FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHelp with Slow Cooker

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
WRXnKids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRXnKids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with Slow Cooker
    Posted: 02 May 2007 at 7:00pm
Well i have decide to try putting it on in the morning and leaving it till i get home from work I have a few questions tho.

I want to cook pickled pork potatoes and pumpkin i have a frozen 1.2kg piece of meat.

Can i cook it from frozen? Can you cook things from frozen in a slow cooker or is it better not too?

What time do i put it on if i want it ready for say 6.30pm?

Do i put water in with it? how much?

and can i throw the veges in with it all?

Or does anyone have a better idea for cookin it? Like maybe leave the veges till when i get home and throw apple in with it?

Im so confused im not very good at cooking without a recipe and slow cooker times arent included on your average recipe/packet. Any help will be welcomed
Sponsored Links

tashzmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tashzmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 8:29pm
i cook things from frozen and its been fine although you are not ment to.
not sure if this helps but i usually put in my corned beef the night before frozen, and leave it on low and then early afternoon turn it up to high if i think it needs it. sorry cant help witht he veges.
Natasha Jayde, 1-01-05(7lb3oz)
Caroline Elisabeth, 9-04-08 (4lb15oz)
Izabella Kate, 9-04-08(6lb7oz)
Lexi Brenna, 23-01--2011(6lb6oz)
WRXnKids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRXnKids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 8:34pm
thanks i might leave the meat out over night so it should be mostly thawed. how much water do you put in?
tashzmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tashzmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 9:12pm
just a lil bit. maybe 1/2 cup. it creates lost of moisture while cooking. i learnt this the hard way lol.
Natasha Jayde, 1-01-05(7lb3oz)
Caroline Elisabeth, 9-04-08 (4lb15oz)
Izabella Kate, 9-04-08(6lb7oz)
Lexi Brenna, 23-01--2011(6lb6oz)
my2angels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my2angels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 9:47pm
hmm not sure about the veges sorry but I cooked my corned beef from frozen the other day and it was yummy.
arohanui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arohanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 10:21pm
I thaw my meat overnight before putting it in, and I usually put veges in with it - root veges though, like carrot/potato/kumara, and they get delicious and soft. Usually onions too for flavour - you could put apple in and that would be nice. I've never tried pumpkin but I reckon it would be fine.

I wouldn't put anything like broccoli or peas in it though, but I guess if you're at home you could add them in the last little bit if you don't wanna cook them in the microwave or in a pot.

I put mine on low before I go to work at 7.30pm, and turn it off when I come home at 6pm - thats probably too long, it would be done definately before 4pm. But in saying that, it doesn't go too yuck being in there for longer and it means I have a yummy dinner all ready and smelling divine when i walk in the door!
Mama to DS1 (5 years), DS2 (3 years) and...
Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 9:35am
Prob too late but about 1 cup of apple juice with crushed ginger and onion slices is really good with pork.

photomaxmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photomaxmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 11:46am

Having used my slow cooker for years my tip is to not put any liquid in at all with your silverside.  It produces a huge amount of liquid on its own and will cook in its own juices.  I peel whole potatoes and put them in and normally put it on low about 7am and it goes until 6pm when we get home,  last night we had a steak & kidney casserole which i cooked overnight and turned off in the morning.  that way we just heated for 2 mins in micorwave when we got home, 

soup is another goodie to in the crock pot. and chicken,  if you have one of those stands, put your chicken in on low and leave, when you get home  a few minutes under the grill to crisp the skin and you are away,  makes the meat extremely tender, great for those adjusting to new foods. easy to swallow and chew.

Post Reply Post Reply