FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMums supporting each other

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Minny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2013 at 8:54pm
Hey JD, yay for being able to see Martys face. I took so many photos the first day Isaac had no mask on. It was an awesome feeling.

Had another good day today. The doctors this morning decided he was stable enough to be transferred to a cot today rather than wait until he gets to 1800g. He is pretty close anyway. So I took him out of his incubator to b/ f so they could change him over to a cot, and he had a huge feed. Did 20minutes each side, followed by another 10 minutes. We didn't even give him a to up. He went off to sleep contented. I was stoked. At this rate we could get transferred to our local maternity unit early next week, and I get to room in with him. Can't wait for that!

Code snippet: PseudoHTML, UBBCode™ and BBCode. Used on most forums.

Sponsored Links

Minny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2013 at 7:31am
Hi ladies,

Hope you all had a good weekend.

We've been pretty busy with our wee boy lately. He got weighed yesterday and gained a whopping 190g, so he's gone from 1715g to 1905g! I as so pleased as it means we can be discharged to our local maternity unit later this week. Isaac is 6 weeks old today so he is getting his jabs done. I feel so sorry for him but know it must be done. Providing he has no reactions to that we could be discharged as soon as Wednesday! I just can't wait.

Hopefully get to bath him today too.

Hope all the bubbas are doing well.

I see a few March babies have arrived already!

Have a good week!

ginger22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2013 at 10:08pm
Yay for the weight gain Isaac, that is great. It will make such a difference being discharged locally like JD.

We have had some massive weight gain here at home too. MW is crazy happy with us, and I am feeling pretty good about it :) got some more advice around winding and settling.

Asked about when babe may start smiling for real, and she said around 4 weeks 'normally' but to add 7 weeks to that for our prem date. Bit of a kick in the guts, but something I need to get used too.
Minny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2013 at 9:58am

Well we made it out to our local hospital and its been a crazy few days, Isaac hasn't been sleeping well, but then also hasn't had a dirty nappy for almost 48 hours so we will deal with that at he next nappy change and then hopefully I will get my sleepy baby back. He hardly sleeps as he is straining and squirming and I feel so sorry for him.

Loving spending 24/7 with him though. Last night he pulled out his nasal feeding tube and the midwives here had decided not to replace it for the moment but to see how he goes. I am happy as he looks so so cute without it, but also cos it gives me a chance to fully establish feeding him every three hours and settling him with enough time to sleep before he needs feeding again. At the moment he is struggling to settle but pretty sure his tummy isn't helping.

I am learning that sometimes I give in too quickly. He often doesn't want his hands wrapped, but then will stir and whinge and won't sleep, but if I just wrap him anyway and give him a cuddle he will go down without too much fuss!

Hope you ladies and your lovely wee boys are doing well.

Peppermint, I was told Isaac may smile at around 7 or 8 weeks from birth. I have found so many conflicting opinions though. In the NICU we always used to ask the same question to three or four nurses and compare answers! Can be varied. The way I see it is I have been waiting for everything since I got admitted to hospital, and every step was a massive milestone. Being mum to a premmie is a lesson in patience! We will all eventually get those smiles we so long to see...

kiwigal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2013 at 3:42pm
Lurker so glad your premmies are doing so well.

I am mum of two premmies they were both born at 35 5d DS was 4lbs 12 ozs IUGR and spent about 48 hours in NICU and DD was 6lbs 2ozs and no complications. When DS was born my closest friend had her daughter born 14 weeks early and was 466 grams and 5 days older than my son.

My kids are nearly 10 and 5

How big were yours ?

Edited by kiwigal - 08 March 2013 at 3:43pm
Kate107941 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kate107941 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2013 at 1:10am
Hi there

I had been meaning to join the 'due March 2013' thread for ages, but ended up having my little girl early (at 34 weeks)...so it's wonderful to see this forum, and even nicer to see some familiar names!

Just wanted to say how amazingly strong all you women are.   I was a complete mess even with having my baby only 6 weeks early and it was just incredible to me how the mums with much younger babies managed to stay positive (and seeminly sane!).   

My little one was discharged a week ago, and I still can't believe she's actually, finally ours. She's still in her hospital routine (bless her) so it's been a very soft landing in terms of sleep etc, but I'm finding the expressing very hard going. Have just spent 30 minutes on the pump for a measly 30 mls. No chance of her ever being exclusively breastfed unfortunately!

Looking forward to hearing of your babies' progress xx
Minny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2013 at 2:27am
Hi Kate and Kiwigal,

Kiwigal, my boy weighed 980g at birth! Super tiny, but he's grown so much. I feel like I have a proper baby now!

I am enjoying rooming in with Isaac until he's heavy enough to go home. Love the hospital routine really as it means guaranteed sleep inbetween feeds, with the exception of right now when mr as decided he wants to be close to me and is currently using me as a dummy! So awesome really. Would be fine except my breast is super full and it would be great if he helped empty it so I have to express less off!

