FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTips for Breastfeeding and Milk Supply

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 20>
Author
fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tips for Breastfeeding and Milk Supply
    Posted: 25 March 2007 at 8:37pm
I thought I'd start a new thread, where we could all put down our tips for helping all you new mums with feeding and supply.. A few of us on here have had some real problems in the past with feeding, but sorted it out one way or another. Lots of us seem to have expressed and bottle fed as well as breast fed, so I thought we could pass on some inspiration...

FYI: My problem (really edited version) was Jacob could feed, but refused to, and also, I got no milk in.   With the help of Domperidone and expressing, I was able to feed him my own milk, until I got him on the breast finally at 6 weeks, with the help of a lactation consultant and perserverance. Have had no problems at all this time around, and have had more milk than I knew what to do with. Lactation consultant said it was perserevering with feeding Jacob that laid down receptors for milk making for this baby, hence being able to feed without the help of drugs and pumps!

Anyhow. My big tips

Oatmeal and almonds and loads of water for milk production. Also brewers yeast, or, even a beer. There are lots of natural aids you can take as well. Alot of supply problems are percieved, your body actually makes most of the milk after you have started feeding.
Make sure you get lots of rest. Dosent have to be sleep, just rest.
Don't forget to eat
If you can, spend a day in bed, just you and baby, feeding all day. The best breast pump is your baby.

The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
Sponsored Links

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2007 at 10:01pm
the more baby feeds the more is stimulated, if baby has a crappy feed when sick.. express off the rest to keep up the supply otherwise you'll find that it drops to what baby currently is taking. If you are really having issues with supply and can't get baby to drink more often, then express in between, any milk you express of is replaced within an hour or so usually, so this for a day and see what happens, usually within 24 - 48 hrs milk supply will have increased.. but if baby wants to feed in the first early weeks - let it, the reason it wants to feed so often is so it increases supply and grows. Newborn tummy only holds 20 mls.. so is full quick and empty quick.

Someone pointed something out to me the other day.. how many adults go for 6 hours or more without food, or drink.. even during the night we wake and have a drink or something, usually people eat no less than 8 times a day, some have up to 14 - 15 snacks and drinks etc.. why on earth do we expect our babies to "sleep through the night" or withold their feeds in the hopes it might work.. when they are trying to double their birthweight by 6 mths of age, lol. adults eat far more often and i'm pretty sure none of us are trying to grow at all, let alone as quickly as what they are. I found that very interesting.

The other thing i found was i got low blood sugars alot when feeding and would feel funny and get the shakes some times while feeding. so started having a barley sugar to suck on while feeding, and would have toast and milo with nearly every feed in the early days too.

Most supply problems are usually caused by poor latch meaning baby doesn't stimulate the breast enough.. if in doubt check it out and get help to make sure they're on properly.

I wish i knew this stuff when i was feeding my babys
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

SuziE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuziE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2007 at 8:46am
Im finding power shakes help alot - complan, banana and an egg with milk in the blender - I have one for breakfast and sometimes afternoon tea if Im feeling 'drained' ...

I agree on the Lots of water too ... if I forget to drink I really notice the difference ....

Andie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2007 at 10:06am

Drinking plenty of water is easier if you somehow measure how much you're drinking - that way you can see when you haven't had enough some days and know to gulp some back.  I used a dish in the kitchen with shells in it (random, I know!) - each morning I'd empty it out and for each glass of water I'd put a shell back in.  Quantifying it helped me keep my intake up. 

And eat lots!  I get the low blood sugars thing Janine described too - by the time it gets to that point, you're left feeling crappy for about half an hour after you've eaten again.  If that's happening, try not to let it get to that point (and it doesn't take much with the amount us breasfeeding mum's need to eat!).  Keeping dried fruit (dried whole bananas look hideous but taste good and work a treat) or a meusli bar in the nappy bag is a good idea. 

Andie
daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2007 at 1:01pm
Crackers or pretzels are good to snack on too. A bit of protein can give you a kick if you're starting to feel drained - scrambled eggs were always my favourite.

