FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBaby Monitor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LeeG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeeG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Baby Monitor
    Posted: 23 April 2009 at 10:27am
Hi ladies, a baby monitor is next on my list of purchases ... can anyone recommend one that they've found particularly good, or one that should definitely be kept away from? I don't think I want a movement monitor (but convince me if you disagree!), just a sound one that covers enough distance so I can have it in the garden with me if I feel so inclined

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links

Febgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Febgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2009 at 11:58am
We were't particularly paranoid parents and had a completely healthy baby but the movement monitor was wonderful, just gives you that extra peace of mind, especially when your baby first starts sleeping long periods overnight.

We have an Angelcare sound and movement one and I would completely recommend it. They come up on Trade Me regularly, or if you bought it new you would be able to onsell it easily later. Worth the little bit extra $ in my opinion.

(and you can turn off the movement part so it is just a sound monitor too when bubba gets older).
Two little girls under 2!

Salifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2009 at 12:22pm
Hi LeeG, I too am on the hunt for a monitor. Didn't use one for our first child but want to be mobile (into the garden also!) if need be.

I've heard the Philips SCD361 model is a good basic model ($100 ish in Farmers?). Has range of up to 250m, portable with rechargeable unit (will work off battery or mains power). Has adjustable volume and sound level lights.

This way if baby falls asleep in car you can take base (with batteries) and put in car and when baby wakes you will know!

Hope thats some help.
RunningT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RunningT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2009 at 6:54pm
Beware long post follows

Tommee Tippee Ultimate Reassurance Monitor Vs AngelCare Sound and movement Monitor AC401.

We have been in the unique situation of having used both monitors so I feel that I am situated that I can explain and compare the features of both.   These are only my opinions which you can take or leave.

I’ll tell you why we had both monitors later.

The TT was cheaper. I liked that there was a movement light on the TT parent unit that flashed every time movement was detected. The AC has a movement light on the nursery unit but when you are standing by the cot you can usually tell if your baby is moving or not. I guess you don’t really need to see a movement light flashing on the parent unit because if the baby is not moving the alarm will sound but watching the light flash did “soothe me”.

It was VERY easy to switch the TT nursery unit from movement to sound only when you picked up baby out of the cot. This can be good if you want to be able to call for backup in the middle of the night from DH sleeping in bed or bad if you don’t want to be heard talking in baby talk.

They both display the temperature however the TT is on the nursery unit. The Angelcare has a reading on the parent unit so I can see from my bed whether the nursery is hot/cold/just right. The AC monitor allows you also to set an alarm if the temperature goes above or below levels you set. (I have never used this function but could be useful in winter)

Both monitors suck in that if you turn off the nursery unit (movement and sound) the parent units sound an alarm if you haven’t turned the parent units off first. Annoying if you forget to turn the parent units off before you go to the nursery.

Both monitors have a small warning beep if there is no movement for 15 seconds then the big alarm at 20 seconds. The small warning can jolt baby back into breathing.

Both monitors have a night light (I thought they were both pretty pathetic)

The AC has two sensor pads which I think will be good once baby start moving around in the cot.

This is a BIGGIE… The AC monitor charges the parent unit when you put it on the charger. An overnight charge is enough for a whole day. I don’t even move the charger now and just take the parent unit with me from room to room during the day. The TT parent unit does not recharge and if you use rechargeable batteries you void the warranty. We went through a set of batteries with the TT monitor in two weeks which is a cost you need to factor in.

The sound function on the AC monitor can be set to continuous transmission or voice activated ie if there is no sound in the nursery there is no sound coming through on the parent unit. You can also set the AC monitor so the “voice” has to be a certain level to activate… ie if you don’t want to hear all the little grunts you don’t have to and you can just hear the medium to loud crying.

The AC monitor also has less feedback or interference than the TT monitor and you can also change the frequency if you want/need to.

Both monitors can run on batteries so we could take either up to my parents and use them in the portacot up there. We never bothered to take the sensor pads. Alternatively if baby falls asleep in the car you can put the ‘nursery’ unit in the car to hear when they wake up.

The TT monitor is certainly cheaper. Rrp around $270 but we got it on special for $198. The AC rrp $400 we paid $330 on a web site I had never heard of (I won’t name it so I don’t get into trouble but I ordered it at lunchtime and it arrived at 9am the next day) There are price comparison web sites so regardless of which model you want to buy you can find it cheapest.

Now my confession:
We had the TT first and had a number of false alarms with it (ie over 20 in 3 weeks). We had baby sleeping at one end of the cot and we changed the cot end he slept in so that our set up was EXACTLY the same as the manual. Then when the false alarms continued we changed the end back again but the alarms continued. We discovered a major installation error after three set up changes. I don’t know if the installation error was present in all the three set ups we had tried (I would be really surprised if both DH and I failed to notice this 3 times when changing it around. However more importantly the false alarms continued after we put it the right way up so it appears that the installation error was not the only problem with this unit.