Kate, Sorry to hear you can't bf. have you tried Domperidome? I had only small quantities of milk until my MW prescribed that, now I am full on jersey, double cream I think!

I still express alot because he is unable to empty both at each feed, and totally hate it but hopefully it's not for too much longer.

Today I walked past a room and felt quite envious when I saw the infant capsule ready and waiting to go home for a baby born dring the night. It has taken me six weeks to get here and though a massive effort from my wee boy we still don't know when he's going home. On the other hand I am super grateful to have a routine and a very quiet baby!

Edited by Minny - 10 March 2013 at 2:30am

ginger22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2013 at 11:18am
Hi Kate, welcome :) a forum none of us wanted to be in but it great all the same!!

I shared a great link a lactation consultant gave me about hand expressing to boost supply I can give you if you want...it did wonders for me. as is blessed thistle and fenugreek (spelling) supplements

I have to say...enjoy the hospital routine while you can...and long may it last! ours is shot, but still trying to stick with it as we can

Just remember Minny, you will get there :)
JacquiDuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacquiDuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2013 at 8:20pm
Hi ladies!  Sorry ive been awol for a while - I have been keeping an eye on you all, just not quite up to writing.  Had a  few ups and downs with Marty - he went back onto the bubble cpap for a few days, and hadn't put on much weight at a weighing (had to have a fair few glasses of wine when he went back tot he bubble)  Was starting to feel like I'd never get my Marty home!  Also i had a space where everyone else I knew seemed to be going home with their babies...  and We're still in the ward!  But I've made a new bunch of SCBU buddies, so I've gotten over that hump!  All on the up now though - Marty is back on the Wellington CPAP, which means I'll be able to start breast feeding and bathing him again - that had been the hardest thing about reverting to the bubble, so I'm extra happy =-)  Marty was loving his breastfeeding, it was so hard seeing his frustration at not being allowed his booby!

Anyway, welcome to kiwigal and kate =-)  Kiwigal, my boy was born at 27 + 2 and was 955g, he is now 2284g =-)  he has just grown his first wee fat rolls on his arms!  
Minny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2013 at 7:13pm
Hey JD,

Sorry to hear that Marty has had a few ups and downs but awesome that he's up again now. I am sure he will continue to improve and be home soon. I can imagine how frustrating it is seeing all your buddies head home. When I left Middlemore, I was one of those in our "group" going home and left only one mum still there. Her wee girl is still on CPAP and struggling a little, so can tell you honestly from the other side of the fence that going home is bitter sweet in a way. My exit was tinged with fear, excitement, sadness and guilt all in one massive emotion! I do know that before you know it, it WILL be your turn.

Out of all of us you have had the longest journey so can fully appreciate your frustrations, but you are doing an amazing job...

AFM, I am still in the local maternity unit. Isaac lost almost 100g after going from fortified milk in the NICU to being exclusively breast fed with no fortifier and having to wake for every feed after he pulled out his nose tube. We are slowly climbing back up now, but it does get disheartening as we were so close to that magic 2kg mark.

We had to return to the NICU today for another eye test. I was so thankful that he got a good result, but still has to go for another test in three weeks when he will be closer to full tern before they will officially discharge him! I hate that eye test so am not looking forward to that but worth it to know he has a clear result at 40 weeks!

Red Rose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2013 at 11:06pm
Removed

Edited by Red Rose - 18 June 2013 at 6:17pm
Red Rose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2013 at 11:07pm
Removed

Edited by Red Rose - 18 June 2013 at 6:17pm
Minny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2013 at 3:09am
Hi Kate,

How often do you express? My mW said to express every two hours at first and eat and drink plenty. It did take a while but now my supply is awesome. How many do you take? I have 8 in 24hrs. I am still taking them, but only to finish what I was prescribed and while Isaac still takes relatively small feeds.

My boy is being a little ratbag tonight. He wants me to hold him while he sleeps. Lovely in principal but really not practical, especially at 3am! He is fed and clean so am trying a bit if self soothing. It's so hard not to pick him up, but he's not screaming, just fussing, and yawning his head off! He did this to me the other night too and I was still trying to get him to sleep four hours later! Lesson learned pretty fast!!!

Edited by Minny - 13 March 2013 at 3:11am

ginger22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2013 at 9:07am
JD I remember having tears when my boy went back under the jaundice lights for a second round, even though I knew it would only be a few days, so I definitely know what you mean. Yay for him loving the boob though, little trooper!!

Minny we are going through a little of that now, and yes, learnt pretty quick that lovely, but so so SO not practical to cuddle. I am successfully feeding him longer, until he starts dropping his eyes, and then we are good to go.

Hearing test today so in to the capsule and car again. only the second time since he has been home
Minny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2013 at 2:38pm
Well ladies, it looks like I may finally be heading home.