Lightly beat an egg with 1/2 eggshell of milk or water, tip into a normal bowl and microwave for 1 min on high. Beat lightly and repeat if there is any liquid in the bottom of the bowl.

ETA: When cooking beyond the first minute, do it for shorter periods (20 seconds is ideal) or risk having the whole thing go "pop!" in your microwave, making a big mess!

Edited by daikini
Becca, mum of 2 girls & 3 boys
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2007 at 3:40pm
I have to say for me it has been drinking a heap of water has kept me going with BF. I have found that expressing a bit off everyday has kept us going at night when the supply hasn't got as much "fat" in it.
I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2007 at 12:35pm
The background to my feedings probs with Han (many of you have heard this all before!)
After having a huge and hungry baby, I was devastated to find that I had little to no colostrum and definitely no milk. The midwives I had up at the hospital were fabulous and we ended up having to express a few drops of colostrum and feed that into a tube into Hannah's mouth - and then ended up giving her formula top ups. I maintained that the top-ups were just that - to keep her from starving until my milk came in... but that also required keeping Hannah on each breast for 5 minutes every 3 hours to help stimulate milk production. This hurt like a mo' fo' but was absolutely essential. Anyway, finally on the 3rd day my milk came in! Over-freaking-joyed at finally being able to feed my babe and ditched the formula - must to the Lactation Consultant's delight.

And the tips - having baby on the breast is the best way to stimulate milk production - psychologically and physically. While a breastpump does a great replacement job, if possible - get babe on boob.

The pain does go away. I promise.

Eating scroggin mix is a great way to spend time while feeding.

Get Sky Digital - it's the only thing that kept me sane while feeding at 3am. Normal TV just doesn't cut it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2007 at 1:25pm
Roger that on the sky digital, Nikki, although I am almost ready to ring them and tell them to stick it as there has been nothing but crap on during the day... Even nat geo/discovery/history/documentry and my beloved E...
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2007 at 1:27pm
DVDs?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2007 at 1:31pm
meh, who can be bothered fannying about setting it all up when baby is gasping for a drink. I have a big supply of books and mags next to my feeding chair, but often, I just sit and gaze at my feeding piggy..
aussiegirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussiegirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2008 at 11:26am
I thought I would BUMP this up for us new mums
Mum to Hayley **30.6.08
first View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2008 at 4:12pm
This is a fantastic resource. Thanks all you experienced mums. I'm just going through the ouch that hurts stage but haven't had any problems so far which I am so thankful for.

weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2008 at 8:01pm
Hi ladies! Personally my background so far is it took an agonising week for my milk to come in (after a c section and being separated from bubs who was in SCBU), but no real problems since then except we got to about 4 weeks and I started having issues with oversupply (too forceful a letdown), which are coming right now.

Anyway I posted this link in the July babies thread but I found this website really helpful for breastfeeding info:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/index.html

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2008 at 8:13pm
my main tip would be, if it is getting in the too hard box - ask for help. there is quite a bit of support and help out there, but generally they won't approach you, so approach them
kiwikid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwikid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2008 at 9:43pm
This is a brillian thread, like weegee my milk took about 5 - 6 days to come in after my c section, I tried expressing collostrum in the hosp but didnt get any results so after 24 hrs we gave Hayden fomula top ups but still put him to the breast hoping his skill was better than the pump lucky his latch was good but I still got a bit of nipple cracking (use a lanolin product for this, one that you dont have to wipe off before feeding).

We continued to put him to breast and gave formula top ups for a few days at home and then was advised that the best thing you can do for your milk supply is to stop the top ups and go to bed with your baby for a day or two. Put baby to the breast any time he fusses, rest rest and rest, skin to skin feeds are lovely and stimulate something or other, lots and lots of water, three meals and three snacks a day (go the cheese on crackers and choc nesquick snacks). Those 24/48 hrs will be exhausting so make sure you have some support at home, there were lots of tears for us but DH fetched and carried for us and baby and I just stayed in bed I read magazines when he was sleeping and let him have the boob whenever he wanted.

