FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedClub Foot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sixpence View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixpence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Club Foot
    Posted: 27 December 2008 at 9:59am
Hi ladies I am 21 weeks pregnant with my first baby and have just recently found out at the 20 week scan that the baby has telepies (sp) of the left foot.
I have been very upset with this diagnosis but are now coming to terms with it and are seeking information about treatment and the future development of the baby etc. I look foward to hearing other peoples experiences.
Sponsored Links

josephnia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josephnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2008 at 11:33am
Dh's brother was born with club feet - from what I know he was in plaster casts for the first 2 (I think?) years, after he had surgery because he has quite long scars on his legs. This was 30 years ago though so I imagine they've upgraded what they can do now. In terms of future development he had to 'relearn' how to walk when his casts came off but he has been a top level sportsman in football and cricket and is currently training for a half marathon. In fact they think it might have actually helped with the football because he was able to kick it in a way that no one else could!

BTW I met him when he was about 18 or 19 and would never have known about all this - he's no different to anyone else.

Hope this helps a bit :) PM if you want to know anything else and I can ask DH for you
Thomas Sharp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Sharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 5:27pm
In clubfoot, the tendons on the inside of the leg are shortened, the bones have an unusual shape, and the Achilles tendon is tightened. If left untreated, the person may appear to walk on their ankles or the sides of their feet.
In an infant born with clubfoot: the top of the foot twists downwards and inwards
the arch is more pronounced and the heel turns inward
in severe cases, the foot may look as if it is upside-down
the calf muscles tend to be underdeveloped
if only one foot is affected, it is usually slightly shorter than the other, especially at the heel A person with a clubfoot does not usually feel discomfort or pain when walking.
A health care professional normally notices a clubfoot when a baby is born. Sometimes it can be detected before birth.
Most children will have only a clubfoot and no other condition, but sometimes clubfoot occurs with other problems, such as spina bifida.
 Post Reply Post Reply