I have been in my local maternity unit for 9 days today nd to say it has not been smooth sailing is putting it lightly! We arrived here weighing 1990g, and with a few short days had plummeted to 1910g. He stopped giving me dirty nappies the day we got here, and then a whole day after that was giving me lovely green runny ones. I got many varied reasons for this from the midwives here, but nothing that put my mind at rest as he seemed to have a sore tummy, so "it's perfectly normal" didn't quite cut it!

His BF also went downhill and I received very little help from them.

Anxiety eventually got the better of me and once I started kicking off about wanting to go home they called in the community nurse who will be caring for us. Made me wish I had kicked off a little sooner as she is awesome. Put a new and do-able feeding plan in place, and gave me clear guidelines in the weight that needs to be achieved before I can go home.

So if my boy weighs 2kg tomorrow then we can go home. Admittedly this is a little earlier than they would like but DP's mum has terminal cancer and is going down pretty fast. I am desperate to get my boy home so she can see him. My nurse was so understanding and accommodating, it was quite emotional for me.

Of course I will be gutted if he's not at 2kg tomorrow, but then on the other hand it will definitely be the next day or couple of days after then so really the end is finally in sight for me!

I am still horribly disorganised in terms of linen and a few other bits and pieces, but pretty sure Isaac won't care!

Hope all you awesome mums are doing ok!

ginger22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2013 at 8:35pm
All I can say Minny is YAY!

Our little man lost weight when I first roomed in, but gained for me to be able to bring him home. He then only maintained the first few days at home, as there is a lot to adjust too.

Same old here...and loving it. Getting some more interaction and personality from my little man which we love. rough night last night with short sleeps and lots of feeding, so hoping tonight is a little more settled :)
JacquiDuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacquiDuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2013 at 7:18pm
Hi ladies!
So I've had an interesting week or so - Marty's tantrums got so bad for him (meant that he wasn't breathing properly and kept dropping his sats), other babies (as he kept waking them all up) and the nurses (they just didn't have the time to be able to cuddle him as much as he wanted when Iwasn't there)  that he was put into the isolation room so I could stay with him!  Lots less stimulation in there (that was one of the main problems when he was in witht he other babies), so he's way more settled and is doing so well!  He's now just on low flow oxygen, breast, bottle and gravity feeding, no more pumps!  It feels like we are finally on the down hill slope towards Marty coming home =-)

Great to hear Isaac is finally heading home too Minny - you must be stoked!
Hope everyone is well
xxx
Minny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2013 at 9:33pm
Jacqui, that really is so awesome. I can't wait for you to be able to take your boy home. You have had to wait the longest and I admire your strength! Yay for low flow, that's a big step in the right direction.... And so nice that you get to stay with him too.

I have been home since Saturday and am loving it. I didn't really enjoy my time at my local maternity unit, for so many reasons really, but mainly because they seemed too blasé when Isaac kept loosing weight. He lost almost 100g and although some weight loss was expected, I would rather be proactive at the first loss and not still be waiting and seeing at the third drop. Anyway, I kicked off enough to spur people into action and things improved so much that I got home in two days!

Since being home we have had one nurse visit already and he gained 80g so I was pretty stoked! The nurse was very happy with him. He's very settled and is sleeping and feeding well, except that I can have a little trouble latching him on and it was getting very stressful. But she gave me a few tips and things are a little better now.

JD, do you use a nipple shied, or latch Marty straight on?

Peppermint, Kate... How are you both getting on?

Edited by Minny - 19 March 2013 at 9:36pm

ginger22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2013 at 1:38pm
Not so much the dropping stats part...but JD, such fierce tantrums from Marty is very impressive! He is a wee man who clearly knows what he wants and needs. I am glad to hear you are getting to room in with him, things have improved and you are on the home straight.

yay for being home Minny, that is so cool. Good to hear you have both settled and Issac is back to gaining weight.

same same here...sleeping and feeding :) we are getting some more awake time though which is great. hanging out for the first 'real' smile :)
still demand feeding and at 3 hours, give or take. Found out that our babe is sitting just under 50th percentile for prem babies, with the nurse opening with 'I don't want to scare you but...'
and that freaked me out for a while.

our 160g weight gains seem so piddly compared to the gains the babes are having in the other forum, but the nurse said he is great, and we can not expect those big gains from a smaller babe the way he is...I hope so!
Minny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2013 at 7:20pm
Peppermint, I wouldn't worry about the smaller weight gains. I have been told that they look for 20g a day minimum and anything over this is fantastic. Our boys have had a much harder battle and use all their energy to feed so its great if they are feeding enough to gain weight.

I haven't actually asked which percentile Isaac is in, but the nurse is visiting tomorrow so must remember to ask. Before he was born he was sitting well below the 10th percentile so anything over this I will be happy with. My wee boy was only 25cm long when he was born, and has almost doubled that now at 46cm . I am not worried at this stage though as the nurse was really happy with him when she visited on Monday.

Took him out for a bit today and was mortified that a woman, surprised by this tiny baby in the capsule, practically stuck her face right in next to him. I practically bolted out of the store. Next time I will drape a muslin wrap over the capsule to hide my teeny boy from weird ladies!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>