FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMums supporting each other

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Minny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2013 at 9:45pm
Peppermint, that is awesome. So so happy for you.

JD, yay for Marty passing 1800g. He really is a little trooper!

I had two lovely cuddles with my boy today. I tired to latch him for his morning feed, but he has other ideas. Mornings are for sleeping and cuddles only. By the 2pm feed he is well and truly ready to latch. Today I got him latched on both sides before, during and after his tube feed. My clever wee boy!

Code snippet: PseudoHTML, UBBCode™ and BBCode. Used on most forums.

Sponsored Links

JacquiDuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacquiDuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2013 at 11:39am
Just got the most amazing news - Marty's moving to the Hutt today!  The hospital is 7 mins away (yes, I have timed it ) , so I can be there for ALL his cares!  I can even go in the middle of the night if I feel like it =-)  So, so excited, coming home is still ages away, but this is just such a big step closer =-).  I hope everyone else has as awesome a day as I'm going to be having =-) 
Minny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2013 at 10:51pm
Yay JD, that is just awesome news! Go wee Marty! So awesome that you are so close and can do all of Martys cares. If you're anything like me, the cares are one of my favourite times.... Cares, feed then cuddles. My 2pm feeding time that I NEVER miss! I can't make the later cares as we live too far away and they are late at night!

ginger22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2013 at 12:06pm
YAY Marty, you are a little legend! JD that distance is going to make it so much easier for you. FYI - still take care of yourself, as we were only a few mins away like you, but it is still draining. Sometimes if I felt a little guilty missing a feed, I reminded myself that he was 'not supposed to be here' and it was ok to take time. Happy healthy mum, happy healthy baby.

As for us, we are now home :) bit surreal to be honest, but just too too TOOOOO good :) have a lovely day you awesome mums x

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacquiDuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2013 at 12:50pm
Wow Peppermint, thats amazing!  Congratulations, and please let us know how things go =-)
Minny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2013 at 9:59pm
Congratulations Peppermint! So happy for you. How exciting.

AFM, I am so happy. I latched Isaac on at 2:30 feed today and admit to feeling quite disheartened as he really wasn't too fussed about latching. I know it's still early days but he was doing so well yesterday! But then at 4 while I was expressing I noticed the cue signs for a feed so I quickly stopped and latched him with much more success. Then latched him again with his 5:30 feed and holy hell... The boy finally got it and sucked and swallowed like it was the last feed he was ever going to have. Even after I'd tube fed him his whole 31ml he cried when I took him off, and would take a big drink when he was latched back on!

It's weigh day again tomorrow so can't wait to see how much he's gained. His notes said he'd been waking hungry all night so think 31ml just doesn't do it for him anymore. We are aiming for 1800g to get out of the incubator and wear clothes. I just can't wait for that to happen, and although he definitely won't be there tomorrow, it's possible we could reach that milestone next week. Fingers crossed!

I am going to ask if there's any chance of being re-admitted to the NICU once Isaac is really starting to feed just so I can be there for more than three feeds. We live a 60km drive one way from the unit so I may just be able to stay in for a couple of days before we get relocated to my local maturity unit - the final step to coming home.

So late. Am off to bed, although still feel amped after my good feed today so think it may take me a while to fall asleep!

Edited by Minny - 23 February 2013 at 10:00pm

ginger22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2013 at 8:48am
sounds awesome Minny, well done! Just be careful not to put too much pressure on yourself around the feeding. From experience, there are up and down days (and nights as I have now found out) and there is not always an apparent reason for them. But, stressing / being upset / frustrated about it really does not help. I had to keep reminding myself of that, so did the nurses and my partner. Your man is already flying, he will be there in no time.

JD...how is the Hutt? Hope you guys are nicely settled in :)

Nicky, how are you and Ethan going?

As for us...home is the just the best. I can't wait for you ladies to get your babes home. MW visited yesterday, and will be back again today for a weigh and things. Was nice for my wee man to sleep a little better last night in between his feeds :) hope I didn't jinx it just then!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacquiDuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2013 at 9:18am
Minny and Peppermint, sounds like things are just going so well for both of you =-)  The hutt is fantastic, so much more laid back then Wellington.  Ihad 2 amazing cuddles with marty yesterday, aswell as hamish having one =-)  They encourage cuddles as much as you want, and my mum even got to have her first cuddle with her grandson!  It makes so much difference being able to just come and go Smile
Minny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2013 at 5:34pm
So happy for you JD. It seems Wellington is quite strict, in Middlemore, I say who can and cannot hold baby, but the nurses will step in if the baby's are being handled too much, or have been out of the incubator in non skin to skin cuddles for more than an hour.

Saying that, I have let a couple of people hold him but only if he's already been out of the incubator. I do prefer less handling and more uninterrupted sleep so he can grow!

Peppermint, I know you are right about the breast feeding. It's so hard to have a good day, then a not so good one! But I do realise my boy is still really tiny so any time he latches on is a bonus. Today he was crying when I got there and the nurse encouraged me to try latch him, which I did. The lactation consultant heard and came in and she was amazing. She changed how I hold him, and also gave me a nipple shield which she said means he doesn't have to create the vacuum, he just has to suck. And suck he did - for ten minutes straight. He was so full he couldn't even fit in all of his feed.

I was stoked! He even repeated the whole thing at the next feed, although I need more practice fitting the shield! I was so proud of my boy.

