FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSchools in Takapuna

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lola2008 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lola2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Schools in Takapuna
    Posted: 02 May 2008 at 9:31pm
Am thinking of moving to Takapuna in Auckland next year but have no idea what the schools are like there.
Can anyone advise me of a good primary school (and high school)there? I have 2 boys and a girl.
I am quite interested in schools that teach music and sport...
Many thanks
Sponsored Links

Bombshell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bombshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2008 at 6:12am
there are heaps of schools on the north shore inscluding some private, catholic based, and alternatives like motessori etc....you would need to research to find what is close and what suits. You may find that a bus to a high school is necessary to get to a good one that suits (eg albany etc) so dont discount ones that look a little further. There are also coed and single sex highs and some from north shore travel to auckland ones for high school.....plenty of options all round.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2008 at 1:14pm
When we lived on the Shore, I bussed over to Baradene for high school till we moved over the other side.

Takapuna Grammar has a good rep, as does Westlake Boys, not sure about Westlake Girls but the ERO reports are available on the Ministry of Ed webiste. Rangitoto College has a brilliant rep, but is hard to get into out of zone, and the local Catholic schools are Rosmini for boys and Carmel for girls. Glenfield College and Northcote College don't have *such* great reps, but aren't neccessarily bad schools.

Not sure about primary schools, there are so many you'd probably have to just trawl thru the ERO reports.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Mum2ET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum2ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2008 at 3:51pm

I live on the shore and went to Westlake Girls (and 1 brother to Westlake boys and the other to rangi) and looking back I found the school really good.

For high schools, there is also the new Albany junior high and when it is built Albany high. I know someone you goes to the junior high and have heard really good things.

Even through it is ages away we have started to talk about what school we would like to send Ella to....we are currently thinking either St Jospehs (catholic school) or maybe Forest Hill primary. I think Milford primary is also pretty good and I have heard really good things about Sunnynook primary.

Mum to
Ella (5) and Tom (2)
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2008 at 4:41pm
if you have a high school in mind for later, may be worth contacting them and asking what their "feeder" schools are.
jaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2008 at 9:47pm
It can be difficult getting into a school you are not in zone for so it may pay to find a school you like then move into zone.
Lola2008 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lola2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 4:03am
Thanks very much for all the feedback. Yes we were thinking of choosing the school first and then moving into the zone. I assume the high school would be more important?
In this case I don't really know where to start looking (am living outside NZ at the mo).
I know about the decile ratings but do I just go by this or is there more to it than that?
I assume Takapuna Grammar and Rangitoto College are the top choices on the shore???
Any more feedback/help would be much appreciated.
Mum2ET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum2ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 10:13am

I don't know about Takapuna Grammer, but Rangitoto is a good school...but it is a very big school (the largest secondary school in NZ- I think???) and I don't know about the classes sizes (might be something to look into it). There is also a couple of private schools on the Shore if you wanted to go in that direction- Kristen and Pinehurst (both in Albany), both of these schools are pretty good and start from primary school and go up to high school. One of workmates son has just started at Pinehurst (he is 6) and they seem very impressed with the school and the teachers. I would have also thought that the Westlake schools would be ranked quite high as well.

I would have a look on the internet for the ERO reports..not sure of the website but if you google it you should be able to find it.

Goodluck

Mum to
Ella (5) and Tom (2)
JPP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 12:40pm
I went to Rangi, not a bad school at all education wise but a tad large for my liking. When I went in the early-mid 90's it was about 1600 students, I think there are about 3000+ now??
If I hadn't moved out of the Forest Hill/Takapuna/Northcote area to the Naki my boys would both have been enrolled at Westlake Boys hands down! Excellent college for boys. Growing up on the Shore there are numerous amounts of schools and now that Albany is no longer a farming town but developed 'mini city' there are probably a lot more. Majority of the schools are excellent though no matter where. For primary school my own personal choice would be Sunnynook Primary, one of the best around which then feeds into Wairau Intermediate which is a feeder to Rangi and the Westlakes (as well as Rosmini and Carmel, they're the Catholic ones).
Hope you find what you need, North Shore is a lovely place, though I wouldn't go back for all the money in the world lol I've got used to the downsized version of life and I love it

Vadim266822 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vadim266822 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 6:43pm
Thanks for post!
Vadim266822 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vadim266822 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 6:44pm
Finding the right word for my prose has always been a challenge. It took me a long time to learn that people don't just talk about ordinary things; they still talk a lot about the fly in their heads. I figured I couldn't do it any longer, but then I came across research topic about education and everything began to fall into place. These pointers/examples made me enjoy the coworkers more.
Jyliy267425 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jyliy267425 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 3:52pm
"根据全球四大名校(QS、US News、泰晤士报 Times、上海交大 ARWU)对此专业的排名,多伦多大学计算机科学专业能够排到加拿大cs代写 https://www.academicsaviour.com/jia-na-da-cs-dai-xie 专业的第一;多伦多大学计算机科学专业十分专业,有很大的特色,广大留学生和家长在了解之后,将该学校设定为以后大学的申请目标是十分值得的。专业的特点如下:
数据库、AI、Machine Learning等专业均远超加拿大平均水平。Machine Learning专业设立的一些课,由被誉为“神经网络之父”、“深度学习鼻祖”的Geoffrey Hinton专家亲自进行授课;
教学看重CS语言的多样性,一二年级的基础课程最少会开设三门计算机语言的相关课程:Python、java、C;
格外看重实操能力,课后作业里面会有很多的project;
还看重计算机理论的教授,不光要懂编程,还要精通算法,能做“码农”,也能做架构师。"
 Post Reply Post Reply