FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPrimary Schools and Deciles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
notenufchaos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notenufchaos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Primary Schools and Deciles
    Posted: 12 October 2010 at 9:46am
Ok so my oldest daughter is only 2 years 4 months but i am looking at enrolling her at kindy. i would like to to attend the kindy with the corresponding school so she can move on with her freinds when the time comes.

We live in a small town so she can go to any school.

out of the two schools on our short list one is a decile 8 but is 3km away and across the main highway and railway tracks so not too far BUT the other one is a decile 4 but only 1.4km and two blocks away.

so opinions please does the decile rating mean better education?

DD 1-25/05/2008

DD 2-2/2/2010
Sponsored Links

_H_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _H_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2010 at 9:54am
the simple answer is no. Decile rating has more to do with the wealth of the area around the school, it effects the funding a school gets.

i would forgot about the decile rating and look at the schools, are you happy with the teachers can you talk to parents with kids at the school?
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2010 at 10:45am
Ditto to what H said, decile rating reflects the demographic of the local population and effects funding.

Lower decile schools receive more funding and resources from the Min of Ed, the higher decile schools you'll end up paying as it is assumed you can afford it.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
jaycee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaycee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2010 at 3:10pm
you should have a look at the ERO reports - all schools, kindys and daycares have them.
ERO

cheekymonkeysmum View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheekymonkeysmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2010 at 11:45am
the decile rating only applies to the area in which the school is based ie which area has the most money, the economic status . don't base the school on its decile rating but on the things the teachers and school do, the support they offer etc...cause sometimes the best schools are the lower deciles because you have the teachers who try their best and are there for the kids. Your best option is to visit the school, make up a list of questions that you would like to ask and ask them to see what their response is. Also go with your gut feeling, if you walk into the school and get cold shouldered or you don't feel comfortable or right then they might not be for your child, whereas you can walk into a school and get greeted by friendly faces, the people talk to your child they make you feel welcomed then they may be the one,,,,high decile or not. I find that I go with my gut feeling the most cause you know who is right for you or not. Good luck
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2010 at 12:19pm
Good to know baout the decile ratings not reflected the quality of the teaching etc. Our choices are between decile 1-5.
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2010 at 1:08pm
Yup I would visit the schools first, don't go on decile ratings because some teachers will naturally be better than others because they're more passionate or whatever.

Agree with what others have mentioned above
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2010 at 1:28pm
I sorta look at decile ratings but my reasoning for it is that schools with a higher decile rating generally have more money at their disposal.. not from the govt but from parents.. the higher decile schools that I've looked at have more or better resources and cooler extras (like music stuff etc) because when they do fundraising they end up with a truckload more $ than the low decile ones.

For example at one of the high decile schools here they are building a massive performing arts centre.. there is no way that the really low decile schools could afford to have that type of thing.

Also FIL is working with a decile 1 school at the moment (hes a massey lecturer) and hes said sooo many of the year 1 kids can't even sit through a story, don't know their alphabet etc basically because the parents haven't taught them basic things like that so the teacher has to play catch up with them which takes time away from what they otherwise would be teaching if the kids entered school with those skills.

I think all schools have their pros and cons no matter what their decile. I went to a decile 4 primary school and a decile 3 or 4 high school and I turned out ok
weeheebaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weeheebaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2010 at 5:04pm
the other thing to think of is that schools can go through RADICAL changes in just 2 years. Believe me, achange in principal could turn a school on it's ear in that amount of time (for the better or worse!)

And as a random little known aside, the school named as NZ's top secondary school is only a decile TWO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (yes I have taught there and YES it is amazing! AND it has had great buildings added to the school since I left - buildings are funded by the MOE, usually parental fundraising has very little to do with buildings in a state school)
Nick252714 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick252714 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2020 at 2:53pm
In my opinion, people should understand what learning is from the very beginning. I didn't write anything at school and that I had many problems with writing. I had to get help from a dissertation service because I wasn't able to write worthy texts myself.
 Post Reply Post Reply