FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNappy Systems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nappy Systems
    Posted: 01 May 2007 at 11:55am
Thanks Nikkiwhyte for compiling this, moved over from the General board...

Originally posted by nikkiwhyte nikkiwhyte wrote:

Nappy Systems

Prefolds
Modern version of flat cloth nappies, made out of cotton with an extra layer in the wet zone and absorb more. You use a cover with these and a stay-dry liner if you want.

Fitteds
A nappy which has snaps or velcro and is shaped so that it is super easy to put on. Some are 'pocket fitteds' which just means it has a pocket so that you can add extra absorbancy if needed. Some have stay-dry liners and some don't. You need a cover with these. And can use boosters - which are usually absorbant material with a stay-dry top.

Pockets
These are a waterproof outer shell and a stay-dry inner which has an opening so that you can stuff absorbant stuff in them (inserts).

All-in-ones
These are everything in one - waterproof shell, stay-dry inner and absorbant material sewn in. Easy peasy but take a bit longer to dry as you can't separate the layers. Some have pockets so you can add extra absorbancy.

Covers
So covers are used with fitteds/flats/prefolds... and I have gone through a stage of using them over pockets at night to prevent anything escaping. They are waterproof (or mostly waterproof) and made from fabrics like Wool, PUL, or fleece.

Fabrics (Not an exhaustive list - I'm learning!)

Cotton
Used as the absorbant part in nappies and comes in forms such as Burley Knit Terry (the most absorbant kind I think) and Sherpa (I think..?). Errrmmmm... I'll add to this as I learn more. Can sit against babies skin, but will feel wet.

Microfibre
Used as the absorbant part in nappies. Soaks up fast but also acts like a sponge so can sometimes 'let go' of the moisture. Fast drying. Can't sit against baby's skin, as it draws moisture too much.

Hemp
Used as the absorbant part in nappies. Soaks up slowly but heaps of liquid and locks it in. The more it gets washed the better it gets.

Bamboo
Used as the absorbant part in nappies. Soaks up heaps of liquid and locks it in. Generally softer than hemp but takes quite a bit longer to dry.

Microfleece
Stay-dry fabric. Wicks moisture through but remains dry on top.

Suede Cloth
Stay-dry fabric. Wicks moisture through but remains dry on top. Less stretch than microfleece.

Cotton Velour
Sometimes used on top of microfleece in nappies. Stay-dry??? Soft as anything and often put on the outside of nappies to make them super cuddly.

Polyurethane Laminate (PUL)
Used in covers/pockets/all-in-ones. Waterproof fabric, with a bit of stretch. There are variations on this fabric but I don't know much about them. Will update when I do

Wool
Natural fibre used as waterproof outer. Keeps warm when cold and cold when warm.

Fleece
Don't know much about this but I'm pretty sure it is polarfleece used in the covers. Will update as I learn more!

Hope that helps
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Sponsored Links

angel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2007 at 10:22pm
Prefolds are generally made from Birdseye which is still cotton but in a looser weave. They are rectangular and have multiple layers divided lengthwise in 3, eg 4x8x4. These can be pad folded and layed inside a cover (aka prefold & wrap) or stuffed into a pocket nappy, or "folded" and wrapped around baby (much like a fitted nappy) then fastened with a snappi. A snappi is a T shaped little thing (for lack of better words!) with hooks at the 3 ends to grip into the fabric. You can also use a snappi on your terry towelling flats as they have loops for the hooks to grip, but they wont work on your traditional flats.
Aimee
Ella - 5.5 years old!
Toby - nearly 3 years old!
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2007 at 1:41pm

marielb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marielb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2007 at 7:57pm
Thats a great list! I had lots of trouble learning about what everything meant before I bought all my cloths! That makes heaps of sense!
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2007 at 7:12pm
Just wanted to bump this for the absorbant fabrics.
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2007 at 7:13pm
Emma - just wondering if there was a way we (or you?) could edit this to add new info. Maybe I'll work on it when I've finished essays. Must. Stop. Procrastinating.
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2007 at 8:49am
bump

Guest_57378 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest_57378 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2011 at 2:52am
Originally posted by Maya Maya wrote:

Thanks Nikkiwhyte for compiling this, moved over from the General board...

