FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMaternal Mental Health

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
arohanui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arohanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maternal Mental Health
    Posted: 21 April 2009 at 8:21am
I've had a couple of people recommend to me I get in touch with MMH. A couple of questions...

Can I ring them and refer myself? And does anyone have a contact phone number for them?

What's people's experience with them, what do they do?

TIA
Mama to DS1 (5 years), DS2 (3 years) and...
Sponsored Links

Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2009 at 11:59am
I loved MMH they were awesome down here. They sort of do counselling and keep tabs on your meds and help regulate a healthy lifestyle (thats what they did for me anyway). I was refered to them by the hospital I'm not sure whether or not you can contact them but may as well give it a go
MonicaMouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MonicaMouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2009 at 12:05pm
I'm pretty sure you can self refer. My MW wave me their details when I was pg with Blair, and I ended up ringing them and using them when he was 7 months old. I would check your phone book, or otherwise contact your local GP (or even MW centre) to ask for their number. It *can* take a wee while to be seen.

I phoned them thinking it was highly likely that I had PND. The woman I spoke to suggested a couple of things to take and arranged for an appointment. She came to my home and we talked for about an hour, and she confirmed my thoughts and suggested I go to my GP for the "drugs". She also arranged for me to go into the local Mothercraft unit so I could get some help with Blair's sleeping (or lack thereof, and what felt like a constant need for feeding). I got a couple of follow-up visits and when she thought that I had things under control a bit more, and my GP keeping a good eye on me discharged me from their service.

I'll probably contact them in the next couple of months to see if they have any suggestions about what to do to help prevent a major rebout - specially with DS2 on his way

Blair 15/10/2007
Daniel 30/07/2009
kezplanet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kezplanet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2009 at 1:00pm

I got a referal from my GP this time while I was preg with Abigail, and wish I had their support when I had Anastasia and Ashlyn (I got forms to fill in after I had Anastasia but while being sick, couldnt get it together to fill in the forms) Dr gave me a *better* referal this time & got an appt for assesment before baby was born.  There is bout 6mth waiting list down here, if you are able to get in you will get a case worker who will go thru all your different options and get things going for you. I look forward to my meetings even as simple as not feeling like you are being judged on what you do and say and knowing that they are there to support you is a major help (like a tonne weight being lifted!!)

Good luck, hope it goes well for you

Kerryn, Mum to
Ashlyn(29/3/04), Anastasia(1/11/05) & Abigail (24/02/09)
 Post Reply Post Reply