FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedEC - The nappy free baby. Who does it?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Imogen222072 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imogen222072 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EC - The nappy free baby. Who does it?
    Posted: 21 April 2017 at 9:18pm
Hi there!

I am due my first baby in October and I am super excited!

I am really keen on the idea and principles behind EC (elimination communication). We are from the UK but now based in Palmerston North and I just wondered if it is popular in New Zealand? I can see there seem to be some support groups in Auckland and Wellington but not much else!

So I thought to myself how am I going to find other people who have gone through it or who are also looking to start and how can we support each other and share stories. Then I thought I would find a forum! Hence this being my first ever post here.

I even did a search of the forum and nothing seems to come up. So please please if you do it/want to do it please get in touch! I would love to know your experiences and get advice on where to buy training undies for small babies and suitable potties ect!
Sponsored Links

Anna222074 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anna222074 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2017 at 9:55pm
Imogen,

That definitely sounds like a challenge :-) Great thing is you have a summer baby so he won't need many clothes - I think that will make it a lot easier. So EC sounds like a mixture between sign language and potty-training - but I have never heard of anyone successfully starting that before at least the age of 4 months. I recently went to a great talk by the Nappy Lady, which was both hilarious and really helpful - but focussed much more on reusable nappies. http://www.thenappylady.co.nz/ This may be a useful stepping stone to your EC ambitions when the little critter is several months old, able to see more than 18 inches away and more receptive to its surroundings.

PS. we are moving to Palmy in June with a newborn (touch-wood)! Would love to find other new mums and dads to talk to.
Imogen222072 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imogen222072 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2017 at 10:36pm
Hi Anna

Thanks for your message! Great that you are moving to Palmy! We love living here :)

I have just been reading a book called 'the diaper free baby' which advocates that you can start EC from a new born up to around 18 months, but earlier the better if it works for your lifestyle! Have a look into it :D I have also met a lady who said her baby was dry from 6 months onwards through EC. So I don't doubt that it works and I can't wait to give it a try!

I follow the nappy lady on facebook. I really want to go to one of her talks but she has recently stopped doing them in Palmerston North frustratingly, so we may have to head to Whanganui for an evening. We will certainly use cloth nappies as precautions when needed. I want to steer clear from disposables as much as possible.
Anna222074 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anna222074 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2017 at 3:52pm
Hi Imogen! Nappy Lady talk is worth it - I laughed so hard it hurt my tummy. Also landfilling situation here is so awful - after that talk we started going all out on cleaning our recycling stream and bringing soft plastics to the supermarket. I will definitely find that book - thank you.
Lulu2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lulu2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2017 at 7:55pm
I also had diaper free baby book, but didn't actually follow it that much. There are some really good basics that are helpful regardless of how you do toileting... eg get into routines of sitting on potty for fun with and without pants on (playtime can be on potty once bubs is able to climb on and off themselves), lots of bare bum time, using the toilet or potty at regular times eg after every meal and after every sleep... its almost a certainty you will manage to get some wee and even poo into the toilet this way.

We used reusable nappies and my boy was out of nappies completely at 18 months, with only very occasional accidents. Every kid is different but i do think that some of these tips above helped heaps (you will almost certainly need to get your carpets cleaned after toilet training, we had plenty of no nappy accidents when he was little...)
I have a beautiful son (3yo) amd ttc since September 2014. MMC September 2016.
 Post Reply Post Reply