FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedhas anyone had or going through IVF with ICSI?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
poppy101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poppy101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2014 at 4:56pm
Wow, ok thanks for the info.
Yeah I guess it won't break the bank but im just scared of it not working.
How did you find the whole process? I hope you don't mind me asking but what were your fertility issues that required ICSI?
Sponsored Links

Stickybean138999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickybean138999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2014 at 10:53pm
Hi Poppy,

Sperm problem. My husband's sperm motility is very unstable, poor most of the time. The process was easy and straight forward, don't worry about the injections, hurt very little just like insect bites. Only when you do the trigger injection and othe other ones with thicker needles, allow a small angle so the needle goes in a lot quicker, spare you from the screaming and tears. Good sleep, keep calm, do your best and the rest of it is luck
eclaire222 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eclaire222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2014 at 5:20pm
Hi Poppy,

I'm in Wellington too. I plan to start my first ICSI cycle in a couple of months time after I feel my body and mind is ready for it. It's taken me a long time to accept that we have to go down this path. We have to do ICSI as my husband has zero sperm count most likely from an obstruction.

I'm currently doing acupuncture to calm the spirit and plan to do yoga too. FA will be putting me on the short cycle - I think because I am in good health. We're going private.
poppy101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poppy101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2014 at 10:00pm
Hey lills22,
thanks so much for your reply. We are planning on doing acupuncture too and have our first consultation in september. Ive been recommended to go katrina gascoyne out in mana who specializes in infertility so we will how that goes. I totally understand about getting in the right mindset, this is also nothing I thought I'd have to do. Its mainly the antibodies that are affecting our fertility. Can I ask how old u are and where abouts in wellington are u? Im 28, and we are with mark stegman at wellington FA.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eclaire222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2014 at 8:19am
Hi Poppy

The acupuncturist I'm seeing Janine at City Osteopaths. My periods have been quite irregular due to stress so hopefully acupuncture and acceptance of the situation will sort that out.

I'm in my early 30's and based in Eastern suburbs. I'm also seeing Mark Stegman.

What other things are you doing to look after yourself to prepare for the process? Also, do you plan to tell friends and family about what you're going through?

Edited by Lills222 - 20 July 2014 at 8:40am
Icecream View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icecream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2014 at 9:16am
Hi ladies, I have been following this thread.
In Otago and currently on long protocol for ivf - CD1 having been on the pill and finished on Thursday, first blood test Tuesday and then into the good drugs
I'm 32 and after all the tests seem to only have pcos
I have been reading up on things that could help and something I will be doing is only eating and drinking warm or room temperature food and drinks and keeping my feet nice and warm! I am generally always cold and living down south is cold!
We have not told friends and family, some close friends knew about my lap but not details of everything else, after 4 years we are use to it
poppy101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poppy101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2014 at 10:11am
Hi lills and icecream,
lills, how do u find mark? Ive only met him the once and at first I thought he was a little blunt but after a while he started to be really friendly and quite funny. My first cycle isn't until feb, as we are going public funding, but have started to watch what I eat a bit and start basis exercise too, like swimming and walking more often. Im also hoping the acupuncture will help with relaxing. I have heard good things about it and she is going to do acupuncture on my boyfriend too to try and assist with the antibodies.
Icecream, I also heard about the warm drinks n food thingy too, which I will try and remember, I also heard to avoid hot showers and baths?
Um, my sister and mum know about the ivf and only 2 close friends, who one is also going through ivf herself next yr. I personally find it less stressful with a few people knowing, because if im having a depressing day I know I can have a wee cry, especially to my mum and sister who are very supportive.
Icecream goodluck with your cycle!! Wishing you the best of luck. Lills, it is so good to have someone else from wellington going through the same thing. Is there anything wrong with you or is it just sperm issues? I also have mild endo which doesnt help things so I guess I'll just have to see what happens.
Charlie6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2014 at 3:00pm
Hi ladies,
We have done three full ivf cycles over the past year and 2 frozen embryo transfers. The first 2 cycles were short, but the last one we did was long protocol and it went much much better for us (we had 5 embryos fertilise normally out of 9, and 4 of the 5 made it to blastocysts for freezing.) We have also been doing accupuncture and feel that this has helped hugely in the quality of our eggs - although it is quite pricey. We were recomended to do weekly accupuncture for at least 3 months before starting the ivf cycle. We havent needed to do ICSI, but the while process is the same up until the eggs go to the lab and they inject them with the sperm rather than let the sperm do their thing.
I agree with the other ladies that the injections etc aren't too bad, it's more the emotional roller coaster that is the problem (although i was very positive and optimistic the first time around, it gets harder to stay so positive!). We finally got a positive result last month, but have just found that we have had a missed miscarriage, so will be trying again in a month or so with another of our frozen embryos.
I would say be prepared to be moved up the list, on our first public funded cycle we had been given a date, but luckily got a space 8 months earlier than we originally thought! Sorry for the long post! Good luck to everyone x
poppy101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poppy101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2014 at 3:20pm
Hey charlie,
thanks for sharing your journey and so sorry to hear about the recent mc. Wow moved up 8mths is huge! FA told me I could be moved up maybe 1 mth earlier but highly unlikely because of my age? I'd love for it to start earlier than feb, so fingers crossed.
How do they decide whether you do a long or short protocol, and which is best? And can u choose whether they transfer one or two embryos?
Its great to hear that u think acupuncture has helped in your situation. Do u mind me asking what your fertility issues are?
Charlie6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2014 at 3:29pm
Ours are unexplained - hubby has 'gold star sperm' apparently! I'm through FA Auckland, and and 29. We asked for 2 embryos to be transferred but they said no way! Even when we paid for a private cycle they would only transfer 1. I think it's normal to do the short protocol, which is what we did the first 2 times, but the cycles didn't go well for us, and the egg quality wasn't great, so he recomended trying a longer cycle and the results were dramatically better for us. We also got moved up the list a few months for our 2nd public funded cycle, so I'll keep my fingers crossed you get moved up too!
poppy101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poppy101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2014 at 4:27pm
Thats interesting about the one embryo transfer then, must just be standard in nz or could be to do with age. Im 28 so guess it'll be one too. Hmmm, I really do hope we get bumped up, feb seems like a long way away but I know it'll go fast, this year is flying by. Thanks for sharing your advise
SweetConception View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SweetConception Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2014 at 7:31pm
Hi Poppy. FAs "Pathways to a child" book (which you should get a copy of sometime before your cycle) says that single embryo transfer is mandatory for females under 35yrs on their first or second publicly funded cycle. (And strongly encouraged in most other situations).
Beautiful girl born March 2016 after 7 years TTC
epictraveller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote epictraveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2014 at 8:15pm
Hey Charlie I'm really intrigued about the difference between short and long protocols for you! I've done IVF's where I was on the pill for about 3-4 weeks then did Gonal F and Cetrotide for 10 days to two weeks. I'm not sure what this qualifies as but I think it's short protocol? What did you do in your long protocol?

