine. We are using a dummy though so not sure if you're against that!!
She did advise i should keep Ashley up for at least 1hr 15-20mins even if showing tired signs a bit earlier.

Edited by emma_3335 - 25 June 2013 at 9:30am

Mrs JCD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs JCD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2013 at 9:39am
Oh that's awesome, thanks Emma!

I think I will contact her as our day time naps are about an hour max per time, and I know she needs more than this. Would love to use a dummy, but she can't hold one in which is a shame!
Mrs JCD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs JCD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2013 at 11:47am
After another unsettled few naps, we have also signed up for the Baby Sleep Consultant assessment. Emma - she should put you on commission!

I paid the extra for the urgent service, so here's hoping we hear from her soon!
emma_3335 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emma_3335 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2013 at 3:57pm
Cool - she is really good and will go on whatever you are comfortable with. E.g. I'm not a CIO kind of person and she respects that so we work it other ways. Or if you use a dummy or co-sleep she will adjust accordingly.
I'm someone who probably needs someone helping me along with a structure...my job is very corporate and structured so I'm finding it great! She is down to earth and realises all babies are different and we are all only human!

Good luck :)

emma_3335 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emma_3335 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2013 at 4:02pm
And Speck needs the commission, not me!
Also as Speck mentioned, add her on Facebook and she often puts wee tips on there or offers quick answers.

I'm still struggling with longer naps at times but no point stressing over it all the time. They will get there in the end :) hopefully by the end of my week with Emma we will have it down pat!

Mrs JCD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs JCD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2013 at 5:35am
Argh, Lara woke this morning at 3am and then fed until 4am before refusing to go back to sleep again, which is very unlike her. She eventually fell asleep on DH (this has never happened before) and when I woke her for her feed she was in a super deep sleep. I definitely think the lack of daytime sleeping is now affecting her nighttime sleeping.

We should get our sleep assessment from the Baby Sleep Consultant later today, and honestly, it can't come soon enough!

Emma - hope Ashley is adjusting nicely to your new routine. Definitely let me know if her daytime sleeps are improving.

Speck - how's Josh doing? Hope he is being an angel and giving you lots of good naps.

Any word from Bobsta? I don't think I've seen anything for a while?
Bobsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2013 at 12:23pm
Hi Ladies 

Sorry I know I haven't been on in a long time. I must admit I went through a stage where I just couldn't be bothered with the computer anymore! All those emails about sales on baby things, plunket emails, parent centre emails blah blah blah! lol Sorry to leave you wondering what happened, bad me! Embarrassed

Great to see everyone seems well. I'm glad the sleeping problems have settled a bit for you guys too Thumbs Up Nice to see see you have settled well in the states JCD. Bet that was a tad stressful moving over there with a baby. You're more courageous than me!

We are doing great and I'm loving bundling up and going for our buggy walks in this chilly weather lol. We've been lucky and apart from a few days of heavy, we missed alot of the stormy weather. All we got was heavy rain for a bit and  then we've had lots of lovely clear sunny days. I'm loving looking up at the snowy mountains and we even had snow on the top of the hills in town in the weekend which is pretty rare here. I hope you survived it all ok Emma!

She's still feeding really well. I'm so glad the breastfeeding troubles have gone and I just love breastfeeding her! She is just a brilliant wee sleeper and has started sleeping through the night. Yay! She is so happy and content and loves her play time now, a real change from back when she seemed grumpy being awake! I will enjoy this stage while it lasts as we are coming up to 3 months next Thursday and I know that 3 month growth spurt can be a real challenge so it's all likely to change in a flash! 
My antenatal group are super close and we catchup every week and have a facebook group for chatting during the week if we need it which is awesome.

I can't remember who it was but someone mentioned the miracle blanket...I've stopped using mine now and have started using the swaddle me up instead now that she has found her hands. She can suck her hands for self soothing while still being tightly swaddled and it's just brilliant. I highly recommend this! 