Blimmen hard work in that first week or so but so worth it, was really tempted to give in and go full time on formula and that would have been fine as its always more important to have a happy baby but I['m really really pleased I didnt as in the end it only took a few days for things to come right.

Now he feeds on one breast for 30 mins has a nappy change and play then back on same breast for 10/15mins and off to bed for 2/3 hrs during the day and 4/5 hrs during the night (most of the time!!!!) We do our night feed lying down in my bed and I find that less tiring than getting up and sitting in front of the tv, Hayden goes back to his bed easily afterwards.

Oh and I started taking Fenugreek as they dont have Blessed Thistle here in the UK.

Edited by kiwikid

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2008 at 10:50pm
Weegee - i too had that problem - i think that was what was the beginning of the end when i had paris as i didn't click. Yeah i had a few probs early on but the main problem started after the 6 week growth spurt when she had greatly increased my milk supply and began coming off and choking when i let down, so to remedy that she then learnt to come off just as i was about to let down to stop herself getting overwhelmed with milk. So of course it turned to a source of huge stress for me and constant battles to get her back on amid streams of milk everywhereand a screaming baby!

I learnt after i had ayja and things began to go that way again despite having been great up till then. I kept a towel handy, if she came off just as i was letting down or began to splutter and choke, I would pop a towel over the breast for a minutes to let the force slow down, then pop her back on again - no probs.   funny thing - hindsight.
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

aussiegirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussiegirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 10:29am
My milk supply is ok, but not great, so Ive started taking naturopathic drops, making sure I drink a glass of water at each feed, having protein at each meal, having a banana or nuts and raisins to snack on while feeding and generally ensuring I rest, drink, eat and sleep enough. We will see tomorrow if all is well when Hayley gets weighed!

How is everyone else going?
Mum to Hayley **30.6.08
11111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 11111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 12:51pm
Just want to say fantastic thread Annie. I am not loving the BF thing, but really wnat to give it a good go. So this kind of thread is jsut what one needs to get tip's. thank you.
Deborah Mum to:

Mazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 3:17pm
Great thread Annie!

I found getting into the habit of having a glass of water before or during the feed and a glass of water right after helped me make sure I was drinking it enough.

These cookies are often recommended on another forum I visit, I've made them several times myself and found them pretty good - easy to munch on while feeding, anyway! You can use rolled oats instead of the ones indicated, and apparently adding cocoa is yum too.

Housepoet's Famous Lactation Boosting Oatmeal, Chocolate Chip & Flaxseed cookies ™
Ingredients :

* 1 cup butter or marg
* 1 cup sugar
* 1 cup brown sugar
* 4 tablespoons water
* 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal (can use LSA)
* 2 large eggs
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 2 cups flour
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 3 cups oats, thick cut if you can get them
* 1 cup or more chocolate chips
* 2 tablespoons of brewers yeast (be generous)

Directions:

Preheat oven at 375 degrees F. Mix together 2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal and water, set aside for 3-5 minutes. Cream (beat well) margarine and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, mix well. Stir flaxseed mixture and add with vanilla to the margarine mix. Beat until blended. Sift together dry ingredients, except oats and chips. Add to margarine mixture. Stir in oats then chips. Scoop or drop onto baking sheet, preferably lined with parchment or silpat. The dough is a little crumbly, so it helps to use a scoop.

Bake 8-12 minutes, depending on size of cookies.

Serves: 6 dozen cookies

Preparation time: 15 minutes
Mum to two gorgeous girls!
Alianasmummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alianasmummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2008 at 8:04am
I find gingerbeer works really well. It tastes better than nettle tea but that is amazing at increasing your milk supply and iron levels too.
I have a little piggy and find if i dont take one or the other in a day, by night time i have a very small supply and miss piggywig gets very upset at having to suck for ages to full herself up.
tickers" /></a>
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 20>