FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedThings we should have been told!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
mcshort View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcshort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2010 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by Smartmum Smartmum wrote:

I have just found out that a c-section or rather abdominal surgery can give you endometriosis!!!!!!!!!

TMI warning, but i have been having painful s3x and i have endo as it turns out from the abdominal surgery of 2 c-s

... just wondering who told you that you can get endometriosis from a caesarean section??

I think they're still unsure about the exact cause of endometriosis so it sounds like a bit of a porkie! However they may have found some existing endometriosis growths whilst stitching you back up. I'm intrigued..
Mum to two very active boys, born October 2008 and December 2010. Getting excited about becoming a Childbirth Educator, and LOVIN being a birth support to amazing and courageous women!
Sponsored Links

Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2010 at 10:42am
mcshort- If you google it there are quite a few links about it. CS's can cause endo Im afraid.

Its to do with the scar tissue and what not, as they do a lot of cutting down there to get the baby out,

Ive had 2 CS's but apart from stronger ovulation pain, I dont have any of others with my period.

mum24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2010 at 12:27pm
I have had 3 csection, shortly to have my fourth, my sister has had 5. A couple of my were very emergencies and the 2nd was not such a rush. There are not as bad a s some say, however we are all different and so are our expectations. I never had a problem bonding with my babies and 2 of them spent a week or more in neonates and all were breastfed successfully. I am not an earth mother type or super mum just your average mum who works part time and loves her babies.
mcshort View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcshort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2010 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by Sheza Sheza wrote:

mcshort- If you google it there are quite a few links about it. CS's can cause endo Im afraid.

Its to do with the scar tissue and what not, as they do a lot of cutting down there to get the baby out,

Ive had 2 CS's but apart from stronger ovulation pain, I dont have any of others with my period.

Hmm I might just have a wee google of it... but am pretty skeptical still (no offence!). I don't usually google things anymore due to info being either totally unreliable, or 'worst-case-scenario' - but thanks!

I've had endo diagnosed in 1999 and have done a heap of research into it so am always keen to gain more knowledge
Mum to two very active boys, born October 2008 and December 2010. Getting excited about becoming a Childbirth Educator, and LOVIN being a birth support to amazing and courageous women!
Chantelle_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chantelle_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2010 at 8:41pm
I was planning a natural birth for my DD (first baby) and only skim read info about C-sections because I was so adamant that I was going to pull it off. I was in labour for about 6 hours before we went to the hospital, where after manually breaking my water my gyne said there was meconium in the fluid and gave me the 'option' to do a C-section because the baby 'could' go into distress. It all went downhill from there. I was in too much pain to really focus and all I heard was 'baby in distress' so I automatically said 'do it'. I had to wait 2 hours for my 'emergency'(I say with very heavy sarcasm) C-section and it was such a pain when they tried to put in the epidural because the guy would try every single time I'd get a contraction. It took three goes before he finally got it right, and another five to ten minutes before they had baby out. I didn't get to hold DD for 3 hours. Nobody told me what to expect, and nobody told me that my baby had to receive phototherapy and therefore was not brought to me, and they didn't leave her with me in the room either.

With DS (baby two) I had a midwife with me, and I feel really bad for not remembering her name because she was so awesome. We decided to try VBAC, so on a decided day I went in to hospital and 'laboured' from 10 am to around 6pm by being induced. But I'd read up on C-sections this time around and we were prepared that it could end up in another emergency one. I think I passed out during labour twice, and the third time I really did blank out because when I opened my eyes my room was swarmed with people that weren't there a second ago. Baby's heart rate dropped on every contraction, so they rushed me in for an emergency C-section. And I do mean, an emergency C-section. They had me in the operating theatre before I realised they'd moved me from my room, and get this: I was waiting to feel them cut, like the first time. One of the guys told me 'if you feel anything just squeeze my hand ok?' I managed a nod - I was shaking like crazy, shock I think - and two seconds later I hear this weird sound, and then my partner was holding a baby next to me and I was O_O Whut? That's it? He's out ALREADY? LOL. I didn't even know they'd cut me yet. So it was all really quick, and as frightening as that ordeal was, as soon as they rolled me out of theatre and put baby in my arms, the shaking stopped. It was pure magic.
Ruined by him pooping all over both of us two seconds later, but that's life for you.