Originally posted by nikkiwhyte nikkiwhyte wrote:

Nappy Systems

Prefolds
Modern version of flat cloth nappies, made out of cotton with an extra layer in the wet zone and absorb more. You use a cover with these and a stay-dry liner if you want.

Fitteds
A nappy which has snaps or velcro and is shaped so that it is super easy to put on. Some are 'pocket fitteds' which just means it has a pocket so that you can add extra absorbancy if needed. Some have stay-dry liners and some don't. You need a cover with these. And can use boosters - which are usually absorbant material with a stay-dry top.

Pockets
These are a waterproof outer shell and a stay-dry inner which has an opening so that you can stuff absorbant stuff in them (inserts).

All-in-ones
These are everything in one - waterproof shell, stay-dry inner and absorbant material sewn in. Easy peasy but take a bit longer to dry as you can't separate the layers. Some have pockets so you can add extra absorbancy.

Covers
So covers are used with fitteds/flats/prefolds... and I have gone through a stage of using them over pockets at night to prevent anything escaping. They are waterproof (or mostly waterproof) and made from fabrics like Wool, PUL, or fleece.

Fabrics (Not an exhaustive list - I'm learning!)

Cotton
Used as the absorbant part in nappies and comes in forms such as Burley Knit Terry (the most absorbant kind I think) and Sherpa (I think..?). Errrmmmm... I'll add to this as I learn more. Can sit against babies skin, but will feel wet.

Microfibre
Used as the absorbant part in nappies. Soaks up fast but also acts like a sponge so can sometimes 'let go' of the moisture. Fast drying. Can't sit against baby's skin, as it draws moisture too much.

Hemp
Used as the absorbant part in nappies. Soaks up slowly but heaps of liquid and locks it in. The more it gets washed the better it gets.

Bamboo
Used as the absorbant part in nappies. Soaks up heaps of liquid and locks it in. Generally softer than hemp but takes quite a bit longer to dry.

Microfleece
Stay-dry fabric. Wicks moisture through but remains dry on top.

Suede Cloth
Stay-dry fabric. Wicks moisture through but remains dry on top. Less stretch than microfleece.

Cotton Velour
Sometimes used on top of microfleece in nappies. Stay-dry??? Soft as anything and often put on the outside of nappies to make them super cuddly.

Polyurethane Laminate (PUL)
Used in covers/pockets/all-in-ones. Waterproof fabric, with a bit of stretch. There are variations on this fabric but I don't know much about them. Will update when I do

Wool
Natural fibre used as waterproof outer. Keeps warm when cold and cold when warm.

Fleece
Don't know much about this but I'm pretty sure it is polarfleece used in the covers. Will update as I learn more!

Hope that helps

Motherhood is something new to me and dont have enough information about baby nappies. Thanks for sharing this great information.
sophiana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sophiana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2012 at 6:25pm
Thanks for you baby nappies tips.Thats a great list!
Thanks Again
mommycat08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mommycat08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2012 at 11:14pm
Thank you for this list! All these different kinds of nappies are quite overwhelming and I honestly didn't know what I was supposed to get.

Very helpful for first-timers like me. Thanks again!
NewtoNappies192679 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtoNappies192679 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2015 at 10:28pm
Dear Members,
Thank you for this wonderful thread, it is very helpful though I am looking at starting from scratch with a new born and am very unsure how many of each piece I need for example

covers   = ?

Fitteds = ?

Prefolds = ?

Inserts = ?

Boosters = ?

Thank you I am so confused and nervous.
 Post Reply Post Reply