We returned it and got our money back no problems. I have not heard of other people having this trouble with the TT monitor (our issue may have just been a one off) but we have had NO false alarms with the AC monitor for 6 weeks… and counting.

I love my AC monitor.
first View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2009 at 10:03am
I didn't read all the post so sorry if I repeat what has been said.
We just got a sound monitor as I felt that we had a healthy baby and we didn't full into any of the high risk catergories for SIDS. If my boy had been premie I would have got one for sure.
We just got a phillips one. It was good had two channels to choose from so when we went to friends places we would take it with and only once could we not use it because of interference. I think I would have prefered the silence option on the tommee tippee one which show lights flashing instead of hearing the baby. At home hearing a baby is fine but having lights while you are out would have been good but I've never tried it so it may just sound good and not actually be good.

LeeG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeeG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2009 at 10:26am
Thanks for the info guys
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2009 at 10:52am
i use my portable phones as a monitor....

pomikiwi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pomikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2009 at 9:18pm
I love my Angel care monitor, I got it off TM.

DD-Carys Amelia 17.03.06
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2009 at 9:49pm
Thats really interesting RunningT...we are having false alarms with our AC at the moment and its driving me nuts. I am 99% sure they are false alarms as I have actually stood by him watching him breathe and had the alarm go off.....but I dont want to start ignoring it. I am actually going to ask the doc tomorrow about sleep apnoea in babies as I would imagine that if he did stop breathing and then restarted that he would stir somewhat ...not look totally peaceful.

sorry for the TJ
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2009 at 2:16pm
When Mercedes had her apnoeas her face would go a really awful gray color and her lips and tongue would go blue, it was quite obvious.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
rosekelin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosekelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2009 at 5:53am
I bought a new video baby montor from http://safebabymonitors.com/video-baby-monitors.html. Works really good, I like it

Edited by rosekelin
Inlove28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inlove28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2009 at 3:22pm
I was speaking at length to the sales assistant in Baby City and are too trying to decide what to get,

Angel Care - I have been told and read up that their alarms do go off even when bubs is still breathing and can be quite annoying (but im not 100% turned off the idea of getting one)

Oricom 200 is a new australian brand that I have been looking at too, its the same as the sound Phillips one but $100 cheaper, cheaper should be great but not convinced on this too.

To be honest for piece of mind I think im going to go the whole hog and get an Angel Care, being first bubs I will hopefully get to use again
Som112413 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Som112413 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2013 at 4:55am
Hi after visiting aus I saw this video baby monitor when I got home I bought it.

Babybubs.com.au and they had free delivery

Hestia h100
nannyabbey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nannyabbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2013 at 9:55am
I love our angel care, especially because bubs was a tummy sleeper from early on. Helped his colic! We have had false alarms and worked out that bubs was sleeping in the corner of the cot and off the pads so just needed to move them out a bit and all was good!
Mike116341 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike116341 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 7:58pm
Or if you have iPhone or iPad you could use some baby monitor apps out there. And you could save tons of money :)

Here is one of the best app in my opinion : https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/baby-deluxe-your-all-in-one/id592671256?mt=8

It has many features, and also it can send soothing voice like white noise etc over the monitor.

And it's free, for now I think.

Hope it helps (:
AndieP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndieP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2013 at 8:55am
It depends on your budget and what you features you need from a baby monitor. One of the best budget video monitors is the Levana Jena. I know you said you don't really want a baby movement monitor, but I would take a look at the Angelcare Baby Movement and Sound Monitor. It's really excellent value for money
Baby Sleep Problems? Download Your FREE guide "5 Essential Ways To Help Your Baby Sleep Through The Night
=>http://allbabythings.net
Nataly148944 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nataly148944 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2014 at 6:11pm
Hi, have you tried the AngelCare monitor ? They have both sound or video and sounds alarming, depending on the budget.

I never heard anything bad about them, give it a try.

You can see what they can offer here -

angelcare deluxe movement monitor
davidbrucs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidbrucs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2018 at 1:34am
I know this discussion is bit old but i just want some suggestions regarding your experience with Baby monitors
I was Looking For the best Baby monitor And some questions regarding their use so i found this discussion forum.Can Anyone please Suggest Which brand is the best for Baby monitoring?
Which is the safest nd good quality Baby monitor to keep an eye and watch over your baby need serious suggestion please.
Daniel262519 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel262519 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2020 at 8:07am
I'm currently using Infant Optics' latest model — the DXR-8 baby monitor. Both the audio and video quality is pretty good based on my experience. You can take a look here to see more info: https://www.safebabymonitor.com/infant-optics/
James267250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James267250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 12:03pm
The baby monitor I am using is from ChildAngle.

So far so good. It has got two-way audio talkback feature allowing us to talk to the baby through the baby monitor and the pan, tilt and zoom feature for me to follow your babies as your baby walks around.

Post Reply Post Reply