I bonded much better with DS because he was with me from the moment I left the theatre, and I think your mindset and emotional state during the pregnancy plays a very large factor on how you bond with your baby too.

But what I've personally gained from these experiences, which I don't know if it's been mentioned or not, is that if you get a really bad headache after a C-section, you should mention it to the nurses because it's likely to be caused by some of the fluid from the epidural collecting in your spine, or something like that. I have a weird back, apparently, because this is the second anaethesist that had to try more than once to administer it to me right. But he was a really nice guy, and he felt genuinely bad about it, but again I believe I have something wrong with my back.

For bubs number three due next year August/September, I'll have to have a select C-section. It should be a piece of cake since I now officially know what to expect.
Deb-Amy -H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deb-Amy -H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2011 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by pomikiwi pomikiwi wrote:

Making sure your hospital bell is tied to your bed so it doesn't fall off, then when your baby cries you're not waiting in tears for 20 minutes for someone to come and pick her up and give her to you :-(

That's what happened to me too! They took the catheter out before I could walk, and I was painfully busting for a wee, and Sean was crying his eyes out and I was calling out "Help ME!!!!!" for nearly an hour.
Couldn't reach nurse call button but could reach cell phone, text DH (we live 40 mins away) and he arrived to help me just as a nurse finally came in and helped me.
In hindsight he should have just called the ward and told them to get their acts together!
K8TB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K8TB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 9:12am

Edited by K8TB
InthemiddleMummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InthemiddleMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 8:41pm
Howcome every tom dick and harry tells you that you cant drive till 6weeks. I phoned my insurance and they said if you havent had a GA then you can drive anytime. MW seconded that opinion, I was driving by 2weeks post C>S, felt too weak before that. THis time I wana drive myself home from hospital after c/s as DH driving too rough and felt like my stomach was guna fall out over the speed bumps in his old 4WD. lol
Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 9:48pm
The reason you cant drive is not an insurance issue its wether you can physically slam your foot on the brake in an emergency situation.

When you have a c-sect they have to cut through all your muscles which means you are unable to stamp your foot onto the brake fast enough and so if you have a crash you are helpless to do anything.

You should only drive when you are able to stand upright and slam your foot hard down onto the floor very quickly without doubling over or feeling any pain. Most people take 4-6 weeks before they can do this.

Before then you should not drive as you are a hazard to other road users- remember it might not be you doing the crashing, someone could come at you.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InthemiddleMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 8:53pm
Aethalia

My OB told me that they dont cut and he didnt cut my stomach muscles, they just cut the skin,fat and uterus, they push your bladder out of the way to access the uterus. they stitch up too 7 layers and as soon as the skin is healed it means that all the other layers inside have healed themselves together.

yes you can get driven into even as a passanger it wouldnt be good, but you could also get run over by a bus.

Well I believe in what the OB/MW/GP tell me not every tom dick and harry. each to there own thou aye.
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2011 at 8:41pm
I wasn't allowed to drive until 4 weeks with my son(emergency cs), but was driving at 2 weeks with my daughter(elective) and that's only because I felt like I had more control over my muscles that time round. With my son I was sick for ages afterwards and couldn't stand straight or walk much for 3 weeks.

The definitely cut through mine but I know they dont cut the uterus they actually tear it open with their fingers as it heals better than being cut.

millemama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millemama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2011 at 7:50pm
Yeah, I'm been wondering about the cutting as my OB told me that he didn't cut either just pushed the layers aside too. So I guess that must be correct, but I wonder is this the norm or down to each individual doctor, and does it affect your recovery, mine was really good, hobbling round next day and no probs or pain with feeding bubz either.

But if I wasn't cut then what excuse do I have for the wobbly bulge that stayed!!!

ALittleLoopy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALittleLoopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2011 at 9:28pm
Something I wish I knew was that chest infections from fluid on the lungs is a common prob with cs, I had an emergency and lost alot of blood they didn't give me a transfusion till day three and then day four I had fluid on the lungs which gave me an infection and had IV antibiotics...I didn't have my first walk or shower till day 5 as it was so painful and I was so sick, hoping for a vbac as I had such a horrid cs experience. I definitly didn't drive til 6weeks.

