FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTips for Breastfeeding and Milk Supply

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 20>
Author
FreeSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2009 at 10:33pm
Just so you ladies know - some of us are "fast-flow" and baby may only need for 10min to get a full feed!!
If that little tummy feels full, don't worry over how long you've been feeding for.
And other ladies are "slow-flow" and may need to let baby feed for 45min. Just go by how full they feel, and act.
Sponsored Links

Natalie_G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natalie_G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2009 at 2:31pm
Thanks for the info Flutterby, very handy to know, that could be the reason.

My flow is very good when I express and she seems to take big long sucks.
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2009 at 6:40pm
And then some of us are fast flow with a baby that likes to take breaks and suck so feeds still take ages  I also have a liitle one who has worked out that he can just open his mouth and in no time it will fill with milk dripping from mummy.  then he swallows...lazy sod!!!
Natalie_G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natalie_G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2009 at 7:27am
I have been expressing before Ariannes feed and I am only getting 60mil from both breasts.

I have been topping her up with formula after feeding her the breast milk. I hope I can get my supply up so I can keep breastfeeding her.

I will now just express it and feed that to her on a bottle that way I know how much she is getting.
mrshouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2009 at 8:42am
hey Ariannesmum my supply was llike that too where i could only get 50mls from both breasts- so i cut out expressing all together just so i could build up my supply again....also im weiry about giving formula top ups because that means youre own supply wont build up to what Arianne needs....iykwim?.....

[/url]
blondy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2009 at 9:11am
Just wanted to let you know that while some people just can't express much milk (I've only ever managed about 60mL combined from both sides), that doesn't mean the baby isn't getting a full feed. Your baby is far more efficient at getting milk out! Sometimes it helps to follow your baby's hungry signs, rather than worrying about numbers - you can always feed more often to up your supply.
fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2009 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by AriannesMum AriannesMum wrote:

I have been expressing before Ariannes feed and I am only getting 60mil from both breasts.

I have been topping her up with formula after feeding her the breast milk. I hope I can get my supply up so I can keep breastfeeding her.

I will now just express it and feed that to her on a bottle that way I know how much she is getting.

Also, lovey, try real hard not to get hung up on "how much" is on Mls etc baby is getting. Baby will drink as much as She wants, regardless of the Mls amount.

Also know that your breasts make most of the milk baby needs when she is feeding, so what you are expressing is no idication of how much she gets.

The best way to boost your milk supply is to let baby drink more! Baby is the best breast pump and your body will increase amounts of milk made in a couple of days according to how much and often you are feeding her. Skipping a feed or toppign up with formula will actaully cause your body to make less, because it thinks it dosne't need it.

Good luck! You are doing a great job.
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
Natalie_G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natalie_G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2009 at 3:51pm
Thanks for the advice, it just really hard when she starts crying on your boob and she has only been on for a min or so.

I will keep trying because I want to be a breastfeeding mum.
FreeSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2009 at 8:10pm
If she starts to cry because the flow has slowed down, try switching boobs for a minute, then you can switch back when you feel the next let down. Between 4 and 8 weeks was the hardest time for me, Elizabeth became all out of sorts with the way my milk supply had settled down and she actually had to work for it. It was like having to re-learn for both of us. My mantra during that time became "just for one more day" because I felt like I wasn't getting it "right", I felt like she wasn't enjoying it or getting enough. What got me through was getting her wieghed - seeing that she WAS putting on wieght made me realise that she was just fine.
Chickoin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickoin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2009 at 7:17pm
I think sometimes bubbas can get used to the bottle giving them milk at the first suck and they get impatient on the boob waiting for the let down. Maybe try not using the bottle too often?
And yes, I agree with the others about not getting too hung up on how much she is getting, if she is growing nicely then she is feeding nicely :)
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2009 at 8:51pm
AriannesMum, I just wanted to say that it's totally natural for your flow to settle down anywhere from about 6 weeks onwards. When that happens bub often gets frustrated with you - especially if they had to get used to a fast letdown in the first place. They will get used to the slower letdown, but in the meantime you will need to really work on relaxing. When you get stressed out - like we ALL did! - and tense up, you prevent letdown from occurring which only makes the problem worse.