Edited by Minny - 25 February 2013 at 5:36pm

ginger22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2013 at 7:25pm
YAY JD...so much more freedom, and, I think that will give you more quality time too :) extra and easier time for Hamish too.

wow Minny, that is awesome. you are right on the money with 'he is really tiny...any time a bonus'. yay for you both.
I use nipple shields, and they certainly take some getting used too. they are recommended for prem babes. I am hoping that I can wean off them at some point, but MW said yesterday not to stress, and wait until my boy is bigger.

babe was weighed today, and hasn't gained any weight since we left hospital, but hasn't lost any, so that is the main thing. we do have to start waking him if he sleeps over three hours during the day so he gets enough feeds, but he can go slightly longer at night. fingers crossed for some weight gain over the next few days before follow up visit with NICU :)
eskimon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eskimon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2013 at 4:48pm
******Lurker in:
Just wanted to pop in and say to you guys that you're all freaking legends! Wehad our baby last week and she stayed a night in NICU and the babies in there are just amazing and their parents are the same. You're all doing such an amazing job. Glad to hear you are all getting closer to having your babies home.
******lurker out.
Minny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2013 at 7:27am
Thanks Eskimon.... And again, congratulations on your little girl!

Just popped in to say hi. It's weigh day for me today and am looking forward to seeing how much my boy has packed on. He's definitely getting bigger now. It's so good to pick him up and actually feel some weight to him. The doctors are trying to get him out of the incubator by the weekend. He's so close. Was at 1625g last weigh, and has to be at 1800g.

Isaac's feeds are getting better and better using the nipple shield. He fed for a full 25 minutes yesterday, and then we still gave him the 37ml tube feed. If that doesn't beef him up then I'm not sure what will! Heehee... Funny that despite getting a big feed he is still starving by the next one... And filling his nappy for me every feed too! Awesome!!!

Hope you all have a good day.

Peppermint, how are you getting on at home? What support has the hospital given you?

ginger22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2013 at 9:33am
Hey Minny.

Good news on the feeds! Hungry little boy huh :)

Home is great, so so great! Even though last night was horrendous from about 9pm - 2am. So lucky my partner is amazing and when wee man wasn't feeding, we just tag-teamed in and our trying to settle him. This mostly consisted of being wrapped tight and held close.

My MW came over the day after we came home, then again a few days later for an actual visit and weight for the standard postnatal follow up. Plunket are coming today, and we have a followup with the hospital Thursday. To be honest, we don't have / need an awful lot of support as our man doesn't have any health needs that we are aware of. We were able to just take our small, hungry, baby home - with lots of advice on keeping him healthy and safe from germs and maximising sleep etc.

I have been told to call them, or call in if I need them!
Icecream View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icecream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2013 at 10:51am
Lurker ---
This group caught my eye.
You are all amazing mummys with very special tiny babies
My perm baby was 14 last week and starts her first job this week!
Not sure were all the time went, reading these posts brings alot back.
She was early, tiny and very sick.... 9 months in hopsital (longer than in me!) and now has no issues, normal teenager (if there is such a thing)
Do enjoy them when they are small because they sure don't stay small
Lurker out -----

Edited by Icecream - 27 February 2013 at 10:52am
Minny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2013 at 7:02pm
Hey Icecream, it's good to hear of other premmies growing up! I bet it seems ages ago for you now!

AFM, it's been a great week. My boy weighs 1715g so only 85g to go before we are out of the incubator. Cold be after weigh day this Sunday FX. Also, they had lowered the temp on the incubator to 28 degrees, so today they told me I could dress him, so it's not such a shock coming out of the incubator. Luckily I had actually had a bag of washed clothes in the car. I practically skipped all the way to the car to get them and couldn't wait til he woke for his 11:30feed so I could dress him.

He looked so cute, and all grown up!

Icecream View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icecream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2013 at 7:23pm
Lurker in --
Hi Minny,
Tiny tiny clothes are even cuter!
Lurker out
ginger22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2013 at 7:24pm
Minny - wool = key. Our man has some on at all times and it made such a difference with his graduation from incubator to cot, and then home. Also, socks / booties when you can. Our unit had heaps that we were able to use and bring home. Just my recommendation :)

My man had his weigh in today back at the unit and is up 120g from discharge so that's us...home for good :)
Minny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2013 at 10:20pm
Peppermint, I only put a onese on him, his temp was quite warm so I didn't even se a blanket, but then he is still in the ncubator for the moment. I have some merino stuff for when he's out and plenty of socks, oho ties and beanies. Still can't stop looking at the photos I took. He just looks too damn cute!

So stoked your boy has put on weight. Great news!

ginger22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2013 at 12:08am
Hahaha we sent out so many pxts of our man in his first onesie as well....top cute!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacquiDuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2013 at 6:20pm
Hi All!  Have just been way too knackered to write on here lately, but have been reading to keep up with all your news =-)  I've been spending so much time with Marty it's been awesome.  He's had a busy few days, we went back into Wellington yesterday to get his thyroid checked - all looks good, so good news there.  Even better today he was put onto Wellington CPAP, so now I can see his handsome little face!  It's made things so much better, he's more settled (he hated the mask etc), and I don't have to spend cuddles making sure his bubbles keep going!

Such good news about both your bubs =-)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>