Edited to add I hope that link to endo is crap as I already had it, and adeno which is endo tissue in the uterine muscle so I don't want more, I was told having a baby may help with endo/pain but that wasn't talking about ending in cs

Edited by BAMN08

CHEM 6/12+

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InthemiddleMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 12:20pm
2 of my friends have had transfusions with vagainal deliverys, and a 3rd was very close but the used the filler type stuff cos her blood type rare and didnt have it available urgently.

its very sad and tough to go thru traumatic deliveries either c/s or vaginal, its a rough way to start out being a mum to your new baby

Sorry to hear of your rough time Ban08
MissAngel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2011 at 7:15pm
Ooooookay, back that truck right on up from there. Driving home from hospital after your CS? I hate to say this but that's really irresponsible. Your body is NOT ready for you to do that 24-48 hours after MAJOR abdominal surgery. My goodness. What if you have an accident and you slam on the breaks and rupture? What if you cant put down the pressure required and kill all of you? Come on now. Thing logically about it. I was driving 3 weeks after both of my CS's. If you dont like the way your DP drives, get someone else to drive you. I've never heard anything so rediculous in my whole life.

After baby 1 i wasnt even able to wipe my own backside nearly without assistance for a week, baby 2 I felt like I was drugged up on god knows what for days. I dont know what makes you think you're going to drive yourself home - unless you're planning on staying in the hospital for over a week.
And GirlsRock, I'm sorry if this offends you, its just the way I feel about it.
Alex, Thomas and Lily
UpsyDaisy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UpsyDaisy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2011 at 7:39pm
I just read through this page and wasn't til I read what you said Miss Angel that I realised GirlsRock said she wanted to drive herself home post c-section. That was written a long time ago in May, bet she didn't/or doesn't seems like something you might say you want to but then when it really cocmes to it you would be crazy to.

Also where in the country are you going home 24-48 hrs post c-section? THe norm where I live is a 5 day sat up to 7 days depending.
millemama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millemama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2011 at 8:00pm
A lot of hospitals want you out within 48hrs after CS, a couple of hours for VB, it depends on the hospital and how understaffed they are or overbooked they are, a joke really isn't it. Sure you can put your foot down but then the story goes that the 'service' becomes non existant and who needs that after having bubz.

I'm planning on CS in Waikato, which is a std 2 days then I can transfer to birthing unit for 2 days which sounds like bliss. Thats the plan anyway. Only needed 4 days with DD and was ready to go home, hopefully similar birth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InthemiddleMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2011 at 10:02am
LOl...I very much doubt I will be driving myself home from hospital this time, yes will be staying 5-7 nights, last time was 6nights.

DH went really fast over the speed bumps and gutter on the way leaving the hosptial (he didnt really think - he is a man!) and we were in his horrible old 4WD, so he has strict instructions to pick me up in my car and drive at crawling speed out of the carpark in the next few weeks whenever little bean decides its exit time.

So back to the topic....
Things you should have been told........

TELL your DH to drive SLOW over the speed bumps and gutters out of the carpark! as you leave the hospital!
KH25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KH25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2011 at 1:22pm
Ugh I feel your pain - DH picked me up in his van after my CS (bubs was still in NICU so didn't need to worry bout him) Man I felt every bump and pothole in the road for the 30 minute car (van) ride    Not to mention having to get into and out of the bloody thing!
Kelly, mum to DD, 19Jun06 (26wks 1lb15oz) DS1, 24Oct10 (32wks 4lb11oz) and DS2, 31Dec11 (32wks, 4lb11)
MissAmz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissAmz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2011 at 9:22pm
Must say i agree with all of these, i ended up having an emergancy ceaser after 32hours, i ate in recovary as i hadnt eaten for 48hours!! i was up the next day and driving at 3 weeks, it never stopped me doing anything apart from sit ups and starting the lawn mower!! the BDing bit shocked me to start with but were all good now
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>