FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTips for Breastfeeding and Milk Supply

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 20>
Author
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2011 at 9:56pm
Thanks Richtea - Glenfield is actually closer for me I'll check them out.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
Sponsored Links

Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2011 at 11:31pm
Wow, our SPACE group is pretty 50/50, Im about to start PC when we get back from the States, but Lilla is the youngest one there by about a year so I wouldnt be surprised if none of them are still BFing (although wouldnt b surprised if any of them still are as well).
I guess at teh end of the day I parent how I want to, doing what I see is best for my daughter, and for us that is BFing for as long as she wants to. Ive ahd a couple of comments regarding weaning since Im pregnant, but I will actively encourage her to keep feeding since I wanted to get to at least 2 years, and even 18 months seems so little to not be BFing her any more.
I would hate to look back a year/5 years/20 years and wish I had done what I wanted to instead of reverting to peer pressure. But regret is a big thing for me, so it makes me feel that way...

+1 May 09 Angel

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2011 at 6:46pm
Grrr how do I get her to calm down with the theatrics? DD is super wriggly anyway and getting worse with feeding.

Any tips or ways I can get her to settle down and feed well?

[/url]

Angel June 2012
Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2011 at 7:11pm
I just put up with it, DD will get on, latch and suck for a bit, pull off and look around, suck, off, suck off.... Once my let down starts she is good. I try to be in a quiet area like her room or the couch, and have her looking at a blank wall My let down takes ages so its a real pain at times

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2011 at 9:18pm
She's feeding and trying to get away at the same time its like she's too busy to bother. Everything is distracting.

[/url]

Angel June 2012

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2011 at 5:08pm
Ok so DD has dropped another day feed, yet she still wants at least 1 feed at night. When will she no longer 'need' to feed overnight?

[/url]

Angel June 2012
Jas2010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jas2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2011 at 8:43am
hi, my wee man has only put on 400g in 6 weeks, so starting to plateau out on his growth chart. He's in the 25th Percentile now. he is fully breastfeed but wondering if it's my milk supply or because he has reflux and is a spilly baby so not absorbing all he needs, went to the doc yesterday absolutely no help at all, rushed us in and out in 10 mins, wondering if I should persevere or give him a formula top up, we have no problems breastfeeding he can't latch on quick enough. Hoping someone might have some advice? thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2011 at 9:49am
My DD is only 9th percentile and due to a number of reasons I stopped giving her formula top ups and just bf her. She's a happy healthy little girl and tbh if it weren't for plunkets growth chart I would be worried about her health at all.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2011 at 11:57am
Jas, if yuor BFing on demand and you think he looks happy and well then trust your gut, mothers instinct is a wonderful thing!
We saw the Pead on Monday who said DD was 'thriving' (Ive never heard that before!) and to keep doing what I was doing (shes on or just below plunkets 50% percentile (dont forget those are FFed babies charts)) when I saw plunket on Tuesday they wernt overly worried but made us make an early appointment to keep an eye on her... Its B.S. my daughter isnt tall (her height is on the 50th %ile too) and shes not skinny or fat, shes just right, leave her alone

+1 May 09 Angel
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2011 at 10:29pm
I was just about to say that the plunket charts are for FF babies, I think for memory there is one for bf babies on Kellymom if you want to check it out.

I remember DS started off at around 80-90% on the plunket charts and then at about 4 or so months that started to taper off and he dropped to about the 50%, he now sits at around the 30%. sometimes I think those graphs cause more worry than necessary, the main thing to check for is that he isn't losing any weight, he is still happy and healthy Doesn't have any signs of dehydration or anything.
Remember that Not every child can be above the 50%

Jas2010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jas2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2011 at 8:39am
that's good advice, i was totally getting hung up on those charts, he's happy, healthy and chubby, we've decided to keep bf'ing as it is going well and see how things turn out.
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2011 at 11:06am
I was told by my LLL leader that plunket updated their charts in the 90's to being the WHO b/fed ones, but i have only heard from others that its still based on F/F. Very curious to know which is which now. Does anyone have a definitive answer? We have the opposite problem - DS is MASSIVE and we are told to stop demand feeding and put him on a feeding schedule and wean night feeds. Most ridiculous thing i have ever heard. Furious at plunket. My mom was told the same thing about my brother when he was DS's age as well. DS does not look at all fat, he is actually quite lean. Just apparently made of lead.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2011 at 4:15pm
DD has always been small she started life after 37 weeks gestation and was only 5lbs bigger than I was slightly smaller than DH.

She did go up a percentile from 2nd to 9th in weight and from 9th to 25th in height. She's been crawling since she was 7 months old and there's not an ounce of fat on her.

She is very much demand fed its a case of I offer and she refuses.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2011 at 8:59am
Bowie, thats nonsense! Silly plunket. My little brother grew off the top of the plunket charts, hehe. His book has comments like "spectacular weight gain". He was a right little roly porker

These days, he's a wiry, lean, tall 20-something-year-old in great health. Yeah, he had a few chubby stages growing up, but he grew up.

The trouble with those graphs is they seem to think everyone should track along the same percentiles all the time, which is nonsense. That's NOT what they say at all. All they say is that at one particular point, this is the distribution of babies weight. Of course some babies are going to have growth spurts at different times so that they chop and change their positions in the chart. We see it in livestock all the time. Why would humans be any different?
Hopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2011 at 6:54pm
Oh for goodness sake, Bowie! Jacob's a chunky monkey too, and I'd have had a tanty if they'd suggested that. Big babies are big babies, and they'll slim out with time (I used to love Jacob's little rolls, he's lost most of them now).

Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2011 at 7:35pm
Aww hopes your having a girl?! Congrats!!!

+1 May 09 Angel
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2011 at 3:34pm
Same as Bowie... Lily is top of charts for weight and height so Plunket would always hassle me about bottle feeding and saying I wasn't BFing her - must be a bottle in there somewhere - nope there wasn't!) And eventually it turned into 'Well you should start cutting feeds, night wean, etc' They're never happy - I tell ya!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2011 at 5:24pm
*snap* congrats Hopes on having a pink one

[/url]

Angel June 2012
Hopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2011 at 8:11pm
Yep, she's apparently a pink one - and thanks

Bky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2011 at 12:04pm
My Plunket chart is a WHO chart, but I was talking to someone else (who had a baby after me even)and she had some odd Plunket NZ chart in her Plunket book and it wasn't the WHO growth chart. My book was apparently printed 2009, and the other book printed 2010. So it seems they kind of pull the books out of a pile in a back room somewhere, as well as changing the charts from year to year...
7/2010, 10/2012 and 1/2015

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 20>