FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIVF side effects

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rose216037 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rose216037 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IVF side effects
    Posted: 27 September 2016 at 10:59pm
Hi,

We are planning to go for IVF in next month. But we are not sure about side effects due to medications.

Can you please share your experiences? Are there any side effects on hair and body etc.? Thank you.

Your answers will help us make up our mind.

Sponsored Links

Storm11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Storm11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2016 at 11:51am
Hi Rose, I have done IVF twice and both times didn't really have too much side effects, I think I had a bit of a headache for the first couple of days as my body was getting used to it all, and some bloating once I got closer to egg collection.
I think typically the most common side effects are usually the likes of headaches, bloating, breast tenderness, and maybe mood swings but nothing really on skin and hair.

Best of luck!
TTC #2 6+ yrs. Multiple chemical losses, 4 IVF rounds, multiple FET's. Fingers still crossed for a miracle to come our way
CrafteaChic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrafteaChic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2016 at 4:32pm
Hi Rosie,

The side effects are very different for everyone - and also depends on what combo of drugs you're on as there are different protocols you can do within IVF - and also different clinics prescribe different drugs. What Storm says is about right for the general side effects, I've had all of them to varying degrees, and some drugs made me tired & achy in general. The only thing that effected my skin was progesterone - & it made my skin really good!

Good luck for your cycle :)
TTC 10/11
IVF#1 3/13 6frosties
1xChem,1xMiscarriage,4xBFN, 3xCancelledFETs
IVF#2 3/15 BFN
IVF#3 8/15 BFN
IVF#4 10/15 CP,2frosties
IVF#5 02/16 2frosties,PGS on 4 frosties,1 normal,tx=MC7wks
IVF#6 12/16
Karlie201349 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karlie201349 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2016 at 6:43pm
I'm on day 8 of meds, and the only side effect for my is tiredness, I'm exhausted an hour after getting up in the morning. This has only started in last 3 days and was thinking it was to do with doing two injections a day. Actually now that I think about it I'm quite emotional today as well, although could be to do with being so tired

Edited by Karlie201349 - 21 October 2016 at 8:14pm
Flora2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flora2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2016 at 10:00am
I am on day 5 of meds, the first couple of days I felt quite over-heated and had aching in my upper thighs and was very thirsty. The third day I developed a rash on my stomach which was a worry, maybe a minor reaction, but got under control with ointment. The last two days I have felt fine, just very thirsty and get over-heated quite easily. I am hoping things may settle down now
luha226083 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luha226083 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2018 at 8:04pm
Although you may need to take it easy after the procedure, most women can resume normal activities the following day.
Some side effects after IVF may include: passing a small amount of fluid (may be clear or blood-tinged) after the procedure, mild cramping, mild bloating, constipation, breast tenderness.
If you experience any of the following symptoms, call your doctor immediately: heavy vaginal bleeding, pelvic pain, blood in the urine, a fever over 100.5 °F (38 °C).
Some side effects of fertility medications may include: headaches, mood swings, abdominal pain, hot flashes, abdominal bloating.
RARE: Ovarian hyper-stimulation syndrome (OHSS).
Ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS) is a reaction to fertility drugs that can potentially be fatal. It causes your ovaries to grow large and may lead to fluid leaking into your abdomen. About one-third of women may have OHSS in a mild form which typically goes away on its own. But some women may experience moderate or severe OHSS.
In rare cases, it can even be life-threatening – in less than 1% of women, it has been found to cause kidney failure and blood clots. Women who develop severe OHSS usually do so during the course of the week after their eggs have been retrieved. And since it can have dangerous consequences, it is important to watch out for the symptoms and see your doctor immediately should you experience them. The symptoms of OHSS include:
Stomach pains and a swollen stomach
Nausea and vomiting
Feeling faint
Reduced urination
Shortness of breath.
During the very first stage of IVF when fertility medicines are usually used to induce ovulation, you might experience:
Bruising: Mild soreness and bruising can occur where fertility medicines are injected. Injecting the medicines at different spots can help minimize the issue to some extent.
Feeling sick: Nausea and vomiting may occur at this stage.
Allergic reaction: Some people experience brief allergic reactions, like itching or reddened skin at the spot where the medicines are injected.
Tender breasts: Breast tenderness is another side effect of using fertility medicines. You can also have increased vaginal discharge.
Fatigue and mood swings: These are other side effects experienced during this phase.
During the egg retrieval process, a thin long needle guided by vaginal ultrasound is inserted into the ovary through the vagina to remove eggs. You may experience mild or moderate pain in your abdomen or pelvic area during or after the procedure. This typically goes away in a day or two.
But this is a surgical procedure and one that involves navigating the needle through delicate tissue into your ovary. One possible complication is injury to organs and tissue situated near your ovaries like your bladder or bowel. Pelvic infection can also develop. But this complication is usually rare because antibiotics are given during the procedure to minimize risks. In case an infection does develop, you may be given intravenous antibiotics to treat it. In rare cases, your ovaries, tubes, or uterus may need to be removed to manage an infection.
You may want to have a discussion with your loved ones before treatment begins, describing the common side effects and discuss ways that they will be able to support you. Perhaps they can take over some things that you generally do, such as prepare meals or run errands, to lighten the burden during this time.
You may also need to take some time off work, especially the time around egg collection. Eggs are generally retrieved under light sedation or anaesthetic, and you may have discomfort for a few days following the procedure.
Hopefully, any side effects that you do encounter will be minimal, and that they are the result of a successful treatment!
lenabr199848 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lenabr199848 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2019 at 9:56am
Hi, I am happy to have none. In my opinion, it might depend on your doc and their experience
Me 38, DH 42
#1IVF - BNF, no implantation
#2IVF - BNF, mc
changed clinics, 1st appointment Gdansk - June 2018
#3IVF - Gdansk Poland, Dec 2018
pagerlvy33237502 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pagerlvy33237502 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 8:02am
I really do think that it depends on many factors. And some docs prescribe some unfortunate stimulation meds that may cause some headaches etc. but overall there are women who go through the stimms easily and do not have any issues whatsoever.

Everyone is different.
Good luck!
xx
 Post Reply Post Reply