FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedtoilet training anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 21>
Author
nictoddie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nictoddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2007 at 11:36am
Well done sounds like he is doing great
Sponsored Links

jack_&_charli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2007 at 3:17pm
well i don't know what to do.
jack knows the word 'toilet' and what it is and where it is, just doesn't do anything in it. he is always taking his nappy off and running around with no pants on, pissing on the carpet. he doesn't seem to put 'toilet' and 'pee' together, today when he pee'd on the floor he was saying it was raining!
should i just continue sellotaping his nappy on (we may try cloth on him too) and wait a bit longer to TT him or put him in undies? he has a couple of pairs and has worn them a few times but 5-10mins after i put them on, he wets them
i've put him on the toilet a few times and he sits there ok now, but doesn't do anything. like today, he said it was raining so i looked at him and he'd started to 'dribble' so i rushed him off to the toilet and sang the abc's and practised the counting. he was on for about 5mins and then wanted off but still hadn't done anything. i then put him in bed for a nap with a cloth nappy on, which he didn't like, but that's another story......
well that was a long question huh! any advice greatly appreciated ladies

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2007 at 4:19pm
A lot of children take a lot of getting used to the toilet before they can relax enough to "let go". Sounds like he's still warming up to it. Perhaps you can get one of those toddler seats or use a potty? And I'd keep the nappies on until he gets the connection

PS I read somewhere that a lot of boys don't get it until they are 3. Not syure if you wanted to know that or not tho
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2007 at 4:23pm
he might be a bit young yet...maybe keep him in nappies for a bit longer but get him used to the toilet too maybe by putting him on in the mornings and before bed or bath at night. we did this for gabriel for a while with nothing happening but you could see his confidence increasing about the whole thing. and it started good habits off like washing hands after etc...

my2angels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my2angels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2007 at 4:27pm
well the only advice i have is what we did with kobe. It worked for us so might be worth a try.

No nappies except for naps and night time. Buy heaps of undies for a start. Then in the morning put him on the toilet and see if he will go then get him dressed in undies (helps to leave pants off unless you are going out cos its easier for them to just get undies off quickly) Dont go back to nappies no matter how tempting it is so i would wait till you can spend at least a week reasonably close to home or at least only at places your not worried if he has an accident. The first week he will wet himself heaps and you will be thinking you have started to early, by the second week it might just be once or twice a day and the third week will be sweet (roughly that time line anyway) Dont go back to nappies once you make the decision cos he might get confused, if he wets his undies then its uncomfortable and he will soon realise to go to the toilet. Always have a potty or step stool in front of the toilet so he can race there himself and even put a potty in the back of your car if you need to. We did a sticker chart but had ditched that by the end of the week cos he wasnt really interested. Well thats all my advice and what we did with Kobe. He was out of nappies completely, including night time nappies within a month and its very rare for us to have an accident. Normally its if ive put pants on him that are to tight for him to get them off in a hurry. Oh and I would sit him on the toilet every hour or so.
my2angels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my2angels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2007 at 4:29pm
Hehe just realised that goes against all the other advice you have been given but as i said its just what worked for us. Oh and ive discovered boys 'dribble' just before they poo so its always a good warning to get them to the toilet.
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2007 at 6:18pm
I got Andrew a 10 pack of undies from K Mart as they worked out the cheapest and if the got ruined it didn't matter so much money wise. Once we had made the decision to TT it was undies during the day and a nappy at night, till we got the pull ups. We never went back to nappies at all as I had been told it can confuse them. We did the sticker chart thing - can always try it to see how he goes with one. We started the sticker chart with plain stickers for wees and special stickers for poos as we were really trying to get him to do poos on the toilet. Maybe if you try the sticker chart get some stickers of something he likes to go on the chart and maybe some plain ones to go on his hand or top. We had the sticker chart right by the toilet door so he could see how well he was doing. When the sticker chart was full Andrew got a Thomas DVD so he knew that he was working towards something he wanted. I'm pretty sure Andrew was about Jack's age when we started with him.
I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
nictoddie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nictoddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2007 at 6:43pm
I would say yup boys do tend to take longer, to me it sounds like he is not ready but if you can bare with lots of accidents you have to be really patient, i was told that boys are less control muscles than girls that is why it takes longer for them to get it , my boy is 3.5 and he as only just done tt in the last 3 weeks I was like you and would put him on the potty he'd sit there for 20 mins half hour quite happy get off and pee his pants
jack_&_charli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2007 at 7:29pm
i think i'll leave him a little longer and see if he gets the meaning of 'peeing'. i've started putting him in cloth nappies now as charli is in them full time so i can't see the point in paying for sposies for jack when he can use charli's one sz cloths. and it's a good excuse to get some more cool nappies
i've got stamps to put on his hand when he does go on the toilet but will leave it for another month and see.

robyn, funny you mention about 'dribble' before poo...i put him down for a nap straight after and when i got him up he'd pooed

my2angels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my2angels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2007 at 7:46pm
Yeah its one of those things that a female wouldnt know. Ive had to ask my husband a couple of times 'is this what you guys do' now know way more about guys than i really needed to

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2007 at 9:16am
First night of no pull up and a dry night . I did get him up around 10pm to go to the toilet and i'm going to contiune doing that for a while.
I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2007 at 9:23am
Well done Andrew!!!
my2angels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my2angels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2007 at 9:37am
thats great! well done Andrew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2007 at 12:23pm

Just an update. Andrew is now 5 nights no "special undies" (pull ups) and no accidents.

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2007 at 4:07pm
way to go..

i have brought a poo present for gabriel for when he finally does poos on the toilet...

my2angels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my2angels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2007 at 5:15pm
Well done Andrew
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2007 at 9:05pm
I found stamps on the hand were a graeat incentitive for the child with the goldfish like memory. we also put stickers on the calendar for dry days. i initially gave him a present for "five dry days" etc, but he didn't really get the assoication. we started tting the day jake turned two and are still battling with poos. Most days are dry, but i swear, he saves his poos for naptime and bedtime so he can say "poos mum" and then come out and have a bit more playtime....every bloody day! and I've treid chaging his naptimes and putting him on the loo - doesn't matter the time - which makes me think he has a lot more bowel control than I give him credit for!
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2007 at 9:15pm
Liz - Han is the same at bedtime. Even if she has done poos only an hour beforehand... I swear she actively tries to push them out to stay up longer! ARGH! Drives me absolutely mad.
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2007 at 10:13pm
well i think we have had a poo success tonight. hubby went to change him into his nappy for bed and he had dirty undies so we put him on the toilet in case there was more to come - and i wasnt looking but i heard a small splash and gabriel had a strange look on his face... so i took that as success.!!! Yay.

so now i have made up a sign for the toilet with a lollipop attached for the next poo success.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2007 at 2:24pm

Yay I can pack away the pull ups. Andrew has taken to holding it in like a fish to water and i'm going to put them away (a whole packet minus 1) so when it comes time we have them for the next one. First thing Andrew does when he wakes up is come in to my bed, says "I woke up" and then goes off to the toilet. I'm very proud of my boy, especially after the MIL tells me he may have the same problems her eldest had and wasn't nighttime TT until 6. Sorry but my boy doesn't have the mental issues your eldest has, (I don't like my BIL at all hes a mental health nurse working in the same ward he is an out patient in) i'm thinking of getting him something for being able to hold it in overnight but can't think of what to get him. He loves Thomas and we have a number of Thomas things for him in a Thomas bag for when the baby comes so I may have to go and have a look at the DVD's again.

How are the poos in the toilet going gsmum???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 21>