Right I better get my A into G and use the quiet time to make a bacon and egg pie for tea, nom nom! 

Take care lovely ladies and precious wee bubbas Heart

Me 34
Him 35
DD almost 2 years old and...
Baby #2 on it's way!

Speck8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speck8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2013 at 6:38pm
Hi all,

So nice to hear from everyone! Glad The Baby Sleep Consultant has been helpful Emma - yay yay! I was worrying about sleep while I was still pregnant and a friend recommended her to me so I've been following her on FB. So many sleep experts are so set in their ways either leaving babies to cry or not leaving them at all so I really like how The Baby Sleep Consultant takes your parenting style into account. Sounds like Ashley is doing great - keep us posted.

JCD - sounds like it's been a frustrating time with Lara's sleeping, how has she been today? Hope your sleep consultant comes through soon! We have had on and off problems with cat napping. I keep trying different things: keeping him up for longer, giving him longer to grizzle in between sleep cycles, going for walks in the buggy etc etc. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't!

Bobsta - so nice to hear that you are Lili are doing so well!!! So neat that your antenatal group is so close - bet they are a fantastic support network! ANd sleeping through the night is amaze-balls!!! Well done Lili!!

As for Joshy, he is still doing really well. I wrote a few days ago about a routine we'd settled into but of course that got thrown out the window as he has started waking up at different times during the morning, anywhere between 5:30am and 7:30am. He goes to bed at 6pm so I don't mind too much if he wakes at 5ish as that's 11hrs straight, plus DS1 is an early riser too. But then other days he wakes later so it all just depends. It's hard to make plans to meet someone at a fixed time as I absolutely HATE having to wake him. But really I can't complain. As I mentioned earlier, sometimes he catnaps and other times (like today) he has two really decent sized sleeps which is amazing.

Emma - you asked about our babies being held by other people and going out and about etc. Josh is fine being held by other people but DS1 wasn't. I think some babies are just a bit sensitive to people other than mummy and daddy. They get better though. Josh is really not a fan of the car, unless he's due for a sleep. He also hasn't overly taken to the frontpack which is a tad annoying but I'm convinced once his neck is stronger and I can put him facing outwards he will like it more!

I think I am going to try swaddling Josh with one arm out next Wed when he turns 12 weeks. Bobsta I tried one of those Swaddle Me Up wraps but I think Josh finds it annoying trying to suck on his hands through the fabric...

DS 1 born in May 2010.
emma_3335 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emma_3335 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2013 at 7:52pm
Hi everyone. Nice to read the updates :)

Bobsta - nice to hear from you. Yay for sleeping through the night. Wow, I dream of that day. Although Ashley is getting better, she has only been waking once at around 3am on our "routine".

Its amazing how busy we are now! I often find time to post on here when I'm on the ipad as I can take that anywhere and into our room if Ashley needs to be sat with or I one arm type while feeding etc. Not very often these days but have done in the past! Shes far too quick at feeding now.

We are still having some cat naps but we have been going out often so its hard to get her properly settled if we need to go out. Every morning I get her up regardless at 7-7.30am to start the day. This has helped and was a tip of the Sleep Consultants. She will often have two small naps before lunch then a longer one then a couple of small naps before bath etc. Bed at 6.30pm. Working on the nap duration now. We really need a few days at home...but thats hard to co-ordinate. I am going to Plunket coffee group PEPE once a week, have my Anti Natel coffee group once a week, plus other appointments, supermarket, still organising some renovations etc etc. I try to only have one thing per day or one visitor or one visit out per day but doesn't always work that way.

Speck - Thank you - we were visiting my grandparents today (whom we haven't seen for awhile) and they held Ashley and she was all smiles at them, so I suppose its just her mood at the time. She is getting better with people so im sure we will get past it.

Mrs JCD - hope things improve. Let us know how you get on with Emma.

