FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFruit / Vege gardening

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
MerlinFluff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MerlinFluff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2010 at 2:34pm
Thought I'd come join in on the fun here

I am notoriously bad at killing most things but still I adore pottering in my vege garden every year.

I happened to be in our tiny local town a couple of days ago and they were having a plant stall fundrasier for the primary school. I managed to get a whole huge BOX of seedlings for $20!! Yay!

Now got 6 strawberry plants, put in my brocolli, tomatoes, carrots, lettuce, zucchini, loads of things.. my gooseberry and raspberry bushes have suddenly boomed and now have mini fruit on!

Unfortunately, over the last 6 years the pine trees round my vege patch have grown quickly and the tops are shading it most of the day. Hubby hates felling or limbing trees, might have to ask *nicely* lol
***Elly***

Sponsored Links

Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2010 at 3:12pm
I have finally got my vege garden in- and CHICKEN PROOF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Phew, took long enough. I have planted loads of stuff, most of it probably far to close, but im rather mean, and I know it will still grow. I have bird netting over the top which goes over a wire, we put some fencing staples in the wood at the bottom and we can just hook the netting over, and remove if need be!

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2010 at 10:35am

I have bosenberries!!!! There are heaps on the bush too so now we have to bird proof it and let them grow.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2010 at 11:05am
Yum, we have a mini plant in, I hope we get some! Got some more plants yesterday, ended up planting my celery in the dark with one of our cats 'helping', she loves playing with the hand fork, you try and dig a hole and she is batting away maddly at it, you give it to her and she thinks its the best toy ever! *shakes head * my auntys mad cat!

MerlinFluff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MerlinFluff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2010 at 12:24pm
Oooh good thinking mummy_becks, I keep meaning to buy bird netting. Little boogers got most of my raspberries last year. Will put it on the shopping list I can't afford

Aethalia - I have a 14 week old border collie puppy who is enjoying 'helping' in the garden. Everything takes 10 times as long to do but she is so cute to watch!!
***Elly***

lil_lease View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lil_lease Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2010 at 9:54pm
I dont have any berries on my raspberry bush yet but I'm happy with its growth anyway!! I just have to remember to water it lol.

My strawberries are doing really well. I have to remember to pick the fruits though, I've lost 2 so far to the wildlife.
Antony, gone but never forgotten 2-4-2010

CindyD View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CindyD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2011 at 9:51pm
Gardening is my love... i have had my hands in the soild ever since i can remember and in my past life (before my 3 beautiful babies) i was a florist.
We moved into our new house in august. It had a very oooold lemon tree (sadly now deceased), an equally as old apple tree (riddled with codling moth) and a glass house in a very odd spot.... and no other garden at all. We now have plum, peach, blueberry, grape, strawberry, kiwifruit, passionfruit, manderin, NEW lemon, blood orange, apricot, cherry, raspberry, bosenberry, tomato, pumpkin, cucumber, zucchinni, beans, lettuce, spring onion, leeks, cabbage, cauli, spuds, kumera (not sure if they are doing much though) rocket,basil, thyme, radish (if reubs doesn't eat them all first), corn, peas, egg plant, peppers...umm maybe some other stuff that i forgot i had planted. We also have 7 chooks who demolish all the kids left overs and repay us with lovely fresh eggs. We live 2 minutes walk from the supermarket and 5 minutes from the middle of town on a 700sq meter section..... I'm not an expert by any means, but we make do with what we've got and i love to help others if they have any questions :)!
happymumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2011 at 5:29pm

Oh Cindy I'm jealous of all the planting at your place!  I don't want to plant too much in case I have to move at the end of the year.  If I end up staying I'm going to give my garden a bit more thought - I've basically worked with what I had this year so if I get the chance to, I'd like to add a couple of raised beds and try growing things like beetroot, potatoes, onions and garlic.  Plus adding more blueberries, more strawberries and maybe raspberries as well.  I love being able to pick strawberries straight from the plant.  Actually I love being able to pick anything straight from the garden.

I've just popped in my first ever radishes.  Not even sure I like them but I had to give them a go.  Hopefully if I don't like them the kids will!

Tonight we are eating the first marrow - wasn't quite meant to get to that size but somehow I missed it.  I've not cooked them before so I've tried stuffing it using a recipe off the net as a guide.  I really just threw in a pile of bits and pieces from the fridge / garden and now my fingers are crossed it's edible!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456