FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedExcl pumping wanting to excl breastfeed help plz

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Christina135349 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christina135349 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Excl pumping wanting to excl breastfeed help plz
    Posted: 17 December 2013 at 10:15pm
Hi everyone I need some help. Little one has been exclusively drinking pumped breast milk for 5 weeks. Baby sometimes drinks from a nipple shield but he doesn't like it very much. I have also tried to put him on my breast but my nipples are a little flat (use to be inverted 5 weeks ago!) and he doesn't open his mouth wife enough or stay on. But for a minute on and off he will suck. I don't have milk supply issues though I wonder if the let down is too full on for him.

My lactation consultant told me to get him to suck on my nipple shield for 15-20 mins each feed but I found doing it made his feed almost an hour long and with the need to pump as well took me almost 2 hours to do one feeding. By then I had to feed again or had to feed earlier and pumping was missed out. My milk went down as I tried this for a few days. To be honest I was too tired to continue doing it and went back to just pumping and feeding.

Now that I have a better handle on motherhood I wanted to do try again but I don't want to go through weening off a nipple shield. If rather go from bottle fed exclusively to breast fed exclusively.

Anyone know how best to do this or if there's a way to do this?

I'm dying to get this sorted as I have to return my rented pump next week. I originally was going to stop breast milk and go straight to formulae when this happened. But I really want to give it another go. I'd love to breastfeed if I could for as long as possible I no longer want to go to formula.

Please help!
Sponsored Links

Nic03 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nic03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2013 at 11:08pm
Hi there,

I exclusively pumped for the first 11 weeks with my little girl. I couldn't get her to latch, and I had very flat nipples. - I didn't like using the breast shields. At about 9 weeks, she kind of worked out what she needed to do. I think it was because I was more relaxed to be honest and she was a little more coordinated. I started with one breast feed a day and continued to express.

I just made sure we had lots of skin to skin time and made sure she wasn't to hungry

Good luck xx
nani123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nani123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2013 at 9:38pm
Try plunket, I went to their family centre in north shore (sure they should have something similar in other places as well) and you stay there for the morning/afternoon and the nurses/lactation consultant will help you with each feed. They also help you to get baby to nap etc so it is a casual day where you just focus on feeding your baby. I went two times and it really helped a lot.
 Post Reply Post Reply