Angel babies April 2013, Nov 2013

IVF #1 Nov 2013-CP
IVF #2 May 2014-BFN
IVF #3 Feb 2015-BFN
DS Jun 2015-BFN
Oct 16 -Natural BFP!

TTC #2
Icecream View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icecream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2014 at 10:12pm
Epic I am on the long protocol
Ava30 the pill for a cycle
During that I started 40ml of buresline a day
I am cd 1 today and due a blood test Tuesday,
Then Thursday (I think - can't reach my notes) I start gonal f at 225 and drop the buresline to 20ml

I think the long cycle just shuts everything down so you get a better baseline to build it back up

If you have been in the pill does that not mean the long protocol? As short is just starting in a normal day 1?

I am not 100% sure why I am in the long one, I know I am getting a higher does of gonal f (think this is to ensure my eggs respond?)

Just a waiting game I guess
poppy101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poppy101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2014 at 10:57pm
Hi sweet conception, I remember now after u mentioned the book, thought it was to do with age.
Ive had my first consultation back in jan this year, so when am I likely to hear from FA again before starting my first publicly funded cycle?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eclaire222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2014 at 10:01am
Hi Poppy

I've only met him once. Yes, I found him a bit blunt too but more warm as the appointment progressed. As we're going private, I'm hoping I will get a BFP on my first cycle.

There isn't anything wrong with me just sperm issues.

All we can do is stay positive. Kind of kicking myself for being so upset about it for so long so really making sure I stay positive till I'm due for treatment.

It's good you have till February. Lots of time to work on your diet and prepare your body
Charlie6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2014 at 9:21pm
Same as what Icecream said, the whole process of the long protocol was about 6 weeks. Starting with going on the pill, then injections after that. With the short protocol we started injections on day 2.
Our Dr at FA also said they only put one embryo in as the risks with multiples aren't worth it - higher risk of miscarriage, preterm labour and complications, hospiitalisations etc...
poppy101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poppy101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2014 at 9:47pm
Hey lills and charlie,
yeah guess starting in feb does give me time to get organised and prep my body. Lills, im sure your treatment will go well and everything will work out good for you. I know its stressful to think about what if it doesn't work, that is my biggest fear in all of this.. of it not working.
Charlie, I can understand why they'd only put one embryo in, I just thought if they'd put 2 in I'd have a better chance of success, but guess it doesn't work that way.
Charlie6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2014 at 10:39pm
Yeah I know we would have liked 2 to go back in but really we just need one to work to have a healthy baby... Try not to worry too much about it working the first time - hopefully it does for you ladies but know that if it doesn't work you can keep trying! I know I was adamant the first cycle for us would work and when it didn't I was a bit broken for a while, but have gotten stronger and been through some sh*t over the past year TTC... I just know that when it finally does happen (and I am positive that one day it will) I will be that much more grateful, appreciative and patient!
epictraveller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote epictraveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2014 at 6:06am
So true Charlie! Ice cream I only had tiny doses of Gonal F, 150 on my last one! I have never done buseline though. We gave four weeks till our next appointment with them and we need to decide what to do, I don't want to spend $10k on a cycle that only gets one embryo again!

Angel babies April 2013, Nov 2013

IVF #1 Nov 2013-CP
IVF #2 May 2014-BFN
IVF #3 Feb 2015-BFN
DS Jun 2015-BFN
Oct 16 -Natural BFP!

TTC #2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>