Re swaddling - I'm alternating the miracle blanket and the love to swaddle. She doesn't mind either, but I will cut back on the MB soon. I had stopped using it but pulled it back out after the Baby Consultant suggested it.

Ashley has been really active this week. More than usual. She is holding a rattle, smiling in the mirror at herself, babbling away when she wakes or when on the floor, we have conversations in her speak which she loves and when i read to her, she reads along with her cooing...so cute!! Plus we sneakily tried the Jolly Jumper a wee bit eary on Sunday. A tad early but her head is SO strong we gave it a 5 min go, and she loved it :)

Mrs JCD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs JCD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2013 at 9:23am
Hello from a much happier household! Seems to be that our beloved Love to Dream swaddle was creating a bit of an issue - having her hands available meant Lara was doing a big startle and waking herself up. Back to the standard swaddle with a blanket for us, which we've never done before.

It is early days, but we are loving our Sleep Consultant - info is SO interesting. Day 3 of not having left the house, but determined to crack this thing as today is Day 1 of our new routine. I'm so amazed by how awesome my DH is - he is an absolute godsend, especially in times when I have been in despair.

Feeding time now, but hope you are all having a fantastic day and hope to give you an update soon!
Mrs JCD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs JCD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2013 at 9:25am
Forgot to say - love reading your updates, I can't believe how much our babies and growing and thriving! Very cool to hear what is coming up for us as we are a couple of weeks/days behind you guys - amazing what changes in just a short space of time as they grow!
emma_3335 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emma_3335 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2013 at 12:49pm
That's great Mrs JCD! Yay for a happy household. You are lucky you have some great support. Probably need it that little bit more being over in the States!!

I have realised the Love To swaddle probably causes some of my problems too...she can knock her dummy out when in this, so it takes a bit longer to get to sleep as she cries when the dummy is out...so may stop using that one, not sure. Maybe just not at night? Although i will be trying to wean the dummy some time in the future....
I've spent the day at home today, done some baking and tidying up. Nice not to have to go out. Even getting my groceries delivered :)

Speck8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speck8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2013 at 1:25pm
Wow holding a rattle Emma - awesome! Did you put it in her hand or did she reach for it when in front of her? So cute that she is cooing during story time too!! So nice when they start interacting more ay.

It's so hard sorting sleeps out around all our activities isn't it. Although to be honest, we don't go out very much at all as it's still quite hard with the 2 of them. I get our groceries delivered. But to be honest I do go a bit stir crazy sometimes being at home a lot. Today I'm going to try going to the park during Josh's awake time and perhaps give him a little kick on a rug while DS1 plays on the slide etc - might be a disaster but will give it a whirl.

So awesome that your DH is so helpful JCD, I'm sure that counts for a lot!
DS 1 born in May 2010.
emma_3335 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emma_3335 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2013 at 3:12pm
I held it out to her and she sort of grabbed it, took it with my assistance so not on her own! she has def found her hands though. so cute :)

She is under the play gym/mat now hitting the hanging rattle like a boxing pro haha

im getting a wee photo shoot next week which should be fun! hopefully she is good and the cradle cap which has appeared this week disappears.

Mrs JCD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs JCD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2013 at 7:09am
Awesome lunchtime nap yesterday - woo hoo! Not so happy at 4am though when got completely inconsolable and I almost couldn't latch her.

Emma - I'm also loving doing my sleep diary, I'm such a geek!

DH's work have bought an air con unit for her room (they arranged our rental apartment here) as it's getting ridiculously hot in there - 25 degrees most afternoons and 24 degrees overnight, so hopefully that will help.

Her sleep is becoming my obsession, can you tell?!

Totally agree, online grocery delivery is awesome. How did our mothers cope without that kind of stuff?

Speck - how did the park go? Hope that Josh enjoyed getting outdoors. I'm so impressed, I can barely manage one little baby at the park! Lara loves looking at the leaves blowing in the wind and also running water from fountains.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78798081>