FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCar seats in car accidents

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Car seats in car accidents
    Posted: 03 August 2010 at 6:54pm
DD and I had a minor accident yesterday. We are both fine, airbags didn't go off, so I believe it is a 'minor accident'.

I am still cautious about her carseat though. I have done a little research online (not NZ sites though). Some sights seem to say, replace regardless of how minor or major the accident it. And others say that if it is classed as a minor accident, car seat is fine (minor accident being side doors not affected, no one injured, airbags not going off...and a few other factors).

What's your guys opinions? I am quite certain we will replace anyway...it's just going to be a week or so until we can pay for a new one.
Sponsored Links

High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2010 at 7:22pm
What kind of carseat do you have? Were police involved?

If it was minor and no police I probably would leave it though I understand your concerns!

SafenSound replace all carseats that have been in an accident regardless of it being damaged or not but only if the police are involved.
bun_in_the_oven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bun_in_the_oven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2010 at 8:57pm
can i suggest you read this link

http://www.childrestraints.co.nz/carseat.php

they are SUPER helpful and NZ info... give them a call for advice..
could also ring the NZLTSA... they will advise you too

Good luck and im pleased to hear that you are all ok.

this is the NZ info i could find for you on the site....
Minor crashes meet ALL of the following criteria:

The vehicle was able to be driven away from the crash site
The vehicle door nearest the safety seat was undamaged
There were no injuries to any of the vehicle occupants
The air bags (if present) did not deploy
Source: NHTSA

It is best in any situation to replace the car seat once it has been involved in an accident.
There are no checks available here in NZ or AU to test the seat.

Take your accident restraint to Plunket for safe disposal. These seats are taken to the dump where they are crushed with a steam roller to prevent them from being reused. You can keep the original cover if you wish, do not however salvage any other parts off the seat.

If you do not have access to Plunket, you can dispose of your car seat using inorganic collection, or taking it to the dump yourself. Please note the following:

Always destroy a car seat that you are dumping

Remove the cover
Cut the harness
Destroy the plastic shell
Write over the seat "Not safe for use in a vehicle" if you are not able to destroy the shell - please note that people may still try to use the seat shell, this is why we advise that you destroy it using a sledge hammer or similar.
pekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2010 at 1:18pm
No, it wasnt a safen sound seat, but what a wonderful brand to do that!!

Thanks fro the info bun in the oven, exactly what I was after. And although, it is classed as a minor accident....we have just purchased a Radian so I can turn my 1yo back to rear facing.

High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2010 at 2:39pm
Great info
 Post Reply Post Reply