To quote myself from another thread:
I had a bit of a panic when JJ was about 12 weeks old, because I had really fast letdown and it had taken a while for us both to work around that, but my supply naturally settled down around then so my letdown slowed. JJ got all frustrated with me then cos he didn't think it was fast enough any more. Your poor boobs, they just can't win! Anyway because I was stressing out about not having enough milk I was all tense when I was trying to feed and sometimes it would take AGES for my letdown to happen because of that. I looked up good old kellymom and did a bit of visualisation and cueing etc and that helped. Now I'm a lot more relaxed I don't seem to have that problem any more (and if it's taking longer than usual I just go shhhhhh and out it comes!).

Here's the article I found so helpful: link

and the referring article at kellymom is here

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
kiwikid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwikid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2009 at 10:45pm
I just wanted to add in agreement with the others the best best BEST thing you can do for your supply is to ditch the bottle top ups - I know how upsetting it is to see your baby hungry / frustrated (from personal experince ) but honestly it will only take a few days / maybe a week if you put baby to boob every time she indicates hunger for as long as she wants it your body will do its best meet the demand. As long as baby is latching and you have some milk then there is a very good chance your body will up its milk production and you can consider breastfeed long term. Its blardy hard work and upsetting and frustrating at times but sooooo worth it. Also to agree with the others do not worry about 'how much' baby is getting, feed her til she refuses the breast / turns her head away etc and you cannot go wrong, its hard to leave the 'figures/facts' aside but getting your baby weighed once a week/month and as long as she follows her growth trajectory (ie 25th percentile, 50th percentile, 75th percentile etc) then that is all the evidence you need.

HTH xxx

Edited by kiwikid

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2009 at 8:37pm
I just thought I'd pop in and share my 'squirty milk' secrets...

Almonds, chocolate, oats, lots of water and frequent nursing.

I've just started back at work which means expressing one feed a day for the nanny to give lil miss. By day 3 I was starting to freak out coz my breasts didn't feel as full as they usually did so I had some scorched almonds (choc + almonds all in one - bonus! ) and a couple of bowls of muesli, made a conscious effort to drink plenty of water and put lil miss on the breast at frequent intervals and sure enough, the next morning I had squirty milk pouring all over the place again.

I have a lactation slice recipe too, I'll dig it out and post it.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Rashika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rashika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2009 at 10:18am
Excellant thread guys!

Will be starting back to work at about week 14 so trying to work out the expressing thing, and this is all really good info to have, especially those websites!
Jan 08 :angel:

Natalie_G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natalie_G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2009 at 9:22pm
I havent used bottle top ups for a few weeks now, the only time she gets a bottle is her last feed in the night and that has been for the past 3 nights. She seems a lot more happy and sleeps through the night.

During the day we just have a small break inbetween b@@bs and she goes well on the other one. She can moan a bit but I keep putting her on and she eventually takes it and stays on for a good 5 mins.

All and all we are doing a lot better. Thanks everyone for your helpful advice it means a lot.
Chickoin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickoin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2009 at 1:07pm
Yay! That's very good to hear, thanks for coming back to tell us
raggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2009 at 8:59pm

I found when I was expressing that I didn't get that much out towards the 6-7 month, so to get me flowing I had 1T brewers yeast in juice about an hour before I did it.  And I was able to get more out.

I just want to say one thing.  I know breast is best but You are not a failure if your baby won't feed from you in the later months!  Every baby is different and has different needs.

I had dreams of feeding my baby until 2 years old (the additional milk), but she had different ideas and I had to deal with that.

And I agree don't go by the mls as you wil only feel like a failure if you don't reach a certain amount.

peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2009 at 1:02pm
bumped for Shelt
mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2009 at 8:20pm
Does anyone have any tips for feeding in public with super squirty boobs???

I want to be able to leave the house and be confident that I can feed anywhere, but at the moment I need a "boob towel" at every feed because I leak so much....

Jake has already figured out that if he just hold my nipple in his mouth he wont need to suck for a while, clever monkey.

Any suggestions would be great.

RuthyH View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RuthyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2009 at 12:42pm
Sorry I can't help with the above posting, but on the subject of handy equipment to have for breastfeeding I would like to add a question of my own... I have no idea what I'll need - what creams, props, clothes do the more experienced amongst you think are really essential? Thanks so much

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 20>